Wiki Posts
Search

AmanZoe (Greece)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Musken
Was there an outside pool?
It has 3 outside pools. You can also walk down a path thru some beach scrub to the beach. Also, there are suites that have plunge pools.

The_Daddy, who posts in this forum, reported a good stay.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19177378-post165.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post19184016
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:20 pm

Looks like a nice place. Thanks. Was there an outside pool?
Yes - behind the hotel building - there are rooms/ suites there - we were in room in the middle on the top floor. It's a very relaxed place - even though it was humming because of the yacht race. It's not going to compare to an Aman in terms of space and privacy etc. but it is a lovely place.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:45 am

We would definitely do Amanzoe at the end. Which hotels would you recommend to start with? Preferably not too much travelling in between... Our alternative would be to go to Finca de Cortesin and not go to Greece at all. How would you compare Finca de Cortesin and Amanzoe?

And do you know who will take over as GM at Amanzoe when Henry and Char leave?
There is nothing like an Aman, Musken, as you know very well! Finca Cortesin is a very well managed property - a sort of FS Provence but with a beach club. I would not even begin to compare it with Amanzo'e though, despite the similarity of size.

Problem with Greece is that you have to fly everywhere, as I do not concur that there are any other good hotels on the mainland. I also don't think that somewhere like Katikies on Santorini would be especially good for your son as it is very much a couples island, although I do realise that your son is no ordinary child!

A pool villa at Elounda Gulf Villas, Crete, could be an option, but it is not on the beach and there is not a huge amount of stuff to do in the area.

Not sure if Malaga/Gibralter & Finca Cortesin for 1 week and Athens & Amanzo'e for another week would work flight-wise? Not ideal, I know! Difficult dilemma.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:47 am
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

We have been thinking of Amanzoe for this summer (July/August). Lowest rate is not 1.500 euro per night. This means that we either will not go at all or that we need to reduce number of nights and combine Amanzoe with some other hotel. Our holidays is two weeks long. Any suggestions?
Can you maybe NOT go during high season? From May-June is a bit less expensive - and the weather was quite nice when we were there in May. It would probably be less crowded during that time as well.

As a side note, I see that they no longer charge extra for the 'sea view' accommodations. Probably a nod to the fact that the valley view here is as nice, if not nicer, than the sea view.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:01 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xracer
Can you maybe NOT go during high season? From May-June is a bit less expensive - and the weather was quite nice when we were there in May. It would probably be less crowded during that time as well.

As a side note, I see that they no longer charge extra for the 'sea view' accommodations. Probably a nod to the fact that the valley view here is as nice, if not nicer, than the sea view.
We have to go during school holidays, and out of those, mid summer/high season is the best (other school holidays in March and late October are not ideal for a beach destination).

We stayed two weeks at Sveti Stefan and two weeks at Amanruya mid summer earlier years, and paid around 2/3 of these rates per night. It is not so much that we cannot pay the rates asked at Amanzoe now, more that I feel that it would be over the top, i.e. better to spend parts of the holidays somewhere else and then splurge at the end. Amans are wonderful, but there is a limit to what I am willing to pay.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 1:29 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
There is nothing like an Aman, Musken, as you know very well! Finca Cortesin is a very well managed property - a sort of FS Provence but with a beach club. I would not even begin to compare it with Amanzo'e though, despite the similarity of size.

Problem with Greece is that you have to fly everywhere, as I do not concur that there are any other good hotels on the mainland. I also don't think that somewhere like Katikies on Santorini would be especially good for your son as it is very much a couples island, although I do realise that your son is no ordinary child!

A pool villa at Elounda Gulf Villas, Crete, could be an option, but it is not on the beach and there is not a huge amount of stuff to do in the area.

Not sure if Malaga/Gibralter & Finca Cortesin for 1 week and Athens & Amanzo'e
for another week would work flight-wise? Not ideal, I know! Difficult dilemma.
We have been to Elounda Gulf Villas several years ago and they were quite nice. However I would agree there is not a lot to do on the property, but the villas, views, and pools are very beautiful. You could go to Heraklion one day and see the museum and Knossos. We also did a day boat trip that was organized by the hotel which was very nice with a picnic and all. Mostly we just relaxed and read. We were there for about 5 days.
We are also looking at Amanzoe for this summer and have thought about starting at a resort called the Nafplia Palace hotel and villas which is also in the Pelapponese but do not know much about it. A Greek friend recommended and I checked out their website and it looks nice. I would love to get feedback from others on this resort! It would make travel to Amanzoe easier than going back to Elounda villas which was another idea.
Would love anyone's feedback on Nafplia hotel and villas from flyertalk!
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:53 am

We have to go during school holidays, and out of those, mid summer/high season is the best (other school holidays in March and late October are not ideal for a beach destination).

We stayed two weeks at Sveti Stefan and two weeks at Amanruya mid summer earlier years, and paid around 2/3 of these rates per night. It is not so much that we cannot pay the rates asked at Amanzoe now, more that I feel that it would be over the top, i.e. better to spend parts of the holidays somewhere else and then splurge at the end. Amans are wonderful, but there is a limit to what I am willing to pay.
I did not know you were locked into a specific time period. I have to say that I'm glad I went to this resort when I did. I loved it, but would not pay the rates they are now asking for high season. Plus I would avoid going during this time as it would probably be completely full-up. Granted, the resort has the space to handle this, but I would be concerned about crowding at dinner time (especially since they allow dinner reservations from those not staying on-property).

I also agree with quitecontrary in that combining Amanzoe with a few nights in Spetses would be fun. Spetses was pretty cool and had a completely different feel from the Aman. If I were to stay there, I think I would attempt to rent a private house instead of staying in a hotel. Granted, the Spetses portion of the trip would not be true 'luxury' in the sense that it is usually considered here, but some of the houses available for rent looked pretty nice.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://investing.thisismoney.co.uk/n...cle/id/4719095

Amanzoe Resort's operating performance was, as expected, slower after the high season. The hotel is expected to achieve positive operating profit for 2013, its first full year of operation.

Construction of the four new hotel pavilions (rooms) adjacent to the Amanzoe beach club, which will provide guests with an additional luxury experience by the beach and improve the hotel's operating profitability, commenced in November 2013, with completion now targeted for June 2014.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 6, 2013 at 8:46 am
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:09 am

Should be interesting to see who takes over from Henry & Char Gray when they leave for the UK.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
What are the Virtuoso extras/benefits for Amanzoe vs booking directly with Aman?

We are already going for a Deluxe Pool Pavilion so not concerned about the possibility of upgrade (if any).

Many thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:42 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
What are the Virtuoso extras/benefits for Amanzoe vs booking directly with Aman?

We are already going for a Deluxe Pool Pavilion so not concerned about the possibility of upgrade (if any).

Many thanks!
The amenities are now shown on the new Virtuoso website

All Virtuoso Guests Receive:

Upgrade on arrival, subject to availability
A la carte breakfast daily for up to two in-room guests
One complimentary a la carte lunch for 2, once during stay
Early check-in/late check-out
subject to availability
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
By way of a mini review, AmanZoe was superb. As it currently stands, this is my favourite non-city hotel in Europe.

I was a bit ambivalent about going to a beach resort that is not directly on the beach, but this did not matter at all. If anything my partner and I loved our daytime bicycle rides to the beach.

I also questioned the architecture but, as is the case with other Amans, the reality is better than the online presentation. Having said that, the chosen ancient Greek style could have gone very wrong.

Only hick-up, our (Virtuoso) travel agent had requested a room with a good view. I think that this meant a seaview villa. When we checked in they did not have a seaview villa available and put us in a valley facing one with the understanding that in two days we would move to the other room. This came as a surprise but after seeing a couple of seaview villa I have to say that I prefer the privacy of the valley facing pavillions. Plus for me, it reminded me of all the childhood summers that I spent on a Peloponnesian mountain village.

While I expect that we will be returning to AmanZoe next summer, I fear that the nearby development plans (a golf course, really?) will ruin what makes this place magical. But until then, it will be a favourite.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:02 pm

Amanzoe

Amanzoe

Map| 7 Reviews | 86% Recommended

Amanzoe

Kranidi Argolida, Greece GR 21300

Amanzoe (6 Photos)

Amanzoe

Amanzoe was an extraordinary experience in almost all regards. Having been to Amanruya last year, we were a bit apprehensive that the resort (location, not design) would be very similar. It isn't. One thing that the various pictures and videos did not give me a feel for is how much this resort has a hill-top feel. This is completely different than Amanruya. Also, the countryside looks completely different (in a good way). Amanzoe is further away from the water than Amanruya is, but the beauty of the Greek countryside (and not just the water) more than made up for that. Having said this, if you are going to Greece to stay at a resort that is close to the water, Amanzoe may not be for you.

Unfortunately, our stay here started off on a bit of a sour note. We had arranged for Amanzoe to transport us from, and then back to, the airport. This transportation option is not cheap, so our expectations were high. It was clear when we met the driver at the airport that this service had been sub contracted out by Aman. The driver was not at all friendly, there was no real greeting to speak of (and certainly no towels or water or snacks in the car) and worst of all, the car reeked of cigarette smoke. It was really, nauseatingly bad. At some point after our arrival we discussed the situation with the resort manager and were assured that the trip back would be by an Aman driver and car (and it was). Also, the charge for the trip from the airport was removed from the bill without having to ask. I think this was very classy of them.

Room

We were in villa #11, which is a ‘corner’ unit and had some extra outdoor space. This was one of the villas with the larger pool and a valley view. I have to say that I did not miss the ocean view at all and the views of the valley were absolutely spectacular – so, no problems there. Do be aware that if you are going to book a villa in the ‘valley’ view wing, villas with lower numbers can be overlooked by someone in the gym/yoga/children’s pool area. I would not accept a villa with a number lower than about 8 if you want a guarantee of privacy in the pool.

The villa itself was amazingly well done and masterfully designed (well, mostly). It’s clear that the highest level of materials and workmanship were used. I actually went around looking for places where corners were cut (since these are almost always evident, even at Amans) but found nothing here. I really loved the layout of the living/sleeping areas, given that the lower ceilings in the bedroom imparted a more ‘cozy’ feel and the higher ceilings of the living area really added to the sense of space. There were a number of very thoughtful touches throughout – for example, the sliding wood blinds in the bedroom were backed by screens, so you could open the glass doors completely, close the sliding blinds and not have to worry about bugs getting in. We did this at night and it was quite lovely to get a nice breeze. The villa is light and bright with floor to ceiling glass everywhere. The outdoor area was also fantastic, with plenty of shaded seating as well as two chaises which could be adjusted to get sun. Villa 11 also had an outdoor dining table as well, but only the corner units have that. The pool was lovely, but I had a couple of nits about it – it was a bit too narrow for my taste and it just was not deep enough (I believe the pool started at around two feet deep and only went to three feet at the ‘deep’ end). We had asked for the temperature to be changed in the pool several times and this was always done almost immediately (although it took a while for the change to take effect, of course). Outside, I really loved the use of rosemary and lavender (and so did my nose

Mini bars in the villa are complimentary and well stocked.

Bathroom

My one complaint about the villa was the bathroom. From a design and usability perspective, I think it was a mess. First off, having two separate ‘bathrooms’ (not really full bathrooms, just a toilet and sink) did not feel luxurious to me – it felt superfluous. My partner and I have long ago figured out how to ‘navigate’ only having one toilet while on vacation (and I’ve a hunch that most couples and families have as well). And the fact that there needed to be two separate toilet rooms (each with an adjoining closet) meant that the space was needlessly cut up (and both closets were very small). The shower is, visually, quite nice. I like that the glass ceiling makes one feel like one is outside even when inside. And there were two separate shower heads on either side of the shower. Unfortunately, the water pressure was very weak and the water never really got very hot. The tub was small and took a good 30 minutes to fill (and again, warm, not hot water), but the biggest negative for me was the stairs that go down to the sunken shower area and stairs that go back up to the ‘second’ bathroom area. This really impeded the flow and even worse, became a real hazard when the marble on the floor was wet (from the shower). I fell and nearly knocked myself out on the wet floor (yes, I was sober). I imagine this would also be a hazard for children. I realize all of this is nitpicking and in the big picture the design flaws of the bathroom did not detract from the experience – they just seem so glaring given that the rest of the villa was designed so, well, perfectly.

Service

Service at the resort (except for the pick up) was very nearly perfect. I enjoyed the service at Amanruya last year, but service here was at another level entirely. I can honestly say it was among the best we have ever experienced. The level of English language skills was excellent (much better than at Amanruya) and the staff really seem to have very quickly mastered the art of knowing when to engage and when to allow some distance. We found everyone, from Henry and Char (especially Char who was just wonderful) Gray, Poppy (resort manager) and pretty much all of the staff to be warm and welcoming yet at the same time very efficient. All of staff (with the exception of some management) is Greek. Char was telling us how easy it was to recruit at Amanzoe and how doing so at Amanruya has been an ongoing nightmare. There were no real service slip ups that I can recall (even minor ones): we were always greeted by name, housekeeping was always in to ‘freshen up’ when we left the villa, everyone was always smiling and willing to chat if we wanted to. We always felt welcomed like friends and treated like royalty – and really, isn't that what we all want from Aman service?

One afternoon we had gone to Hydra and did not return until later in the evening (by choice, we were having fun). Char, who had by this time become used to our schedule (we usually eat and retire early) became very concerned that we were not back for our usual (early) dinner. When we saw her later that night, her obvious relief that we were OK was evident. This is indicative of the type of caring attention that we experienced during our time at the resort. In this case, her response did not seem overbearing or affected, but just genuinely concerned (and then happy that we were OK).

Dining

We did have a minor issue related to dining. We have some dining requirements (we try to eat vegetarian, but will eat fish/seafood occasionally) and I neglected to mention this prior to our arrival. As we sat down to dinner for the first night, we noticed that the menu was very limited and there were really no veggie options available outside of appetizers. At the time we were chatting with Char and mentioned this. She brought the chef over and we discussed it with him. He told us he would prepare a special veggie menu for us for the following night that we could use as a basis for the rest of our time there. Unfortunately, this menu never was presented (and we asked) and dining off menu didn’t really work very well. They never seemed to fully understand what we were looking for. Maybe this was a communication issue (although I doubt it since everyone spoke excellent English). Having said that, the food was excellent and well prepared and we were able to take the two veggie options on the menu and add and subtract ingredients to/from them to come up with some decent dishes. We also tried to get them to bring over the lunch menus from the beach club and lunch restaurant (since these had more vegetarian options on them), but they were never able to do this. So, all in all, I think dining (the logistics, not the quality and taste of the food) is something that still needs a bit of working on.

Gym

The resort has an excellent (and well provisioned) gym, yoga area with wonderful views and a fantastic spa. In the past, I have not been crazy about the spas (both in terms of design and treatments) at some Aman resorts, but this one is spectacular. The spa rooms and facilities are both top notch and my treatment was one of the (if not the) best I have ever had at any resort, anywhere. If I were to nitpick here, it would be to mention that there is really no ‘after treatment’ relaxation area.

Pool

The main pool area is lovely and, unlike Amanruya, I did not feel like it was ‘squeezed in’ to the space. There was plenty of space around the pool and, while it was next to the lunch restaurant, I did not feel like it was too close. The only complaint I have here is that there is no real view from the main pool, which seems odd considering the view from the kiddie pool, which is just a little ways from the main pool, is SPECTACULAR – probably the best views of the whole resort. Why they didn't just switch the two is beyond me.

Beach Club

The beach club is very nice – clean, wonderful (and in May, COLD) water and a nice, albeit man made beach. I was not a big fan of the two pools here, since the concrete ‘lip’ around them is so high that one cannot see anything but concrete when one is in the pool. They have designated one pool as adult/quiet and one as family, but given that they are right next to each other, I’m not sure how that will play out during the high season. Getting to the beach club is a 10-15 minute drive from the resort. I do not think one would want to walk or bike the distance. Service at the beach club was excellent, with someone right there to set up chairs, constant refills of water and, when we ordered lunch, it was served quickly and was excellent. There is a small (outdoor) dining area here as well.

As is typical for Aman, there are many places set up for relaxing around the common areas of the resort. I was surprised at how many ‘cold weather’ features the resort had (fireplaces, heating lamps). I would think this place would be very pleasant in the cooler months (assuming there was little rain).

Design

I found the overall design of the resort to be pleasing. The location is certainly spectacular (much more than the pictures would have one believe). I enjoyed the juxtaposition of the light, airy interior spaces with the more classical Greek design elements. Having said this, I think in a couple of cases, the Greek elements are a bit overused (for my taste). I think the use of pillars was a bit overdone and the amphitheater just seems to be there for the sake of being there.

Overall

So, overall, we had an excellent time. I would say this is my best Aman experience, and one of my best overall resort experiences. Although I have highlighted some negatives in addition to the positives, the former pale in comparison to the latter. Go. I think you will be glad you did.

Amanzoe

Would you like to write a review on the Amanzoe?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
We are going to Amanzoe this summer. We like the fact that usually at Aman gratuity is automatically added to the bill, not so at Amanzoe. Does this impact service quality ? Do I need to walk around with cash ? Any recent experiences ?

Thanks

Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by GK1998
We are going to Amanzoe this summer. We like the fact that usually at Aman gratuity is automatically added to the bill, not so at Amanzoe. Does this impact service quality ? Do I need to walk around with cash ? Any recent experiences ?

Thanks

I am not aware that the tipping policy has changed at Amanzo'e. The only person who accepted a tip when I last stayed was the driver who brought us from the airport. Otherwise, I would stick to the tried and tested Aman no-tipping policy and, if you are happy with service, leave an envelope at reception for the staff when you depart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.