Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by vindor
All this talk about a Japanese whisky lottery intrigued me. Here's link to the event on Nov 6. I'm going for sure, heading over Friday for a week and have a lunch meeting in Ginza and this starts at 10:30 from the looks of it. https://japandutyfree-ginza.jp/en/ev.../20191106.html
Remember you need to show a visitor visa/landing permission and evidence of an international departure within 30 days (airline confirmation email works).
Old Oct 29, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jashsu
Remember you need to show a visitor visa/landing permission and evidence of an international departure within 30 days (airline confirmation email works).
You don't need a visitor visa, Japanese people with departing tickets can purchase as well
Old Oct 29, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
You don't need a visitor visa, Japanese people with departing tickets can purchase as well
Oh! Mea culpa.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:33 am

Haneda & Narita airport

Hi all. My friend going to visit Tokyo(haneda airport) coming 17th Nov. Some questions as below:

1. If he want to buy hibiki 21, hakushu 18 & Yamazaki 18, he just try his luck to check with the duty free shop see whether have stock or not when he depart ?

2. How about the hibiki30, Yamazaki25 & hakushu25? Need to go through the process of lucky draw? How is it? Fasola online? Or JAL online? Or at the airport duty free?
Thanks
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:05 am

Check above comments

Originally Posted by Kelvin13
Hi all. My friend going to visit Tokyo(haneda airport) coming 17th Nov. Some questions as below:

1. If he want to buy hibiki 21, hakushu 18 & Yamazaki 18, he just try his luck to check with the duty free shop see whether have stock or not when he depart ?

2. How about the hibiki30, Yamazaki25 & hakushu25? Need to go through the process of lucky draw? How is it? Fasola online? Or JAL online? Or at the airport duty free?
Thanks

A link to the Ginza duty free lottery was posted a few comments above. It might be worthwhile reading the previous comments as there are many helpful tips. But to summarize what others have posted, the duty free shops are hit and miss. Try as many stores as you can. Best luck will be at places like Liquor Mountain but the prices are sometimes slightly higher. Why not order online and have it sent to a hotel? Best of luck!
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by vindor
All this talk about a Japanese whisky lottery intrigued me. Here's link to the event on Nov 6. I'm going for sure, heading over Friday for a week and have a lunch meeting in Ginza and this starts at 10:30 from the looks of it. https://japandutyfree-ginza.jp/en/ev.../20191106.html
Did you win anything? I was there too, but no luck. 180 tickets, 25 winners... 90% were Chinese.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Did you win anything? I was there too, but no luck. 180 tickets, 25 winners... 90% were Chinese.
180 is an unusually high turnout, both events I attended had 50-70 attendees which made the odds of winning something fairly high.

Interesting to see that they removed the Hakushu 18 from lottery this time and increased the quantities of the other bottles.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by invalyd
180 is an unusually high turnout, both events I attended had 50-70 attendees which made the odds of winning something fairly high.

Interesting to see that they removed the Hakushu 18 from lottery this time and increased the quantities of the other bottles.
My mistake... there were about 80 people there. Interestingly, ticket #1 won (older Japanese guy) and also ticket #77 (guy who came up to the line right before 10:50 and was lucky to get an entry). Oh well, better luck next time!
invalyd likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:15 am

FamilyMarts are restocked in my area (Kyoto/Osaka)

Looks like it’s easier to find Japanese whiskey in the U.S. these days! I felt lucky just last night to find the Suntory trio of no age statements (Hakushu, Chita, Yamazaki) at my local FamilyMart. I checked a few other FamilyMarts and they were also restocked. All with no age statement bottles only but better than nothing!
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
Looks like it’s easier to find Japanese whiskey in the U.S. these days! I felt lucky just last night to find the Suntory trio of no age statements (Hakushu, Chita, Yamazaki) at my local FamilyMart. I checked a few other FamilyMarts and they were also restocked. All with no age statement bottles only but better than nothing!
NAS bottles, and especially Chita, have always been relatively easy to locate.
antebellum and Mizunara like this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 12:56 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Anyone else gonna be in town for the Tokyo Whisky Festival next weekend? I’ll be making the trip up from neighboring Kanagawa. Whisky Richard was talking about the festival bottles earlier, and it seems like the Mars Komagatake is going to be one people are going to be after. I’m probably gonna skip the madness of lining up for the lottery for that and just be perusing the other booths. If Kirin is exhibiting again, I’m looking forward to getting another dram straight out of one of their casks.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by Mizunara
Anyone else gonna be in town for the Tokyo Whisky Festival next weekend? I’ll be making the trip up from neighboring Kanagawa. Whisky Richard was talking about the festival bottles earlier, and it seems like the Mars Komagatake is going to be one people are going to be after. I’m probably gonna skip the madness of lining up for the lottery for that and just be perusing the other booths. If Kirin is exhibiting again, I’m looking forward to getting another dram straight out of one of their casks.
I'd go but I have a conflict next weekend. I've been attending comiket consistently for the past few years and I can attest that Japanese have a crazy tolerance for queues. Probably easier to just taste the dram in a bar. Do report back if you buy or taste anything noteworthy.

See you at Chichibu Matsuri
Old Nov 9, 2019, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
See you at Chichibu Matsuri
Ha, provided I get tickets! Haven’t been so fortunate enough yet.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mizunara
Ha, provided I get tickets! Haven’t been so fortunate enough yet.
If you live in Japan then just buy them on eplus when it goes live.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:24 am

Could have sworn there was a lottery for them. Guess not. If the dates work out next year, I'll probably end up going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.