Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
no, that would be $800 for the limited edition. dekanta is not a reliable source of pricing information.

lots of clueless whisky buyers these days...
My source:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/h...+japan+limited

What am I missing? Yes I've seen lower prices but they're invariably out of stock.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wyogold
My source:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/h...+japan+limited

What am I missing? Yes I've seen lower prices but they're invariably out of stock.
and why exactly do you think those stores still have it in stock? because nobody is buying them. not to mention, it is illegal to import and sell 700ml bottles in the US, so they are also operating in a very grey area.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:20 am

and why exactly do you think those stores still have it in stock? because nobody is buying them.
I must be really dim then. What comparator do you use then? Low price but not available is completely meaningless. What source would you have then for $800 as an average going rate?

Either way this discussion is stupid. JPY 50K is a great deal in both of our books.
groovbusta and invalyd like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:23 am

Either way this discussion is stupid. JPY 50K is a great deal in both of our books.
I don't disagree. Be happy you scored them and enjoy the bottles
groovbusta likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
I must be really dim then. What comparator do you use then? Low price but not available is completely meaningless. What source would you have then for $800 as an average going rate?
I'm aware of some private / members only whisky forums where people buy/sell/trade at less than secondary prices. But to your point, not readily available to the average joe. 50K JPY is a great price and you should be over the moon to have scored two. Hopefully you'll open one of them too!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by groovbusta
I'm aware of some private / members only whisky forums where people buy/sell/trade at less than secondary prices. But to your point, not readily available to the average joe. 50K JPY is a great price and you should be over the moon to have scored two. Hopefully you'll open one of them too!
It also depends on what market (varies by country) you are in. I see one secondary market that airport duty free LE bottles are being sold for $550 USD for Hibiki 21, $475 for Hakushu 18 and $650 for Yamazaki 18 this week! Prices are dropping in some markets already!!
invalyd likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
It also depends on what market (varies by country) you are in. I see one secondary market that airport duty free LE bottles are being sold for $550 USD for Hibiki 21, $475 for Hakushu 18 and $650 for Yamazaki 18 this week! Prices are dropping in some markets already!!
Where is this? EU, US ...
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
What sad times these are, where someone will go through the hassle of buying Hakushu 18LE only to sell it for a measly $25 profit!
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:21 am

What sad times these are, where someone will go through the hassle of buying Hakushu 18LE only to sell it for a measly $25 profit!
If even $25 profit! These prices include domestic shipping!! I suspect that a lot of flippers are hoarders at first and now those particular markets are cooling off. Surprisingly Hakushu 18 is the hardest one to find among LEs!
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
NRT DF store by gate 61 has Hibiki 21 Limited edition for JPY 50K. Limited to one / customer. Bought two between my wife and I. Just got them this morning - they were not allowed to say how many bottles but I got the impression that it wasn't a whole lot (surprise). Great deal since these go for $1 - 1.5K per bottle. I was surprised how dry Japan has become for Japanese top shelf whiskey. Earlier I found three bottles of Yamazaki 12 at a Piccolo for JPY 16K one night, blinked, went back next day to buy, all three were gone.

Last spring there was still a half decent selection at upscale dept stores with Nikka 12 etc, now nothing except very average drams. Things surely have changed. Apparently the chinese now use top shelf Japanese whiskey as a status symbol.
Um, I did found Nikka 12 this January at Takashimaya in Kyoto.

invalyd likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by antebellum
Um, I did found Nikka 12 this January at Takashimaya in Kyoto.
And ... ?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:22 am

And ... ?
...and you claimed it's not available which it readily is.

Last edited by invalyd; Jul 7, 2019 at 2:28 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:48 am

...and you claimed it's not available which it readily is.
​​​​​​1) that was half a year ago
2) nikka discontinued the 12 since then

​​​​
Old Jul 7, 2019, 2:53 am

​​​​
thanks. I'm well aware. it's still readily available.

Last edited by invalyd; Jul 7, 2019 at 6:33 am
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:09 am

​​​​
There were still plenty of Nikka 12 at DF store just couple weeks ago at MSRP. My previous post show couple pictures I took at Haneda. And yes it is getting harder to find in the city but I believe DF stores at airports still have them in stock!!
invalyd likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.