LH           SC        2   -LH           GE        2    ---- 0050 ---- ----
LH           SC        2   -LH           IE        2    ---- 0050 ---- ----
LH           SC        2   -LH           ME        2    ---- 0050 ---- ----
LH           SC        2   -LH           RO        2    ---- 0050 ---- ----
LH           SC        2   -LH           RS        2    ---- 0050 ---- ----
LH           SC        2   -LH           TN        2    ---- 0050 ---- ----
LH           SC        2   -LH           TR        2    ---- 0050 ---- ----
LH 0400-0799           2   -LH           SC        2    ---- ---- 0050 0050
LH           SC        2   -LH 0400-0799           2    ---- 0050 ---- 0050     
LH 9439-9439           2  Y-LH                     2    ---- ---- 0045 ----     
LH 9469-9469           2  Y-LH                     2    ---- ---- 0045 ----     
LH                       XQ-LH                          ---- ---- 0130 0130     
                           -LH                       XQ ---- 0130 ---- 0130     
                       2   -LH                     2 A3 ---- ---- ---- 0045     
                       1   -LH                     1 EW 0035 0050 0100 0100     
                       2   -LH                     1 EW 0100 0130 0130 0130     
                       1   -LH                     2 EW 0100 0130 0130 0130     
                       2   -LH                     2 EW 0035 0050 0100 0100     
LH                         -LH                       XQ ---- ---- ---- 0130     
LH                     2   -LH                     2 EW ---- 0040 ---- ----     
LH                     2   -LH                     2 UA ---- ---- ---- 0040     
LH                     2 AC-LH                     2 LG ---- ---- ---- 0200
Print Wikipost

Connecting in Munich [MUC]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:09 am

Connecting to a Trunkroute, such as TXL, FRA, HAM, DUS, CGN... makes it even easier. These flights usually depart from the middle of the pier, between Gates G18 and G32. Not always, but mostly! To connect from a International flight to one of these destination, regardless of passing through security again or not, you find your gate straight ahead.
Nevertheless, pls check your departure gate again on the flight info screens!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 4:54 am

Hello everybody,

I am a new poster to this forum but I've been visiting from time to time and I love the community. I hope maybe sometime I will be able to help others, but for now I am posting in need for help. I'm a little worried about a rather minor detail of my connection, because my connecting time is only 40 minutes and we have foul weather that might delay my first flight.

I will be flying tomorrow with LH1657 and then JP-103 from OTP (Romania) to LJU (Slovenia) via Munich. I've booked both segments on a single ticket and I've already done my web check-in and have printed the two boarding passes for both flights. Both flights arrive and leave in/from Terminal 2.
First flight arrives according to Lufthansa flight status on gate H38 (that should be on level 05) and it's scheduled to arrive on 08:15.
The second flight leaves from gate G38 located on level 04, departure time 08:55 (boarding time 08:25).
As you can see, a mere 10 minutes delay might cause me to lose second flight.

Does anyone know how fast can I get from gate H38 to gate G38?
Do I need to walk on level 5 all the way from H38 to the "Plaza" near H25 in order to descend to level 4? Or will I find some stairs more conveniently located? (I mean, H38 is directly above G38)
Arriving from an EU but non-Schengen country and connecting to a Schengen country, what kind of controls/checks will I need to pass?
I suppose a passport/ID card will be needed on arrival, but what about a security check? I see there are public and secure areas within the terminal.
Will I be able to remain within a secure area and not have to pass the security check on may way from arrival to departing gate?

Also, I have a second question related to the arrival of LH1657.
According the the Terminal 2 map (found on Munich Airport website) arrivals should be on Level 03.
On the other hand, according to Lufthansa flight status, LH1657 arrives on gate H38 (which is on level 5).
Could somebody help me understand this?
I thought all the gates, including G- and H- gates are departure gates?

I hope my message was not to long and/or hard to follow.
Any help I can get would be much appreciated!
Thank you.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:17 am

Hi bogdgan, welcme to FT

That's a lot of questions - I'm not the ultimate MUC expert, but will try to help as much as possible.

First, as you're on one ticket, and you're also holding a valid Schengen visa (for going to Slovenia) you won't have to worry. In any case, even with severe weather, LH will take care of you, pay for a hotel etc. should the worst happen.

If your incoming flight is on time, 40 minutes will work fine. If it's slightly delayed (20min or so) MUC does usually arrange direct transfer to your next flight, so you should be fine as well. If your plane is later than that, they'll automatically rebook you on the next connection, provide meals/food voucher, and if needed, a hotel accomodation for you. In that case, go for Lufthansa Transfer counters which can be found at several places airside.

I would not try to memorize all gates, etc. now, but rather just find your way when you arrive there. MUC is rather good signed, it's easy to navigate.

As you're arriving from Non-Schengen, you'll have to go through passport control to enter Schengen. If you're having a tight connection (but your plane is on time, therefore no direct transfer) and hit a long queue, ask a supervisor, they should let you move ahead of the queue. For Non-Schengen to Schengen transfer, you'll usually have to go landside, then airside again, where there is a mandatory security control. Afaik only HON/F pax can cut by going through the lounge somehow (never had this pleasure in MUC myself)

So, 40 minutes for Non-Schengen to Schengen transfer will indeed by very tight - maybe you're going even more comfortable IF your plane is slightly delayed and they arrange direct ramp to ramp transfer But if not, just ask to cut the queue as the supervisor - if you're tight, and on a valid connection, it's in their interest to make you catch your plane.

And if not.. well, LH will book you on the next plane, and has to take care of you till then according to EU regulations

Enjoy your flight (as much as NEK allows )
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:26 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, bogdgan!

As YuropFlyer has already answered most of your questions the only thing I'd add is in MUC T2, Level 5 = H gates, Level 4 = G gates, and Level 3 is baggage claim and exit. If you are connecting from an H gate to a G gate you shouldn't need to go down to Level 3, but the best option is not to worry about where passport control or security is but to follow the signs for your departure gate.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:32 am

Thank you very much for the very fast reply, YuropFlyer! And thenk you NewbieRunner!

since I come from a EU country, I won't be needing a Schengen visa, I am travelling only with my ID card.
But I suppose the security is different (it seems to me that gates with lower numbers than 38 are for pessengers coming from Schengen countries and the others are behind an additional security check)
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by bogdgan
since I come from a EU country, I won't be needing a Schengen visa, I am travelling only with my ID card.
But I suppose the security is different (it seems to me that gates with lower numbers than 38 are for pessengers coming from Schengen countries and the others are behind an additional security check)
Since you are arriving from a non-Schengen country you will have to go through passport control to enter Schengen in MUC. Non-Schengen flights arrive at H gates (or I gates) but your flight from OTP might arrive at a remote apron position and you might be taken to the terminal by bus. Whichever way I believe arrivals from OTP do not need to clear security in MUC.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:13 pm

Another question on the Schengen front: I'll be on a LH flight from Amsterdam to Beijing, connecting in MUC. Would I be required to go through security again at MUC?

The connection time should be fine for MUC at 65min, however I saw the flight from Amsterdam is rarely on time, quite often 10-20mins late.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Berggeit
Another question on the Schengen front: I'll be on a LH flight from Amsterdam to Beijing, connecting in MUC. Would I be required to go through security again at MUC?

The connection time should be fine for MUC at 65min, however I saw the flight from Amsterdam is rarely on time, quite often 10-20mins late.
No need to clear security again, only passport control.

MUC is a very good airport for short connections. If the delay is just 10-20 min you should be OK.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by saviox
No need to clear security again, only passport control.

MUC is a very good airport for short connections. If the delay is just 10-20 min you should be OK.
Ok thanks.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I am also usually very nervous about these 35 min connections in MUC. However, so far they have always worked just fine !
That is good to know.

I have a 35m connection on LH from a non-Schengen European country to a London flight (all business class). Will I have to clear passport control, customs or security?
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
That is good to know.

I have a 35m connection on LH from a non-Schengen European country to a London flight (all business class). Will I have to clear passport control, customs or security?
No need to clear passport control or customs. Security clearance may depend on which country you arrive from.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
It's ages since I've been thru MUC, so I have a couple of (probably obvious) questions for you MUC regulars... I'm flying LHR-MUC-SIN in a couple of weeks time, with an hour's connection in between

1. My LHR-MUC has been downgauged from an A320 to an Embraer. Does that mean a remote gate, and, if so, where does the bus deposit you? (i.e. will there be time for me to pop into the lounge for some Haribo?)

2. Do the late evening long haul departures all still leave from the southern end of the H gates? How long a schlep from the lounge?

3. Do you have to pass security for LHR arrivals? I know you do if you are travelling LHR-MUC-Schengen, but wondered if I needed to when connecting non-Schengen (I am thinking about duty-free liquids from LHR...)

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 1, 2012, 5:52 am

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by kt74
1. My LHR-MUC has been downgauged from an A320 to an Embraer. Does that mean a remote gate, and, if so, where does the bus deposit you? (i.e. will there be time for me to pop into the lounge for some Haribo?)

2. Do the late evening long haul departures all still leave from the southern end of the H gates? How long a schlep from the lounge?

3. Do you have to pass security for LHR arrivals? I know you do if you are travelling LHR-MUC-Schengen, but wondered if I needed to when connecting non-Schengen (I am thinking about duty-free liquids from LHR...)

Thanks in advance
1. I'm not sure that's really a downgrade, to be honest, I prefer the E190 to a NEK'ed 320 as far as comfort goes... But yes, Bus gate is probable. It shoul drop you at one end of the Terminal, as a non-Schengen arrival. If you're on time, there should be time to stop by the Lounge, though.
2. Pass...
3. It's not Security you have to pass, it's Immigration, which obviously for a longhaul departure, you won't need to go through.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by matt in france
1. I'm not sure that's really a downgrade, to be honest, I prefer the E190 to a NEK'ed 320 as far as comfort goes... But yes, Bus gate is probable. It shoul drop you at one end of the Terminal, as a non-Schengen arrival. If you're on time, there should be time to stop by the Lounge, though.
2. Pass...
3. It's not Security you have to pass, it's Immigration, which obviously for a longhaul departure, you won't need to go through.
Thanks, matt in france

1. Well, I did say downgauged, not downgraded! But, yes, 1x1 seating in C class is an improvement on those silly NEK seats. I was wondering whether the non-Schengen arrival buses drop you at one end of a pier (long walk) or right under the central terminal area (pop upstairs)

3. Why do you need to pass through immigration for a non-Schengen to non-Schengen flight? You definitely need to re-clear security for many connections in MUC (my main bugbear is that non-Schengen to Schnegen drops you right back at main security with all the departing passengers instead of a dedicated transfer security facility), but I just wondered if UK security was considered to be good enough that secondary clearance was not required when connecting to a non-US non-Schengen departure (as would be the case if you were arriving from many Schengen points)
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Hilton Diamond, AF/KL & BA basic memberships, Tufty Club Exec Plutonium
Originally Posted by kt74
Thanks, matt in france

1. Well, I did say downgauged, not downgraded! But, yes, 1x1 seating in C class is an improvement on those silly NEK seats. I was wondering whether the non-Schengen arrival buses drop you at one end of a pier (long walk) or right under the central terminal area (pop upstairs)
Last time I went through MUC and got the bus (because BHX is always out at the Barbie Park), we were dropped somewhere in the bowels of MUC and passed through Immigration to the Schengen and then straight up into the Central area. The only time since the last set of changes I've been non-Schengen to non-Schengen, I was in F and didn't reclear security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.