Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmanZoe (Greece)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Aventine
I would use the Aman car transfer over random Greek taxi any day of the week. I don't need that kind of grief before arriving at Zoe.
Is the consensus that Amanzoe "gets it" and is a real Aman and preserves the best of Aman despite VD? Thinking about a visit next year if logistics with other travel works out...
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by ridefar
Is the consensus that Amanzoe "gets it" and is a real Aman and preserves the best of Aman despite VD? Thinking about a visit next year if logistics with other travel works out...
Best try plan for next year , as we are , while Paul L is still around . Guillermo has moved on even as I type
They worked hard on it - AMAN ethos - together with the heads of departments who seemed to be with it .
My “ go to “ pre trip was mainly with Guillermo as would say Paul was really busy with others due to a huge wedding “ buy out “ just before our stay last month - September .

Read TR when done - eventually
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:22 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
Thanks! Will arriving at the 14th and see how things work out.
How long are you staying? We’re arriving 18.
ngfan likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar
I would say it's holding on very well.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
How long are you staying? We’re arriving 18.
20th
Could be a Flyertalk-meeting
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:48 am

20th
Might just be another AMANjunkies FTers Do !

Better check “ Community Buzz “ or post there too .
Had a mini one , June last year , in Kila
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
20th
Sure, will arrive on the 18th as well
livefromtuscany and FlyerEC like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:56 pm
formerly vienna-resident

Originally Posted by ngfan
Sure, will arrive on the 18th as well
For real? That’s amazing. Should have a get-together in the bar!
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:31 pm

For real? That’s amazing. Should have a get-together in the bar!
No kidding, it's real.
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: AC E75K, Amex Plat, NEXUS, Aman-user (not really a -junkie)
Thanks! Will arriving at the 14th and see how things work out.
Ha ! We're arriving 13th
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:53 am
formerly vienna-resident

Originally Posted by xray
Ha ! We're arriving 13th
Seems half of this forum is going to Zoe in October
ngfan, xray and offerendum like this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 1:51 am
formerly vienna-resident

So, 2 days at Amanzoe, time for some observations:

The good:
  • beautiful resort, we like the classic Greek theme and Mediterranean vegetation
  • very good F&B overall, at the beach club, restaurant and Japanese restaurant
  • invisible housekeeping so far
  • great weather - 26° daytime temperature in late October, pleasant enough to swim in the still warm sea.
The bad:
  • room number is asked in every single F&B outlet, which is really annoying
  • buggy drivers drive like maniacs - at night with full headlights on and fast as they can go, really dangerous too
  • some service staff seem a bit of end-of-season weary and not very caring/proactive
  • communication issues - after 3 times requesting how we want the bed made up (duvet instead of the heavy blanket), they still don't get it right.

Other observations:
  • While I like the layout of the pavilion, I really hate the marble steps in the bathroom up and down between the vanities; useless and dangerous
  • Technology in the pavilion: there is an old Bose SoundDock, with a connector for the old iPhones, pre-2012; no Bluetooth; I would expect them to be a bit more up-to-date; they can provide a Bluetooth Adapter upon request at a 30 EUR deposit (perfectly fine, but never had this at an Aman)
  • The beach club is a 1 hour walk away, or 10 mins by car. Fine for a few days, but would annoy me for a longer vacation.
  • The public areas, especially the bar, seem a bit "sterile" - some candles, flowers would make for a warmer ambience
  • Sunbeds and tables in the restaurant seem much tighter together than the usual Aman standard
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by livefromtuscany; Oct 20, 2019 at 2:52 am
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Overall a correct description. Most of them drive really like maniacs (talked to Paul about it) and while I wasn't always asked for my roomnumber it was a few times, especially at breakfast (also complained about it). Staff mostly very good, some few weaker links.
Weather indeed very good, Pavillon layout can be an issue. Beach situation not perfect, beach itself nice.
Greetings from Lufthansa lounge which is terrible overcrowded.
Aventine likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:08 pm

Overall a correct description. Most of them drive really like maniacs (talked to Paul about it) and while I wasn't always asked for my roomnumber it was a few times, especially at breakfast (also complained about it). Staff mostly very good, some few weaker links.
Weather indeed very good, Pavillon layout can be an issue. Beach situation not perfect, beach itself nice.
Greetings from Lufthansa lounge which is terrible overcrowded.

The good:
  • beautiful resort, we like the classic Greek theme and Mediterranean vegetation
  • very good F&B overall, at the beach club, restaurant and Japanese restaurant
  • invisible housekeeping so far
  • great weather - 26° daytime temperature in late October, pleasant enough to swim in the still warm sea.
The bad:
  • room number is asked in every single F&B outlet, which is really annoying
  • buggy drivers drive like maniacs - at night with full headlights on and fast as they can go, really dangerous too
  • some service staff seem a bit of end-of-season weary and not very caring/proactive
  • communication issues - after 3 times requesting how we want the bed made up (duvet instead of the heavy blanket), they still don't get it right.

Other observations:
  • While I like the layout of the pavilion, I really hate the marble steps in the bathroom up and down between the vanities; useless and dangerous
  • Technology in the pavilion: there is an old Bose SoundDock, with a connector for the old iPhones, pre-2012; no Bluetooth; I would expect them to be a bit more up-to-date; they can provide a Bluetooth Adapter upon request at a 30 EUR deposit (perfectly fine, but never had this at an Aman)
  • The beach club is a 1 hour walk away, or 10 mins by car. Fine for a few days, but would annoy me for a longer vacation.
  • The public areas, especially the bar, seem a bit "sterile" - some candles, flowers would make for a warmer ambience
  • Sunbeds and tables in the restaurant seem much tighter together than the usual Aman standard
Thanks , offerendum , for letting Paul know too . Sometimes it seems like “ a voice in the wilderness “ ..

and livefromtuscany , helping to summarise what I was going to say for my “ Overall “ bit for my yet to be completed TR “ AMANs going forward or .. 10 different ones this 2019 ? . Will just have to refer to yours More diplomatic than my draft version as of now ..

We weren’t asked for our room number .
Old Oct 25, 2019, 12:38 pm

Thumbs up

Here's my feedback on my Amanzoe stay last weekend based on livefromtuscany's review:

The good:
  • beautiful resort, we like the classic Greek theme and Mediterranean vegetation - absolutely correct
  • very good F&B overall, at the beach club, restaurant and Japanese restaurant - absolutely correct
  • invisible housekeeping so far - same experience here, an Aman signature experience
  • great weather - 26° daytime temperature in late October, pleasant enough to swim in the still warm sea. - yep
The bad:
  • room number is asked in every single F&B outlet,,,, correct, but never experienced that at breakfast
  • buggy drivers drive like maniacs - at night with full headlights and fast as they can go, really dangerous too - except for the headlights issue (glare) never experienced any maniac but reasonable and safe drivers
  • some service staff seem a bit of end-of-season weary and not very caring/proactive - did not have the same impression, very good service throughout...for Greek standards even formidable!
  • communication issues - after 3 times requesting how we want the bed made up (duvet instead of the heavy blanket), they still don't get it right. - no issues here

Other observations:
  • While I like the layout of the pavilion, I really hate the marble steps in the bathroom up and down between the vanities; useless and dangerous - absolutely, a pet peeve and an unnecessary design flaw, especially when travelling with a toddler or handicapped person.
  • Technology in the pavilion: there is an old Bose SoundDock, with a connector for the old iPhones, pre-2012; no Bluetooth; I would expect them to be a bit more up-to-date; they can provide a Bluetooth Adapter upon request at a 30 EUR deposit (perfectly fine, but never had this at an Aman) - no issue with it
  • The beach club is a 1 hour walk away, or 10 mins by car. Fine for a few days, but would annoy me for a longer vacation. - not a biggy for me except for the transfer waiting times when most people head back to the resort at the same time in the late afternoon.
  • The public areas, especially the bar, seem a bit "sterile" - some candles, flowers would make for a warmer ambience - right but no real issue for me
  • Sunbeds and tables in the restaurant seem much tighter together than the usual Aman standard - did not notice any major difference
Summary: A great, true Aman property with the typical tranquil Aman flair and atmosphere. Personal welcome and farewell by GM Paul L. and exec assistant Poppy, great Aman service throughout. Excellent pre-arrival communications. My first ever Aman arriving by rental car . Great road trip from/to ATH: light traffic along the way, in part well maintained highway and beautiful winding road with great sea views - excellent fun for petrol heads and dynamic drivers - get a proper rental for the full experience. Nice views from the property. Resort architecture can be quite challenging for toddlers and handicapped people incl. accessibility. Exploring the vicinity area can be visually depressing in some areas (run down houses, unfinished construction, garbage, rotting cars) but overall nice landscape. Great property gardening. Maybe I am too spoiled by my Amanpulo and Maldives trips but I did not like the beachfront. Beach club is nice with great pools but the public beachfront is neither visually appealing (except for the vistas) nor easy to walk with rough gravel. I definitely prefer the resort and pavilion pools.
Verdict: Absolutely recommended!

xray, offerendum, FlyerEC and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.