Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2021, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by strider2k
I assume these are reasonably priced and not some outrageous amount a liquor store can mark up?
Well there is a receipt posted a few posts up, so you can judge for yourself.
strider2k likes this.
Old May 2, 2021, 9:30 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
A buddy just flew back to Germany and took this photo at 10am, April 30th... YMMV on duty free inventory.

Old May 3, 2021, 6:42 am

Hibiki 17 is back?

Looks like we be seeing the return of legend?

Last edited by Miana; May 3, 2021 at 7:08 pm Reason: Picture didn’t upload
Old May 3, 2021, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Miana
Looks like we be seeing the return of legend?
Nobody saw this one coming... /s
Miana likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 6:33 am

Stock them up while you can! Coworkers grabbed two more from haneda duty free for me!

Old May 8, 2021, 6:39 am

Because of a recent news I had to grab a few more when I saw them at my local seiyu and aeon stores! ¥11000 each.

Old May 8, 2021, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
Because of a recent news I had to grab a few more when I saw them at my local seiyu and aeon stores! ¥11000 each.
Any word for Suntory on this?
I've seen some sources dispute the information on that flyer as not correct.
Old May 8, 2021, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Any word for Suntory on this?
I've seen some sources dispute the information on that flyer as not correct.
no official words. But I remember when they announced they are going to discontinue Hakushu 12 and back then a lot of people doubted that was true. So I’m stocking some just in case plus even if H17 is back I’m sure that I will not see it at msrp in person unless I pull some favors! Plus BC is pretty good at their price point these days!
invalyd likes this.
Old May 8, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Plus BC is pretty good at their price point these days!
Just curious.
Are you saying the price point of ¥11,000 is relatively good, or are you saying BC is a whiskey that to you is worth ¥11,000?

While I like Japanese whiskey, I have hard time wrapping my mind around spending over ¥10,000 on a bottle of NAS for personal consumption, especially when there is plenty of 15-18yr single malt whiskey from Scotland for that price.
Miana likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT

While I like Japanese whiskey, I have hard time wrapping my mind around spending over ¥10,000 on a bottle of NAS for personal consumption, especially when there is plenty of 15-18yr single malt whiskey from Scotland for that price.
BC is blended with at least 15 yr old barrel and it is pretty tasty and I wouldn’t mind paying the msrp. I understand it’s a blend whisky and a lot of scotch single malts cost less but as current state of the japaneee whisky it is one of the better value whiskies out there! To each their own! Look at some Ichiros world blend! They cost more than BC!
JapanFlyerT and invalyd like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
​​​​​​Age alone doesn't necessarily imply superiority. At ¥10,000 many would agree it is one of the best Japanese drinkers available in terms of price vs quality. But hey enjoy your scotch, more for us
james21_h likes this.
Old May 9, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by invalyd
​​​​​​Age alone doesn't necessarily imply superiority. At ¥10,000 many would agree it is one of the best Japanese drinkers available in terms of price vs quality. But hey enjoy your scotch, more for us
Sounds like I need to give it a try...

EDIT: Just picked it up for ¥11,800 (tax included)at my local shop. He said they get 3-4 BC a month, but not on a fixed schedule.
invalyd likes this.

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; May 10, 2021 at 4:04 am
Old May 10, 2021, 4:59 pm

With the Hibiki Blossom Harmony to be launched a few weeks away, and the secondary price not yet known, I thought I’d pick up the last few 2020 Essence bottles in Ginza yesterday.

Old May 10, 2021, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
With the Hibiki Blossom Harmony to be launched a few weeks away, and the secondary price not yet known, I thought I’d pick up the last few 2020 Essence bottles in Ginza yesterday.
Price? I picked up one awhile back for Y14,000. Not sure how much shops charge these days...
Old May 10, 2021, 7:35 pm

Price? I picked up one awhile back for Y14,000. Not sure how much shops charge these days...
Yen 13,800, though have seen it much higher on Amazon as stocks are now getting scarce. Read it has Chita distilled from 2000 and guess it comes from the same or similar barrels that the new Blossom Harmony comes from, with the Sakura casks - Will make an interesting comparison with the new Hibiki if I can get my hands on one without paying too much of a premium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.