Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:03 pm

Like @jashu, i was able to make a trip to the Hakushu distillery last week. The tasting room is open to everyone but the tours can be reserved for 1000 yen and drivers will be given a different color tag, no drinking allowed (i took one for the family and let my dad and brother enjoy themselves). As part of the tour, you'll get 3 drinks at the end and the designated driver gets a choice of any non-alcohol beverage and a special Hakushu glass.

Here's a pic of the tasting menu:

Pureboy likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: CX DM, SingAir, Hyatt
Originally Posted by jashsu
[/color]
Good datapoint. It's a nice looking presentation, but reviews seem to suggest it's not a better dram than Harmony.

Gift shop takes credit card, but tax free is not available.
I found the Master Select to be far superior to the regular Harmony in many side by side tastings. Much more complex.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:12 pm

As for the haul, we did one of those mystery boxes at Liquor Mountain Ginza and was able to get a Akashi White Oak and a Amahagan Edition 2.

For some reason, on the way back my brother was lucky enough to encounter these two as well:

7473chad likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 7473chad
I found the Master Select to be far superior to the regular Harmony in many side by side tastings. Much more complex.
I have to agree. There are much more sherry notes on the Master's Select. They are not really comparable.
7473chad likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:07 am

Headed to Japan on Monday, but decided to scope out a few local liquor stores I've never been to before to try to find some deals. Ended up with a bottle of Hibiki 17 for $300, which looks to be a pretty solid price based on what I'm seeing on wineseeker and at the larger liquor stores in town (half what Astor is charging). Hoping to snag some of the mini bottles at the PHT so I don't need to break into the big guy any time soon.
7473chad likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:21 am

Have a quick trip to Tokyo next week, managed to grab a pair of Yamazaki 25s for duty free pickup (thanks to my colleague for the 2nd bottle). I must say it is nice to be traveling to Japan and not have to worry about wasting time hunting or packing bottles in the suitcase.
jashsu and 7473chad like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Have a quick trip to Tokyo next week, managed to grab a pair of Yamazaki 25s for duty free pickup (thanks to my colleague for the 2nd bottle). I must say it is nice to be traveling to Japan and not have to worry about wasting time hunting or packing bottles in the suitcase.
Nice. Lottery? Or...
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:46 pm

Nice. Lottery? Or...
This was from the pre-order system
7473chad likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
This was from the pre-order system
FaSoLa preorder? Man i've been reloading that forever.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 2:56 pm

FaSoLa preorder? Man i've been reloading that forever.
That's right, me too... I guess I had some lucky timing
7473chad likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:59 pm

Here's a preorder for Fuji Sanroku 18 LE at NRT, if anyone's interested. Pbb will be gone shortly.

https://www.jaldfs.co.jp/shop/g/g90326386/
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:08 pm

There seems to be many fake Japanese whiskeys for sale. Does anyone have a good source to ensure you are not buying stuff that is merely distilled in Scotland and aged in Japan?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by cookedinfat
There seems to be many fake Japanese whiskeys for sale. Does anyone have a good source to ensure you are not buying stuff that is merely distilled in Scotland and aged in Japan?
Nomunication has a page on this:
https://www.nomunication.jp/2018/07/...-real-or-fake/
rustykettel and 7473chad like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Second Nomucation for easily sorting Japanese and "Japanese" whiskies and "whiskies".

Also, welcome to FlyerTalk cookedinfat!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:12 pm

Note that some industry groups are moving to form categorial definitions, which could help fix the problem. Nomunication's articles about this:

https://www.nomunication.jp/2019/09/...-requirements/
https://www.nomunication.jp/2019/06/...panese-whisky/

Edit: welcome to FT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.