Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2019, 10:28 am

Thank you.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:21 am

Spent a week in Tokyo and was chasing Y12 totally unsuccessful. Even got the guys from the reception desk in my hotel calling shops to check whether any bottle was left available. Eventually moved to Kyoto and there found one for 24800 yen - the very last one left in that liquor shop.

Now looking for Y18, the limited airport edition...Any idea whether I could get hold of one and would be the price?
Old Sep 29, 2019, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by G123
Spent a week in Tokyo and was chasing Y12 totally unsuccessful. Even got the guys from the reception desk in my hotel calling shops to check whether any bottle was left available. Eventually moved to Kyoto and there found one for 24800 yen - the very last one left in that liquor shop.

Now looking for Y18, the limited airport edition...Any idea whether I could get hold of one and would be the price?
Welcome to FT.

If you're based in the US, try finding Y12 at home, it's easier here.

As for Y18, you may or may not find it at the airport for 50k yen. If you're willing to open your wallet, just go to Liquor Express in Ginza.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
That is a terrible price for a bottle of Y12.
7473chad likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 2:13 pm

With Japanese whisky prices out of control, it can be hard for new buyers to understand whether the bottle they see in a store is a good deal. There's no substitute for intuition born from experience, but here are two tools to get you into the ballpark:

1. Kakaku. Price tracking and aggregator. https://kakaku.com/drink/whiskey/ite...7677&pdf_so=p2
2. Dekanta. Take the Dekanta price and halve it. For the common core expressions that should be close to a good deal price. https://dekanta.com/product-category...illeries-open/
Old Sep 29, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Y12 is pretty easy to find IMO. Even the Whisky Shop in UK with its markups have it listed for only 135 GBP, still significantly less than 24800 JPY
invalyd likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:05 pm

Seems like Y12 is making its rounds again in Costco based on the slickdeals posters in the forums there.

I tried the various Pavilions in Socal near me last weekend but unfortunately no luck.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by miuk
Seems like Y12 is making its rounds again in Costco based on the slickdeals posters in the forums there.

I tried the various Pavilions in Socal near me last weekend but unfortunately no luck.
Thank you! Checked state liquor website and restocked in Oregon as well. Staff at a local store coughed up a bottle after giving the initial brush off.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:35 pm

Hi there, I’m able to score the Yoichi & Miyagikyo Rum Wood Finish Set from 2017 for about 390€. I’m aware that the prices are a little bit higher within the shops, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it or not... Any recommendations?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by olivere
Hi there, I’m able to score the Yoichi & Miyagikyo Rum Wood Finish Set from 2017 for about 390€. I’m aware that the prices are a little bit higher within the shops, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it or not... Any recommendations?
Welcome to FT.

395€ is the retail price for that set so the price is right. As for whether it is worth it.. entirely up to you and your tastes. Personally none of those Nikka expressions really blew me away.
7473chad likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Thank you! Checked state liquor website and restocked in Oregon as well. Staff at a local store coughed up a bottle after giving the initial brush off.
what is state liquor website...?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat, UA GS
Just got back from NRT and all they had was NAS. Was able to pick up a few Nikka G&G though for 5,000 yen. It is a pretty cool display piece but don't know if I'll ever crack one open.
invalyd likes this.

Last edited by esquesk; Oct 1, 2019 at 5:00 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Welcome to FT.

395€ is the retail price for that set so the price is right. As for whether it is worth it.. entirely up to you and your tastes. Personally none of those Nikka expressions really blew me away.
Thank you for the warm welcome

To be honest the only reason is to score a collector edition. The NAS Nikkas for that price...
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Tokaitalbo
what is state liquor website...?
Oregon Liquor Control Commission's Find Liquor In Oregon | Oregon Liquor Search
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: FB, MM
Did anyone were able to pre-order/score Nikka 12 at KIX?

Duty free website shows it as sold out and it has been like that for a few weeks already. I guess it has been replaced definitely by the Tailored version?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.