Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Couple of reports.

Did a few sweeps around Ginza -- not much to be had (not surprising). So instead I did the foolish thing and bought a bottle of H17 for 42k Yen which is absurd but still cheaper than what I can find it for on the secondary market in the US -- justified on the grounds that it's my absolute favorite and now I have 3 bottles in back-up to try and last the decade.

Found NAS Yoichi and Miyagiko at Liquor Express for Y4.7k (I think) and they also have Nikka12yo which I would have snagged too but had no room in the bag.

Duty Free at NRT yesterday they had a few bottles of the NAS Yoichi and Miyagiko in the back of the big liquor Fa-So-La in T2 that's in the direction of the "70" gates (and also has a bar) for Y3.7k
Old Oct 1, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SQ50
Anyone has opened or tried the new Hibiki Blender's Choice? I would like to hear some impressions of it

Thx
I have, it's very good, but I still prefer the H17 if I had to chose between the two.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma
Probably point at the product, give them money (look at the register if unsure of final price). Tax free stores just give you duty free options if you qualify (take your passport), but you can still buy with duty is my understanding.

Store: ??? | ???? | ???? ?????
I wanted to ask how does getting it past security work, will they check? Do I put it in carry-on baggage or hold it with me? I usually get all my liquor in duty free shops past security.

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
No thats Shinanoya (fine store, but little Japanese whisky).

I meant Yamaya

https://www.google.ca/maps/@35.66857...7i13312!8i6656
Ah okay, went with what you said in the original post, will check both out and see if I can get lucky... Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by an1030
I wanted to ask how does getting it past security work, will they check? Do I put it in carry-on baggage or hold it with me? I usually get all my liquor in duty free shops past security.
All of it has to go in a checked bag -- they most certainly will check and confiscate if you try and take it in a carry-on and through security
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by an1030
Thanks, will see if it is still there when I arrive...

How does buying alcohol outside of duty-free work? I have never done this before!
you pay for product. You receive product. The only reason you might want to go duty free is that you MAY save money (though usually marked up) as here are no taxes (though taxes are low in japan for alcohol) and you don’t have to worry about putting the duty free bottle in checked luggage because you’re past security.

Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by Duke787
Couple of reports.

Did a few sweeps around Ginza -- not much to be had (not surprising). So instead I did the foolish thing and bought a bottle of H17 for 42k Yen which is absurd but still cheaper than what I can find it for on the secondary market in the US -- justified on the grounds that it's my absolute favorite and now I have 3 bottles in back-up to try and last the decade.
Was in Ginza a couple nights ago, showing a US visitor around, and saw Liquor Mountain had a glass cabinet displaying some interesting vintage bottles. One of them was a Yamazaki Sherry Cask bottled 2016, selling for 700,000 yen. Makes me wonder what a bottle of the 2013 that started this whole Japanese whisky boom would fetch these days.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Does anyone know what the market might pay for Hakushu 12 these days now that they're no longer being produced? I bought a batch for USD 60-70 / bottle and potentially looking to get rid of a few.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Does anyone know what the market might pay for Hakushu 12 these days now that they're no longer being produced? I bought a batch for USD 60-70 / bottle and potentially looking to get rid of a few.
Why don't you go search auction sites or secondary markets? This isn't really the place to discuss flipping whisky bottles.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Was in Ginza a couple nights ago, showing a US visitor around, and saw Liquor Mountain had a glass cabinet displaying some interesting vintage bottles. One of them was a Yamazaki Sherry Cask bottled 2016, selling for 700,000 yen. Makes me wonder what a bottle of the 2013 that started this whole Japanese whisky boom would fetch these days.
Liquor Mountain is well known for extortionate prices. I've seen them list vintage Yamazaki minis for $200 a pop which can also be had for $30 if you know where to look. Just because they list that bottle at 700k doesn't necessarily indicate it's true value. If all my bottles were worth what Dekanta charged for them I'd be retired already
james21_h likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Why don't you go search auction sites or secondary markets? This isn't really the place to discuss flipping whisky bottles.
Not trying to sell them here -- just asking the experts what the value might be.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:18 pm

Not trying to sell them here -- just asking the experts what the value might be.
$100, maybe a bit more if you find a sucker.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by invalyd

$100, maybe a bit more if you find a sucker.
Wow, assuming that's in the US? In HK the standard price for these bottles is HKD 2880 at the moment in most liquor stores!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:54 am

Wow, assuming that's in the US? In HK the standard price for these bottles is HKD 2880 at the moment in most liquor stores!
that doesn’t indicate what your bottles are worth as anyone with any sense will know they can be bought at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited by invalyd; Oct 3, 2018 at 8:59 am
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:35 pm

Back to buying Whisky in Japan...some bottles of Hibiki NAS at Kakuyasu...Yen 5000+Tax. Now thats a great price, right?

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/h...y+whisky+japan

On the bargain front - Kirin`s Gotemba based Fuji FUJI SANROKU blend for Yen 1,380, and Signature Blend for Yen 4,800 - both superb drams.

Last edited by daizawaguy; Oct 3, 2018 at 3:58 pm
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:27 am

What About Nagoya?

I am seeing a lot of discussion about Narita & Haneda, but I am flying through Nagoya. How is the duty free at NGO? Would I be able to find some Nikka FTB, Yamazaki 12, and Nikka Gold & Gold Samurai bottles? A friend of mine is getting married, and they'd love the samurai bottle, but I've only heard about it at the Narita airport.

FYI, I am traveling to Kyoto, Nagoya, and a day trip in Tokyo during my visit to Japan. Not much shopping opportunity in Tokyo, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.