Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jashsu
It was 70 people for me. Funny story about it actually. I entered the queue but when they came to check my passport and outbound flight they said I was disqualified due to my flight being at 5pm that day, and the validity period began from 7pm of that day through end of September. Off by two hours! Luckily while I was sulking off I remembered I have another booked flight this month so they let me back in the line And yeah I kinda was after the 250k bottles...

No they provided minis. I was inspired by a post earlier in this thread where the poster got a "doggy bag" of H17 minis to go. Would have gotten a couple but the CA said it was the last one. I asked near the end of the flight out of consideration for the other pax. TBH now i'm wondering if they even have H17 in a full size bottle anymore. Last time I was served H17 on a F flight they just brought the drink out, no bottle.
Sounds like they've tightened up on the lottery a bit. They only checked passports when I was there, my Japanese friend brought has brought his and his number was called, so he handed me his ticket and I checked out with my flight details.

I am sure they had more minis, same happened to me, but it is understandable they need to save them for future passengers since they probably can't get more.
I'm lucky I still have a full case which I've been saving at home.

Sounds like you had a great trip and thanks for sharing!
jashsu likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:43 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by spc354
The other option I did not know about then is that you can order liquor on Amazon Japan. If you have confirmed your hotel, then you can order with an appropriate lead time and have the hotel hold shipment for you. This is what I am going to try on my next visit!
Cheers.
If you sign up for Amazon JP Prime (free trial when I did it), you can schedule delivery at no charge as well, depending on the seller. I did this so the package was there the day before I checked in.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by invalyd
Yes, have been to the shop and tasting many times without doing a tour.
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Same here, no reservation required for the tasting room.
I stand corrected then, thanks. Something for me to look forward to whenever I next have business in Kansai.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 8:09 am

Price for Japanese stuff in Germany seem to drop at the moment, at least for some not too old ones.
e.g. Yamazaki 12 is available for ~ 99€, scored Hakushu 12 for the same price.

Grabbed three bottles Hibiki Master Select for 60€ at Lisboa airport... nice price
invalyd likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
How often and at what time do they hold the lottery at Ginza Mitsukoshi? Might be debating between that and trying my luck at duty free as well
Old Sep 10, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
How often and at what time do they hold the lottery at Ginza Mitsukoshi? Might be debating between that and trying my luck at duty free as well
About once a month. I would expect the one one to be around early October. Check their website for details

https://japandutyfree-ginza.jp/event/index.html
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:26 am

Hello all, I am currently in Hakata, Fukuoka this week and I am hunting for Yamazaki 18 years over here, any chance would you guys have any recommendation as to where I can purchase it from? I tried searching a few liquor store today but has not luck.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Vincent Lee
Hello all, I am currently in Hakata, Fukuoka this week and I am hunting for Yamazaki 18 years over here, any chance would you guys have any recommendation as to where I can purchase it from? I tried searching a few liquor store today but has not luck.
Good luck.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
About once a month. I would expect the one one to be around early October. Check their website for details

Thanks...when I went last year, all my trusty spots had nothing left. I'm setting my expectations low and just hoping to grab some Blender's Choice, and maybe luck into some bottles at duty free.

BTW, since I frequently re-read this thread, please tell me you grabbed a few bottles at the store you found H21, H30, Y18, and Y25 at MSRP earlier this year!
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:56 am

Thanks...when I went last year, all my trusty spots had nothing left. I'm setting my expectations low and just hoping to grab some Blender's Choice, and maybe luck into some bottles at duty free.

BTW, since I frequently re-read this thread, please tell me you grabbed a few bottles at the store you found H21, H30, Y18, and Y25 at MSRP earlier this year!
You will find Blender's no problem. Head over to BiG Ginza, they've usually got plenty of stock for 9k.

I did indeed pick them up. I've been collecting for quite a few years now so I've managed to collect pretty much a few of every Suntory bottle including H30 and Y25

Unfortunately the issue with collecting is the more rare bottles you get, the more expensive the next one becomes...Hibiki 35, Yamazaki 35 etc are way out of my price range
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:45 am

You will find Blender's no problem. Head over to BiG Ginza, they've usually got plenty of stock for 9k.

I did indeed pick them up. I've been collecting for quite a few years now so I've managed to collect pretty much a few of every Suntory bottle including H30 and Y25

Unfortunately the issue with collecting is the more rare bottles you get, the more expensive the next one becomes...Hibiki 35, Yamazaki 35 etc are way out of my price range
BiG was where I got my H21 2 years ago...last year all they had was Harmony. Being that I'll be in Tokyo and not venturing very far, any tips other than ducking into the smaller liquor stores that aren't in tourist frequented areas? I've already got H12,H17, H21,and Y12, so main target is Y18 at this point unless H30 or Y25 is spotted at a price I can't refuse.
antebellum likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 11:52 am

BiG was where I got my H21 2 years ago...last year all they had was Harmony. Being that I'll be in Tokyo and not venturing very far, any tips other than ducking into the smaller liquor stores that aren't in tourist frequented areas? I've already got H12,H17, H21,and Y12, so main target is Y18 at this point unless H30 or Y25 is spotted at a price I can't refuse.
As I see you are based in California, I think you will have much better luck there than in Tokyo for Y18. The US stores get a much bigger allotment, whereas most bottles go to restaurants and bars in Japan.
I've scored many bottles of Y18 at retail price here in SF since this year's shipment came in.

My tip would be to enjoy your trip and not waste your time just to save a few hundred bucks. There are so many incredible whisky bars in Tokyo where you can sample bottles that now sell for ridiculous prices. Personally, I'd rather spend my time and money sampling some rare drams that I cannot otherwise access.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum

Also, the duty free floor at Takashimaya in Shinjuku has a similar lottery event.

https://www.takashimaya-dfs.com/en/e...ys-information
fmark and jashsu like this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:39 pm

As I see you are based in California, I think you will have much better luck there than in Tokyo for Y18. The US stores get a much bigger allotment, whereas most bottles go to restaurants and bars in Japan.
I've scored many bottles of Y18 at retail price here in SF since this year's shipment came in.
Ironically in the past year i've spent more time in Tokyo than in SF. I live on the peninsula.

My tip would be to enjoy your trip and not waste your time just to save a few hundred bucks. There are so many incredible whisky bars in Tokyo where you can sample bottles that now sell for ridiculous prices. Personally, I'd rather spend my time and money sampling some rare drams that I cannot otherwise access.
The hunt can be enjoyable too, but I agree at this point time is more well spent on bar experiences than bottles.
invalyd likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Vincent Lee
Liquor Express (Soku Hi) and Don Quixote, in Nakasu, may have it, but only if you want to spend more than 60,000 Yen for it. You won't find it anywhere else in Fukuoka because no one has it.

Or save time walking around Fukuoka, and do yourself a favor and just enjoy what Japanese whisky you can drink at Bar Kitchen, Bar Leichardt, or Bar Higuchi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.