Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:12 pm

Thanks 🙏

I just wanted to thank all of the contributors to this thread. I know a lot of people including myself hesitate to reveal their secret hunting spots! I live in Kyoto and visit the Yamazaki distillery occasionally. The only thing I’ve been able to find there are the distillery exclusive souvenir bottles,
which are limited to one per a person for about 1,400 yen. I’ve had the best luck at Liquor Mountain locations but even there, it’s been hit and miss recently.

Anyone else having better luck at the Yamazaki distillery gift shop recently?
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
I just wanted to thank all of the contributors to this thread. I know a lot of people including myself hesitate to reveal their secret hunting spots! I live in Kyoto and visit the Yamazaki distillery occasionally. The only thing I’ve been able to find there are the distillery exclusive souvenir bottles,
which are limited to one per a person for about 1,400 yen. I’ve had the best luck at Liquor Mountain locations but even there, it’s been hit and miss recently.

Anyone else having better luck at the Yamazaki distillery gift shop recently?
I was able to score few bottles of Y18 at the Hakushu distillery few months back. The clerks were very excited to tell me it was in stock, and it also sold out before the first tour even started. So the distillery really does come down to lucky timing unless you're willing to show up every morning. Overall I still find it easier to score bottles in Kansai versus Tokyo.

Liqour Mountain has unfortunately joined the ranks of becomimg another tourist ripoff shop in the past few years.
Old Oct 24, 2019, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Not all bottles come with boxes, especially cases that been allotted for bar/restaurants.
ahh I see, thanks for the clarification, I was in Osaka last year and found a bottle of Y12 at a local Liquor Mountain but was curious why it didnt have a box with it.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Premier, UA Gold
Saw the Nikka 25 Taketsuru for the first time in duty free at Narita and grabbed the only one they had yesterday. Great price at ¥69,000. Over the last year or so I've been able to get Hibiki, Yamazaki and Hakushu 18-25 yrs in the limited edition packaging in duty free but haven't seen any of those in months.
invalyd and jashsu like this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by vindor
Saw the Nikka 25 Taketsuru for the first time in duty free at Narita and grabbed the only one they had yesterday. Great price at ¥69,000. Over the last year or so I've been able to get Hibiki, Yamazaki and Hakushu 18-25 yrs in the limited edition packaging in duty free but haven't seen any of those in months.
Very nice score!
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:20 pm

Nice find! Can you share which terminal and which duty free shop you spotted in?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Premier, UA Gold
T2 in one of the shops across from gate 71, pretty sure it was the FaSoLa shop. I think there are 4 shops in a row there and three have alcohol, two of those with good whiskey but only this one ever has the really good stuff available. You'll see bottles with dusty sold out signs that have been there for months but always worth asking. I've gotten a few bottles of "sold out" whiskey that way. I'm back in a couple of weeks and will be looking for more
Old Oct 26, 2019, 7:21 pm

on a recent trip i found a pretty cool 190ml 2003 single yamazaki W store special cask - special type of sherry cask - as well as several limited edition 300ml hakushu and yamazaki special W store specials. i have little interest in more regular stuff.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:28 pm

I see some of the previous posts have photo's where it looks like you can sample the whisky for a fee before purchasing?
Is there a place that offers this around Giza or Akihabara?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by sinecure
I see some of the previous posts have photo's where it looks like you can sample the whisky for a fee before purchasing?
Plenty of places, they're called bars

Kidding aside , you can sample before buying at Liqour Mountain 777 or Hasegawa. They don't have all bottles for sample though. Don't expect to try anything rare.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:16 pm

Liquor Mountain looks good before I drop $200 on a bottle. We were going to go the the society but it looks like they only have 6 bottles of Japanese SMWS whisky, and quite pricy for a dram.

Is there anywhere you recommend that does flights were you can sample a little bit of many Japanese whiskies?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Liquor Mountain looks good before I drop $200 on a bottle. We were going to go the the society but it looks like they only have 6 bottles of Japanese SMWS whisky, and quite pricy for a dram.

Is there anywhere you recommend that does flights were you can sample a little bit of many Japanese whiskies?
Visiting a distillery (Yamazaki, Hakushu, Miyagikyo, or Yoichi) would be your best bet to be able to sample at reasonable prices.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 12:58 am

As mentioned above, Liquor Mountain. The Ginza 777 in particular has a great selection for tasting. The tastings are 10ml-- 1/3 oz. Really just enough to get your tongue wet.

invalyd likes this.

Last edited by jashsu; Oct 27, 2019 at 1:39 am
Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by vindor
T2 in one of the shops across from gate 71, pretty sure it was the FaSoLa shop. I think there are 4 shops in a row there and three have alcohol, two of those with good whiskey but only this one ever has the really good stuff available. You'll see bottles with dusty sold out signs that have been there for months but always worth asking. I've gotten a few bottles of "sold out" whiskey that way. I'm back in a couple of weeks and will be looking for more
The store in question is the Fa-So-La DUTY FREE Liquor & Tobacco ANNEX. Not sure which trading company runs it, but I believe its NAA retailing co, not ANA or JAL.

Last edited by jashsu; Oct 28, 2019 at 7:01 am
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:55 pm

Hi,
I have a friend is current vacation in Japan and will come back to US on Oct 30th. What should i ask him to bring some back from the airport ? Any one has a status of what stock at the airport ? Thanks

Last edited by Kevin0413; Oct 28, 2019 at 4:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.