Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: FB, MM
Did someone have tasted the Mars Komagatake Single Cask Bourbon 2015 Takashimaya Buyers Selection? I couldn’t find anything on Google and was curious if it were worth a shot. Thanks!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 2:40 am

Thanks for the previous info/advice

I tried my best so far, but its pretty hard....

Hi.. been in Kyoto/ Osaka 4 days...been running around checking...the map may look small on the phone, but its a ton of walking.

Empty of good stuff at all the Isetan/ Tamashimaya/ Daimaru dept stores, i even checked their basement and top floors...

Several Liquor Mountain in osaka Have Hibiki 21 for ¥792,00 ...

This is a good place to hunt...Theres a small east/west street just north of Dotunbori with 3 liquor stores in a row, including a Liquor Mountain.. the middle store with a lady clerk/ boss showed me her hand calculator ¥50,000 for Hibiki 17... i passed.. the third smaller liquor store had Hibiki Blenders Choice for ¥9,400.....

Tiny Namba Yamaya also has couple
Bottles Hibiki BC hidden on bottom row of glass cabinet for ¥ 10,000. The Dotunbori Yamaya is a nice big store but only Nikka by the Barrel for ¥2400..

Kyoto station Don quiote has Hibiki Harmony for ¥19,400.......Avanti Aeon Mall Grocery store next door has zilch....

Yamazaki Distillery has great tastings as everyone has said.. Gift shop, just bought some souvenir glasses..don't bother for Vintage bottles.. even the workers are very apologetic when asked...i can see on their faces, they’ve been asked a million times if they have any Hibiki or Yamazaki...

whisky in general: i’ve seen Talisker 18: ¥13,000. Redbreast 15: ¥7890

Bourbonwise: i have yet to see Blanton’s SFTB. Just Blacks/Reds : ¥3500/ 5500-6000.... i see Wild Turkey 13: ¥6000.... Four Roses super premium: ¥ 6800..

Still have 5 days to go next in Tokyo.
invalyd and 7473chad like this.
Old Oct 4, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by kenshinxl85
I was able to score the Hibiki Harmony Master’s Select Limited Edition packaging at Hong Kong International Airport yesterday for 1590 HKD. Seemed like they had quite a few stock in multiple duty free shops, but they were flying off the shelves real quick.

I plan to go to the Yamazaki distillery in a few days and was wondering if the gift shops accept credit card since the tasting room only accepts cash. Thanks in advance.

Gift shop and Bar takes credit cards.. my Costco Visa... nothing like tasting $100 by 11am lol ( ¥2900 x 3, and ¥300 -Yamasaki 12 Sherry Cask). Free water lol
Old Oct 4, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Warren Chiang
Gift shop and Bar takes credit cards.. my Costco Visa... nothing like tasting $100 by 11am lol ( ¥2900 x 3, and ¥300 -Yamasaki 12 Sherry Cask). Free water lol
The tasting bar takes credit card now? That must be a recent change...
Old Oct 4, 2019, 11:44 am

Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by Warren Chiang
Yamazaki Distillery has great tastings as everyone has said.. Gift shop, just bought some souvenir glasses..don't bother for Vintage bottles.. even the workers are very apologetic when asked...i can see on their faces, they’ve been asked a million times if they have any Hibiki or Yamazaki...
Did you at least get the distillery exclusive single malt? These seem to sell out around noon. If you want a shot at getting allocated bottles you need to enter the gift shop at opening.

My favorite item from the gift shop is the Tarukun smoked salmon jerky. It's really good! https://tabelog.com/imgview/original?id=r9027654634370
Old Oct 4, 2019, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by jashsu
Welcome to FT

Did you at least get the distillery exclusive single malt? These seem to sell out around noon. If you want a shot at getting allocated bottles you need to enter the gift shop at opening.

My favorite item from the gift shop is the Tarukun smoked salmon jerky. It's really good!

This was 2 days ago..We got there at 915am... it’s a very quiet/ sleepy town, thank god for the signs although there is only 1 main path to the distillery...there were about 10 other people milling about.. my wife booked us on the self-tour and looked thru the museum early on...so we entered the gift shop when they opened.... no exclusive bottles single-malt😥.... There was the mini Yamazaki12 bottle 50ml Bottle attached to a Souvenir booklet for ¥1500 so I passed on that . (I looked at it 3-4 times, not the 180 ml Version)... i even asked the sales clerk at the counter if they have any Hibiki/ Yamazaki and they apologized for no stock, and i’ve come to know the universal crossed-arm sign means “none” in Japan, lol....

yes, we bought some cured bacon and salmon jerkey in foil pouch, was good, but no food allowed in the tasting area...i was the second person to get the drams, zero line at all.... when we left at 1130am, the whole tasting room was full, and the line was 15 deep lol...the 2 lady bartenders were in full action by then...i had a hard time at the end finishing 4 pours, added just a touch of water to each glass...
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:49 am

First sighting of Yamazaki 12 (¥19,800) in a store!...its a bigger, supermarket size Liquor Mountain about 1- 1.5hrs by JR Train going North up Lake Biwa from Kyoto...was just happy to see it, but i passed on buying it.... Also had Hibiki BLenders Choice ¥15,800... Evan willaims 12: ¥3,700..... KaVaLan Soloist Vinho Barriquie ¥19,900..... no Blantons......

NAS Yochi ¥4200..... NAS Hakushu: ¥6480......ill post pictures when the forum allows me to do so after 5 posts.....Cheers!!
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:23 am

Pics of current prices

Please dont mind the reflections.. my kids are happy i found the Yamasaki12 in the wild...they think my mission is done, lol......

Liquor Mountain Lake Biwa: probably fairest /local Japanese prices you’re gonna see.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:35 am

PROTIP: When you're scouring through duty free, don't just dismiss the Roku gin displays outright. Look a little closer. Otherwise you might miss something nice.

invalyd, james21_h and 7473chad like this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
The tasting bar takes credit card now? That must be a recent change...
I spoke with one of the bartending staff at Hakushu bar and this is apparently the case, but only at the Yamazaki bar for now. The Hakushu bar is still cash only.
invalyd likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jashsu
I spoke with one of the bartending staff at Hakushu bar and this is apparently the case, but only at the Yamazaki bar for now. The Hakushu bar is still cash only.
Nice. I much prefer the Hakushu bar since it is way less busy, but there is no ATM to be found anywhere in the area. Had to make a visit to the post office in Kobuchiza last time.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Nice. I much prefer the Hakushu bar since it is way less busy, but there is no ATM to be found anywhere in the area. Had to make a visit to the post office in Kobuchiza last time.
Somewhat harder to justify visiting Hakushu just for the bar since it's minimally going to cost 10k for a wide pass and another 5k for taxi.

Speaking of which I was the very first customer into In The Barrel on Monday. Nope, no allocated items. Ended up with just another distillery limited bottle and Harmony.

As for off-menu stuff at the bar, they were unfortunately out of most of it. They had the rye type and wine cask Essence of Suntory and that was about it. Had that and then naturally the 25/25/30 stuff.
7473chad likes this.

Last edited by jashsu; Oct 7, 2019 at 6:11 pm Reason: clarification
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:39 pm

The thread talked about Conrad Tokyo and Park Hyatt. What about other luxury hotels in Tokyo like the Andaz Toranomon?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
The thread talked about Conrad Tokyo and Park Hyatt. What about other luxury hotels in Tokyo like the Andaz Toranomon?
Probably all the five star western hotels have some exclusive private bottlings, private casks, etc. Check also Ritz Carlton and The Peninsula.

https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotel...fering-the-bar
https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/...ula-tokyo-2018
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:54 pm

Oh i mean like getting cheap mini bottles.
7473chad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.