FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)
Old Jul 21, 2018, 9:08 pm
jpdx
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I've been contributing to this thread for a few years, and wanted to share my observations from my recent 2-week trip. What I used to think of as eye-watering prices just a year ago now passes for the good deals of years past. I'd say I probably saw more "no Yamazaki" signs posted at store entrances than I saw actual bottles of stuff with age statements. The exception is Nikka 12, which is more widely available than it has been on prior trips, with prices in the mid-4000 to mid-6000 yen range. There's also a lot of 18+ year-old Kurayoshi, but IMO questionable value based on the bottle of Kurayoshi 18 I bought last year (under $100 then). In contrast to prior trips, I saw no Hibiki 17/Yamazaki 12/Hakushu 12 minis at the usual suspects (Loft, Bic Camera, etc). I still saw Hibiki 17 and Yamazaki 12 in a handful of hotel minibars, and at 1100 yen for 50ml, that's likely to be the best deal you see for that stuff.