Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Mizunara
Could have sworn there was a lottery for them. Guess not. If the dates work out next year, I'll probably end up going.
Lottery is for the bottles rather than the tickets.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: JAL JGC Premier, UA Gold
Hey, just saw this for some reason. yes I was there and no, didn't win anything unfortunately. Had an amazing kappo/kaiseki style lunch at Ginza Uchiyama afterwards though. There's got to be a better way to buy this stuff retail.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:14 pm

Haneda airport

Hi all, wondering haneda airport departure duty free sell hibiki blender's choice , nikka samurai? & what's the selling price? Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kelvin13
Hi all, wondering haneda airport departure duty free sell hibiki blender's choice , nikka samurai? & what's the selling price? Thanks
10k and 5k respectively

Would be better to grab BC in the city as it's widely available now, I doubt it will be available at the airport
Kelvin13 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: JAL JGC Premier, UA Gold
I thought the Samurai was duty free only and no, haven't seen it at Haneda. Easy to get at Narita now and the one per customer rule seems to be either ignored or non existent as of a few weeks ago. I've been stocking up on those all year for Christmas gifts. My friends love that metal samurai helmet..
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:35 am

The Yamazaki Distillery

I popped into the Yamazaki distillery this morning at 10 a.m. and all they had in the gift shop was NAS Chita and Ao along with the small gift shop exclusive bottles.The tasting bar was stocked with all the great usuals but in addition they were in fact offering the new Essence of Suntory NAS releases (some people were asking about in posts above) which of course I had to try. Will post menu photos when I have the ability.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
I popped into the Yamazaki distillery this morning at 10 a.m. and all they had in the gift shop was NAS Chita and Ao along with the small gift shop exclusive bottles.The tasting bar was stocked with all the great usuals but in addition they were in fact offering the new Essence of Suntory NAS releases (some people were asking about in posts above) which of course I had to try. Will post menu photos when I have the ability.
How did the new Essence series taste? I picked up a set, not sure if I'll open it or not..
Old Nov 12, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
How did the new Essence series taste? I picked up a set, not sure if I'll open it or not..
Lucky you! I was only able to try the “Rich Type” but I thoroughly enjoyed it! In fact, I’d be pretty damn tempted to open it up tonight!

Haven’t seen it for sale but from what I see online, I guess I’d hold on to it for a bit.

These tasting notes were just about spot on:

Nose
: Heavy, dense. Faint yet enticing cedar aromas.
Palate
: Smooth and sweet. Lingering cedar notes. Well-ripened fruit.
Finish
: Sweet and sour interlaced with refreshing cedar notes.

(I personally didn’t pick up on the sour notes much though)
invalyd likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by AndyYamazaki
Lucky you! I was only able to try the “Rich Type” but I thoroughly enjoyed it! In fact, I’d be pretty damn tempted to open it up tonight!

Haven’t seen it for sale but from what I see online, I guess I’d hold on to it for a bit.

These tasting notes were just about spot on:

Nose
: Heavy, dense. Faint yet enticing cedar aromas.
Palate
: Smooth and sweet. Lingering cedar notes. Well-ripened fruit.
Finish
: Sweet and sour interlaced with refreshing cedar notes.

(I personally didn’t pick up on the sour notes much though)
Great info here! I also picked up a set and planning on opening it up! Maybe I will wait after I visit the Hakushu Distillery and try them there at first!!
invalyd likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by james21_h
Great info here! I also picked up a set and planning on opening it up! Maybe I will wait after I visit the Hakushu Distillery and try them there at first!!

Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:31 pm

Just got back from japan.

Tried
yam 25
h30
hakashu 25
chichibu HBA mizunara
chichinu HBA sherry refill
ichiro malt and grain ritz Carlton
yamazaki owners cask ritz Carlton
blantons gold

Hauled back the below
Honestly, Amazon is the way to go. Hunting is a waste of time in larger cities like Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo unless you have a relationship with a store or are fluent in Japanese.
2x blantons SFTB (Amazon)
yamazaki watami founders choice (Amazon)
ichiros malt grain world blended limited edition (Amazon)
hibiki 21 (narita, imho 50000Y is the new retail for h21 and yam18 unless you really do some serious hunting or get lucky stateside)

Wanted but did not find/care enough
h30 at narita but no luck
blantons black, would rather use luggage space for STFB
blantons red, see above

Scoped the below (didn’t have time to really hunt)
LH has H30, tons of yam 18, just got ichiros double distillery, blenders choice, Hakushu 18
yamazaki has nothing, but went late in the day
Biccamera Kyoto nothing
isetan Kyoto Station nothing
random grocery stores in Roppongi with nothing

i keep editing as I recount the trip through the jet lag.

Last edited by 4g63e9; Nov 13, 2019 at 9:34 pm
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by 4g63e9

LH has H30, tons of yam 18, just got ichiros double distillery, blenders choice, Hakushu 18
Except you'd have to be a total sucker to pay their asking prices (excluding the BC).
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:46 pm

Except you'd have to be a total sucker to pay their asking prices (excluding the BC).
yup. It’s unfortunate. I bought a h17 and h 21 from them 2.5 years ago for ~$450 usd. Now the prices suck.
invalyd and Mitchydean0103 like this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:29 pm

Or loaded enough to not care.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 1:42 am

Duty frees shops

Hi

May I know how many duty free shop are selling liquors at haneda airport(departure)? Tiat? Fasola? Jal?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.