Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by thrwwrtlvsn
Will stay a few days in Osaka and Kyoto, does anyone have any recommendations for liquor shops in both cities? Or do I have to try my luck at KIX?
Besides what has already been said in regards to checking the usual stores, if you're interested in just drinking and not so much owning, you can alternatively taste the entire Suntory catalog all the way up to Yamazaki 25 / Hibiki 30 / Hakushu 25 and all the ones in between at the distillery less than an hour north of Osaka. The only hard part is getting a reservation (they don't accept walk-ins). The free course with access to the museum gets you access to the paid tasting counter where you can sample as you please. Sample prices are extremely reasonable, at just 3000 yen a glass for the above three.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Mizunara
Besides what has already been said in regards to checking the usual stores, if you're interested in just drinking and not so much owning, you can alternatively taste the entire Suntory catalog all the way up to Yamazaki 25 / Hibiki 30 / Hakushu 25 and all the ones in between at the distillery less than an hour north of Osaka. The only hard part is getting a reservation (they don't accept walk-ins). The free course with access to the museum gets you access to the paid tasting counter where you can sample as you please. Sample prices are extremely reasonable, at just 3000 yen a glass for the above three.
Actually 2900 yen each.

Last edited by jashsu; Sep 9, 2019 at 5:24 pm Reason: Remove image, used it in a latter post
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:20 am

Also if you are departing from KIX, you can try participating in the Suntory duty free sales lottery.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by jashsu
Actually 2900 yen each.
Even better!
Old Sep 9, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just to clarify, you don't need a reservation for the tasting bar and gift shop, only the guided tours.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 3:37 pm

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that you do need to make one for a given time slot for the free course, otherwise you’ll get turned away at the gate.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: FB, MM
All the same places to check in Tokyo also apply for Osaka/Kyoto. Supermarkets, department stores, bic camera, donki, liquor stores like Liquor Mountain. Expect to pay street price for Suntory age stated bottles.
Thanks a lot! Since I already made an extensive list for Tokyo, I guess I will try my luck in Osaka/Kyoto.

This is actually something I would like very much to do but I have never managed to book during my stays there. One day I will be able to visit all major distilleries in Japan, I guess that will be my Japan whisky tour.

Also if you are departing from KIX, you can try participating in the Suntory duty free sales lottery.
Already on the block to try my luck there.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:42 pm

Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that you do need to make one for a given time slot for the free course, otherwise you’ll get turned away at the gate.
Yes, have been to the shop and tasting many times without doing a tour.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:15 pm

Reposting my last trip report from japanesewhiskyreview:

-----

Flew to Tokyo over the Labor Day weekend for a quick whiskey hunt and Hakushu Distillery visit. Mostly hit the places suggested in whiskey Richard’s Aug 2019 “where to buy” guide. Unfortunately didn’t find much I wanted to buy at the price points I wanted to buy at. Here’s the haul for the trip:

Kanosuke New Born 2018 – Whiskey Plus – $30
Akkeshi New Born Foundation 4 – Yoshiike Ueno (also widely available at Bic) – $39
Taketsuru 17 – Mega Donki – $224
Hakushu Distillery Exclusive – Hakushu Distillery – ¥1440
Yama 12 Mini – Hakushu Distillery (combo pack with smoked bacon) – Forgot
Hibiki 17 Mini – ANA F cabin – Free?

I arrived at Hakushu Distillery at 10:30am, and as I entered I saw Japanese customers on their way out, presumably having visited just to buy at the gift shop. So visit the gift shop right at opening if you want a shot at the 18/21 or 25/30 range bottles. Even Hibiki Harmony, of which there were 17 bottles at 10:30am, was all gone by noon. The highlight of the distillery visit and maybe the entire trip was having 15ml pours of Yamazaki 25, Hakushu 25, and Hibiki 30 for ¥8700 at the distillery bar.

On Tuesday I had a choice to either head to Narita early in the morning to check duty free or go to Ginza Mitsukoshi to participate in a Suntory aged whiskey purchase lottery. These are the same “airport exclusive” bottles sold at airport duty free (e.g. Kacho Fugetsu) and at the same MSRP. Since I had just two weeks earlier gotten two bottles of H21 and one bottle of Hakushu 18 from Narita relatively late in the day (once at 11am, and once at 2pm) I decided to head to the lottery event. Unfortunately my number was not drawn until the very last bottle, and only Hakushu 18 was available, so I decided to pass. Didn’t have any luck at the airport either– all the good stuff had been picked clean. Such is the whiskey hunting life.

On my flight back I had the cabin attendant pour the John Walker King George V and took the Hibiki 17 to go.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Picked up a Hibiki Masters Select at YVR for CAD113. Not a bad deal. Slightly less than Japan.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:00 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by invalyd
Yes, have been to the shop and tasting many times without doing a tour.
Same here, no reservation required for the tasting room.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
I showed up without a reservation, and got lucky. A couple was there with a kid, so one of them had to stay back and I took the place. That said, there is access to the store and paid tasting even if one is not on the tour. I would suggest showing up as early as you can and then go to the shop the first thing, so you can get access to the meager daily quota of restocking. I didn't and therefore could find nothing worthwhile to buy. The 3000Y price is true... a great bargain! Had the time of my life and a very pleasant walk back to the train station (however, be careful: I fell asleep on the train and almost missed getting off at Shin Osaka on my return).

The other option I did not know about then is that you can order liquor on Amazon Japan. If you have confirmed your hotel, then you can order with an appropriate lead time and have the hotel hold shipment for you. This is what I am going to try on my next visit!
Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:24 pm

Reposting my last trip report from japanesewhiskyreview:

-----

Flew to Tokyo over the Labor Day weekend for a quick whiskey hunt and Hakushu Distillery visit. Mostly hit the places suggested in whiskey Richard’s Aug 2019 “where to buy” guide. Unfortunately didn’t find much I wanted to buy at the price points I wanted to buy at. Here’s the haul for the trip:

Kanosuke New Born 2018 – Whiskey Plus – $30
Akkeshi New Born Foundation 4 – Yoshiike Ueno (also widely available at Bic) – $39
Taketsuru 17 – Mega Donki – $224
Hakushu Distillery Exclusive – Hakushu Distillery – ¥1440
Yama 12 Mini – Hakushu Distillery (combo pack with smoked bacon) – Forgot
Hibiki 17 Mini – ANA F cabin – Free?

I arrived at Hakushu Distillery at 10:30am, and as I entered I saw Japanese customers on their way out, presumably having visited just to buy at the gift shop. So visit the gift shop right at opening if you want a shot at the 18/21 or 25/30 range bottles. Even Hibiki Harmony, of which there were 17 bottles at 10:30am, was all gone by noon. The highlight of the distillery visit and maybe the entire trip was having 15ml pours of Yamazaki 25, Hakushu 25, and Hibiki 30 for ¥8700 at the distillery bar.

On Tuesday I had a choice to either head to Narita early in the morning to check duty free or go to Ginza Mitsukoshi to participate in a Suntory aged whiskey purchase lottery. These are the same “airport exclusive” bottles sold at airport duty free (e.g. Kacho Fugetsu) and at the same MSRP. Since I had just two weeks earlier gotten two bottles of H21 and one bottle of Hakushu 18 from Narita relatively late in the day (once at 11am, and once at 2pm) I decided to head to the lottery event. Unfortunately my number was not drawn until the very last bottle, and only Hakushu 18 was available, so I decided to pass. Didn’t have any luck at the airport either– all the good stuff had been picked clean. Such is the whiskey hunting life.

On my flight back I had the cabin attendant pour the John Walker King George V and took the Hibiki 17 to go.
Nice. I attended the Ginza lottery a few weeks ago and won a Hibiki 21. Have quite a few of them already but it was a fun experience nonetheless. Turnout was approx 50 people so odds were decent of winning, as long as you weren't after the 250k bottles.

Regarding your flight home, did you literally ask for the large bottle to go and they obliged? Or are you referring to the minis?
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by spc354
The other option I did not know about then is that you can order liquor on Amazon Japan. If you have confirmed your hotel, then you can order with an appropriate lead time and have the hotel hold shipment for you. This is what I am going to try on my next visit!
Cheers.
Alternately ship it to a friend (and if you don't have a friend in Tokyo, make one!) or a Tenso address. Note that Tenso will not ship alcohol to the US so you will still need to ship it to yourself at a later time. Some full service hotels will receive packages for you before your arrival. I once had a Sunroute hotel receive packages two weeks in advance. Obviously check with the hotel before you attempt this.

Another method is ship to konbini. Might be a bit risky if you have never done it before though:
https://medium.com/@lazypatric/order...i-adac3ad98c45

Last edited by jashsu; Sep 9, 2019 at 6:34 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 9, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Nice. I attended the Ginza lottery a few weeks ago and won a Hibiki 21. Have quite a few of them already but it was a fun experience nonetheless. Turnout was approx 50 people so odds were decent of winning, as long as you weren't after the 250k bottles.

Regarding your flight home, did you literally ask for the large bottle to go and they obliged? Or are you referring to the minis?
It was 70 people for me. Funny story about it actually. I entered the queue but when they came to check my passport and outbound flight they said I was disqualified due to my flight being at 5pm that day, and the validity period began from 7pm of that day through end of September. Off by two hours! Luckily while I was sulking off I remembered I have another booked flight this month so they let me back in the line And yeah I kinda was after the 250k bottles...

No they provided minis. I was inspired by a post earlier in this thread where the poster got a "doggy bag" of H17 minis to go. Would have gotten a couple but the CA said it was the last one. I asked near the end of the flight out of consideration for the other pax. TBH now i'm wondering if they even have H17 in a full size bottle anymore. Last time I was served H17 on a F flight they just brought the drink out, no bottle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.