Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by james21_h

oh man.... sorry to hear... that is just freakin rude.... I would’ve pushed him back and told him go F off in Chinese! So sad people behave this way... I’m originally from Taiwan btw! We behave much better haha
Been to both Taiwan and the mainland. Taiwan food is better! I think it's a cultural thing in terms of Japan and the PRC. You get so used to the go along, get along attitude in Japan that when something like this happens there's a momentary shock.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist

Tasted this incredible dram last night, probably my favorite Hibiki of all time. Never realized it's actually a 17 yr mixed with 30 year Yamazaki malts and Chita grains!
Aloha1, groovbusta, DrAlex and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
Where did you find it? What price?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:45 pm

That was my buddy who poured me a drink at his bar for free! Those bottles usually go on auction for about $1500. Only 4,000 of them were released.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
That was my buddy who poured me a drink at his bar for free! Those bottles usually go on auction for about $1500. Only 4,000 of them were released.
Could find only one online in the USA for sale at Japanese Drams in LA. $2500!!

And you have one heck of a buddy!
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:48 pm

Back from a week in Tokyo. Did not spend much time looking but I got NFTB, Nikka Miyagikyo Single Malt NAS and Moon Glow 2019 LE at SRP at Yamaya Dogenzaka and Nikka 12 at NRT. All tax free.
Saw many super marked up Yamazaki, Hahushu and Hibiki, even NAS ones are highly marked up, so i passed. Was thinking, I should have brought some of those Hakushu 12 I got recently here in US to sell there instead.
Also did some drinking - Yamazaki 18, Taketsuru 21 at Hyatt Regency when it had the 50% off happy hour coupon and got free NFTB & Fuji-SanRoku Signature blend at Hilton (Diamond member), Chita and Hibiki harmony at random restaurants
7473chad likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Aloha1
Could find only one online in the USA for sale at Japanese Drams in LA. $2500!!

And you have one heck of a buddy!
A nice friend indeed. Amazon Japan has a bottle for ¥228,000.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/サントリー-メローハー...y&sr=8-1-fkmr1
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:23 pm

Just got back from Japan.
Managed to find 3x Nikka 12, 3x NFTB, Yama NAS, Yama distillery only release, Hibiki BC and a Nikka Tailored.
Not much pickings and most of those are available in Shinsaibashi area at reasonable prices.

I hear there will be a release of age statement whiskies right before the Olympics.
7473chad likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:05 am

A bright note after my return! For grins, I went to a local liquor store near me where I know the owner just to see if he might have anything on the shelf. Lo and behold, 2 bottles of Yama 12 at $99 USD plus 6% tax. Now he has zero on the shelf.
invalyd, DrAlex and 7473chad like this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:32 am

NRT DF store by gate 61 has Hibiki 21 Limited edition for JPY 50K. Limited to one / customer. Bought two between my wife and I. Just got them this morning - they were not allowed to say how many bottles but I got the impression that it wasn't a whole lot (surprise). Great deal since these go for $1 - 1.5K per bottle. I was surprised how dry Japan has become for Japanese top shelf whiskey. Earlier I found three bottles of Yamazaki 12 at a Piccolo for JPY 16K one night, blinked, went back next day to buy, all three were gone.

Last spring there was still a half decent selection at upscale dept stores with Nikka 12 etc, now nothing except very average drams. Things surely have changed. Apparently the chinese now use top shelf Japanese whiskey as a status symbol.
7473chad likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by wyogold
Great deal since these go for $1 - 1.5K per bottle.
uhm, no they don't.

Yamazaki 12 at a Piccolo for JPY 16K one night, blinked, went back next day to buy
that is a not a good price. Y12 is not discontinued and can still be found for 9k in Japan.
7473chad likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:57 am

uhm, no they don't.
On the secondary market I mean. I know there are huge markups but it seems that the resale market is the only way for many (including me) to get anything anymore.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:59 am

On the secondary market I mean. I know there are huge markups but it seems that the resale market is the only way for many (including me) to get anything anymore.
price is about $800 these days on the secondary markets, nowhere near the $1.5k you mention.
james21_h likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:02 am

price is about $800 these days on the secondary markets, nowhere near the $1.5k you mention.
For the regular 21, yes, google for the limited edition.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:08 am

For the regular 21, yes, google for the limited edition.
no, that would be $800 for the limited edition. dekanta is not a reliable source of pricing information.

lots of clueless whisky buyers these days...

Last edited by invalyd; Jul 5, 2019 at 4:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.