Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by 764toHI
Is the Hakushu distillery worth a visit? Alternatively, do tours of the Yamazaki distillery open up (I'm looking at mid-November which appears to be fully booked...)?
Yes, these fill up very quickly. I reserved a mid-November slot at the Yamazaki site, but did so on the day they opened (September 1st); I looked again the next day, and the month was almost completely full.

As of now, the only day open is November 5th at 14:50 (3 slots).
ryandc99 likes this.

Last edited by JHunter; Sep 14, 2018 at 2:35 pm Reason: Clarify that I'm talking about Yamazaki
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
I don't know if this is OT, but any advice on finding/buying some high-end Shochu while in Japan? Is finding a Murao or Mori Izo like trying to find Hibiki 21?
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by JHunter
I don't know if this is OT, but any advice on finding/buying some high-end Shochu while in Japan? Is finding a Murao or Mori Izo like trying to find Hibiki 21?
Available on Rakuten japan, so I imagine a bit of hunting around Sake no Sokuhai or Liquor Mountain, or Shinjuku Isetan will fill your order at much better prices than Japanese Whisky. On the Whisky subject, stocks are a little higher than a few months ago, with Hibiki NAS hitting a few shelves around town, and stocks of NAS Yoichi being replenished. Of course the age statements ones will be a different market altogether until the new production hits the shelves in many years to come.

Last edited by daizawaguy; Sep 16, 2018 at 6:27 am
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:40 pm

Just passed Hasegawa (two shops below Tokyo Station) yesterday - the original shop offers whisky tasting - 10ml for a few hundred Yen depending on bottle (no aged statements in Japanese whisky though). Tasted a Kavalan Solist for Yen 250. Some stock of NAS Yamazaki returning, 12 years was Y28K if I recall, two bottles of Karuizawa for Y598K. Hibiki under Y10k, but as I mentioned you can get this for Y5K in Kakuyasu.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by daizawaguy
Just passed Hasegawa (two shops below Tokyo Station) yesterday - the original shop offers whisky tasting - 10ml for a few hundred Yen depending on bottle (no aged statements in Japanese whisky though). Tasted a Kavalan Solist for Yen 250. Some stock of NAS Yamazaki returning, 12 years was Y28K if I recall, two bottles of Karuizawa for Y598K. Hibiki under Y10k, but as I mentioned you can get this for Y5K in Kakuyasu.
Which Kavalan Solist did you try? I love them all and every time I travel to Taiwan I end up buying few bottles!! Very good whiskies!!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by james21_h
Which Kavalan Solist did you try? I love them all and every time I travel to Taiwan I end up buying few bottles!! Very good whiskies!!
Slightly off topic, but whats the best place to pick up Kavalan bottles in Taipei? Duty free or at the distillery? Headed there in Oct and hoping to pick up a few!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by invalyd
Slightly off topic, but whats the best place to pick up Kavalan bottles in Taipei? Duty free or at the distillery? Headed there in Oct and hoping to pick up a few!
It depends on what you want.

Duty Free will be the cheapest, but the selection at the airport will be limited. This is Ever Rich's site showing the Kavalan selections they always carry.

https://www.everrich.com/tw/185-%E5%...anufacturer=87

They also carry some of the higher priced ones like Sherry Fino, but it's variable. Sometimes the shops have the Port Cask, the PX or the Manzanilla.

If you want the current *hot* bottle of Vinho Barrique or a specific Solist bottle, you'd need to head to the distillery to be certain.

If you're fluent in Mandarin, you can probably call up some of the liquor shops in the city to ask. But even there, you'll find inventory to be more limited.

FWIW - I think the Podium is actually very good value for the money. I like the Solist Sherry and the Sherry Fino, but the Podium is what I'd pour for friends who aren't that into whisky.
invalyd likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:29 pm

I'll be in Tokyo/Osaka for about 2 weeks and planning on picking up a bottle or two of Whisky to enjoy back in the US. I've been out of the Whisky game for so long and I want to get back into it since I'll be in Japan.

What should I pick up while I'm in Japan for under $200 USD?

I would love to be able to pick up a bottle of H12, H18, Y12, and Y18 but judging from what I've been reading, that's highly unlikely.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by NeTWorKz
I'll be in Tokyo/Osaka for about 2 weeks and planning on picking up a bottle or two of Whisky to enjoy back in the US. I've been out of the Whisky game for so long and I want to get back into it since I'll be in Japan.

What should I pick up while I'm in Japan for under $200 USD?

I would love to be able to pick up a bottle of H12, H18, Y12, and Y18 but judging from what I've been reading, that's highly unlikely.
The only one of those bottles you'll find for $200 is Yamazaki 12 but you can get it for half the cost in the US.
I would say for your budget the best option is a Hibiki Master's Select from duty free which runs ¥10,000 and is usually in stock.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
If you just want the Sherry, Bourbon, Port Cask Solist I would suggest to pick them up at airport. But if you want the Peated, Rum, Viho, pick them up at their store branches. Viho would be harder to get. Last time I called and got their last bottle at one of store branches and the staff told me it would be 6 month waiting time on the next batch. I considered myself lucked out!
EVA air offers 20% off if you order 3+ item. If you fly with them, def take advantage of that deal!! That's how I got most of my Solist!!
invalyd likes this.

Last edited by james21_h; Sep 19, 2018 at 3:02 pm
Old Sep 19, 2018, 3:07 pm

Wow, seems a great deal on Kavalan! With the scarcity of Japanese age statement whisky, how about changing the name of the thread once again to "Where to buy Kavalan Soloist"!!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:36 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Folks, let’s try to stay on topic and take discussion of Taiwanese whiskies elsewhere.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Will be in Ginza for a night next week -- worth going anywhere? Seems like there's no chance I'll find H17 (thanks to this thread though I'm still in decent shape from my December visit) but would like to pick up a couple of things.

Haven't had either of the Nikka NAS and just killed my Nikka12yo so could give those a shot just not sure where to to go searching near Ginza (CY Ginza specifically)
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Will be in Ginza for a night next week -- worth going anywhere? Seems like there's no chance I'll find H17 (thanks to this thread though I'm still in decent shape from my December visit) but would like to pick up a couple of things.

Haven't had either of the Nikka NAS and just killed my Nikka12yo so could give those a shot just not sure where to to go searching near Ginza (CY Ginza specifically)
Sake no Sokuhai (2 shops in Ginza) and Liquor Mountain are the places to visit. H17 will be available, and is at Don Quixote certainly if not at the previous two, for Yen 35,000-45,000.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:02 am

Oh, and Nikka NAS Yen 4,500 or so at discount, with Nikka12 @ Yen 5,500 or so - all these pretty good supply. Bic Camera a backstop too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.