Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by runningonfumes
Yes, that is remarkable that you could buy Yamazaki 12 at systembolaget of all places for less. it is rather astonishing really.
Even with Sweden's exorbitant alcohol taxes a bottle of Y 12 is nearly half the price compared to what you'll find in Tokyo. Bizarre! Systembolaget has tremendous buying and negotiation power though.

Originally Posted by ralphs
It reminds me of my sister in law asking us to pick up a stroller off of Amazon.com (USA) to ship back to Hong Kong. The stroller was made in China, but apparently still hundreds of dollars more expensive to purchase in Hong Kong than the USA.
Most products here - including those made across the border in Shenzhen - seem to be destined for EU/US markets and then get imported back to Hong Kong. I tend to buy most things online from Europe or the US these days. Particularly since e-commerce is all but non-existent in backwards HK...
Old Apr 18, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Friend got lucky and bought a bottle of Yamazaki 18 for 27,000 yen from Matsuya Ginza department store yesterday. They said they get about one case (6 bottles) every month or two, but don't when and don't hold for customers. They sold all six bottles in less than an hour... better to be lucky than good!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:36 am
Suspended

Programs: dont care anymore
Originally Posted by groovbusta
Friend got lucky and bought a bottle of Yamazaki 18 for 27,000 yen from Matsuya Ginza department store yesterday. They said they get about one case (6 bottles) every month or two, but don't when and don't hold for customers. They sold all six bottles in less than an hour... better to be lucky than good!
pics or it did not happen. ;-)
kaka and groovbusta like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
So if the current consensus is don't buy bottles of Japanese Whiskey in Japan, are there top Japanese whiskey bars to recommend? Seems like at the very least a trip to Japan should include some Japanese whiskey even if it is just a drink at a bar.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AC
I was planning to go to Tokyo Whisky Library but didn't get a chance. Nikka has a bar in the basement of their building that has a pretty extensive Nikka collection (naturally). I also found Hibiki 17 and 21 at a really reasonable price at the Ryokan I stayed at in Hakone and took the chance to have my first glass of Hibiki 21, which was absolutely amazing.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Makers Mark bourbon - Japan edition?

I'm currently in Japan and wanting to bring back a Japanese version of Makers Mark. Does the Makers Mark available at Haneda have Japanese writing on the back? If not I’ll purchase a bottle here and put in checked luggage.

I’d really like to find a bottle with a black label that they sold for a limited time. Anyone know where to find in Kyoto or Tokyo?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm back from my trip and ended up finding one bottle of Yamakazi 12 at Liquor Mountain (none at BIC or Don Quijote) for Y14,400 before the tax-back - much improved over the small store in Shibuya that wanted Y19,500 and didn't do tax-back! I also bought a non-vintage Nikka Miyagikyo for Y3,800.

At the airport, like others are reporting, everything with an age was sold out. I wonder how many times a day shoppers try to buy the Yamakazi 18 in the display case (which might not even be real)!
Old May 2, 2018, 7:53 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtm1631
So if the current consensus is don't buy bottles of Japanese Whiskey in Japan, are there top Japanese whiskey bars to recommend? Seems like at the very least a trip to Japan should include some Japanese whiskey even if it is just a drink at a bar.
I'm partial to Shot Bar Zoetrope in Shinjuku. Every time I walk down to the wine cellar at home, I see a few photos I took of rounds of whisky I had at Zoetrope, and long to go back.
Old May 8, 2018, 2:43 pm

Of all places I have looked in Japan, I finally scored on my favorite Japanese whisky, the Yamazaki 18, in the US this weekend for $249 a bottle! Which is actually cheaper than in Japan if you find it! Got two bottles. Supper happy!! Japan is really not a place to hunt for those highly sought after (i.e. Yamazaki 12,/18, Hakushu 12/18) bottles anymore... Hibiki 17/21 might be the only ones worth hunting if you can get it close to MSRP.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by james21_h
Of all places I have looked in Japan, I finally scored on my favorite Japanese whisky, the Yamazaki 18, in the US this weekend for $249 a bottle! Which is actually cheaper than in Japan if you find it! Got two bottles. Supper happy!! Japan is really not a place to hunt for those highly sought after (i.e. Yamazaki 12,/18, Hakushu 12/18) bottles anymore... Hibiki 17/21 might be the only ones worth hunting if you can get it close to MSRP.
Would you share where you found them? I had no luck in the last 3 visit for any aged whisky
Old May 9, 2018, 2:53 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Please keep this thread on topic — that is, where to find Japanese whiskey in Japan.

Regards,
armagebedar
Japan forum moderator
Old May 14, 2018, 12:20 am

Haneda duty free from two trips in past two months

On my first trip, I watched them stock 5 Taketsuru 25 year priced at 69,700 (I didn't buy it but understand this bottle can be very hard to find). I found it funny because the guys stocking the shelf thought the price was wrong since it was so expensive...they went and checked with some one else to confirm the price. Also found one Hibiki 21 for 50000 which I bought (I know it's a rip-off but haven't been able to find the 21....)

At Precce market in midtown Tokyo, they had NAS Miyagikyo and Yoichi for 3980 which is much cheaper than anywhere I see in the states
Old May 14, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Sad news today as Suntory officially announces they will discontinue Hibiki 17 as of September. Better stock up soon.
Last trip in December I had the choice between a 21 and 17, opted for the 21, wish I picked them both up now...
Old May 14, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
What was the going rate in Japan for the H17 prior to this announcement?
Old May 14, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
What was the going rate in Japan for the H17 prior to this announcement?
15k + depending on where you found it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.