Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A month ago on ANA F from LAX-NRT, we got to taste the Hibiki 21. Good stuff (as was the limited offer junmai daiginjo).
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: ANA Diamond
If you guys actually want to buy Whisky, it would be worth it to go to Sapporo. The trip is 1.5 hours and 100 USD, well worth it if you're considering paying $500 USD+ in Tokyo for a single bottle of Nikka 21.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by invalyd

Are you in F or J? If the latter should be easy, just order and stash. In F they will probably bring you one per person if you say you want it as a souvenir but it will be difficult to push for more from my experience.
J, sadly (or, happily, in this case).
invalyd likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've been contributing to this thread for a few years, and wanted to share my observations from my recent 2-week trip. What I used to think of as eye-watering prices just a year ago now passes for the good deals of years past. I'd say I probably saw more "no Yamazaki" signs posted at store entrances than I saw actual bottles of stuff with age statements. The exception is Nikka 12, which is more widely available than it has been on prior trips, with prices in the mid-4000 to mid-6000 yen range. There's also a lot of 18+ year-old Kurayoshi, but IMO questionable value based on the bottle of Kurayoshi 18 I bought last year (under $100 then). In contrast to prior trips, I saw no Hibiki 17/Yamazaki 12/Hakushu 12 minis at the usual suspects (Loft, Bic Camera, etc). I still saw Hibiki 17 and Yamazaki 12 in a handful of hotel minibars, and at 1100 yen for 50ml, that's likely to be the best deal you see for that stuff.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
This thread continues to get more depressing! Last trip in January had no problem buying Hibiki 17 minis that I was happy to find. I looked up current prices of Karuizawas that I picked up over the years (4+ years ago). Those are eye-popping. Almost don't want to drink my bottles now, but they are open and whisky is for drinking...
Duke787 and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jpdx
I'd say I probably saw more "no Yamazaki" signs posted at store entrances than I saw actual bottles of stuff with age statements.
I had the opposite experience last month in that I saw more aged bottles than ever but with absolutely absurd prices.

Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:37 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Friends

May I know which hotel chain has high chance of getting minis bottles in their in room bar drawer pls?

I know Hankyu chain does.

thx
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by SQ50
Friends

May I know which hotel chain has high chance of getting minis bottles in their in room bar drawer pls?

I know Hankyu chain does.

thx
Park Hyatt Tokyo has Hibiki 17, Haksuhu 12 and Yamazaki 12. They're about ¥2400 each.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:59 pm

@invalyd : Well of course, That's Liquor Express! Ginza Store I'm guessing? They're overpriced on anything hard to find. It's a huge tourist trap, for the big spending Chinese.
invalyd likes this.

Last edited by Jigen666; Jul 28, 2018 at 9:00 pm Reason: Grammar fix
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:41 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Happy to report they do indeed serve Hibiki 17 minis in ANA J. When I was excited about this, the chief purser was very pleased and they made me a 'doggie bag' with some Hibiki to go. So sweet!

Also still stocked in rooms at the Park Hyatt Tokyo.
Duke787 and invalyd like this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
Happy to report they do indeed serve Hibiki 17 minis in ANA J. When I was excited about this, the chief purser was very pleased and they made me a 'doggie bag' with some Hibiki to go. So sweet!

Also still stocked in rooms at the Park Hyatt Tokyo.
Awesome, how many were you able to snag?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 6:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

An entirely adequate amount

Old Aug 9, 2018, 8:44 am

Hoping both ANA F from ORD and the Park Hyatt have some left in November! This thread has been incredibly helpful, so thanks to everyone. Some of the prices you've been posting have just been absurd. I don't know about everyone else, but here in Boston they sell Hibiki 21, Suntory Toki, Hibiki Harmony, several Nikka's, and one or two Yamazki's at the local Wegmens. The prices are not outrageous.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What's the price on the Hibiki 21 at the Wegmens? I found no good deal on any age statement whiskeys in stores in Tokyo. Extortionate, even.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
What's the price on the Hibiki 21 at the Wegmens? I found no good deal on any age statement whiskeys in stores in Tokyo. Extortionate, even.
There are still reasonable prices to be had in Japan, but you will surely need to leave the Tokyo metro area to find them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.