Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Old Sep 9, 19, 6:40 pm
  #1621  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 967
Originally Posted by jashsu View Post
It was 70 people for me. Funny story about it actually. I entered the queue but when they came to check my passport and outbound flight they said I was disqualified due to my flight being at 5pm that day, and the validity period began from 7pm of that day through end of September. Off by two hours! Luckily while I was sulking off I remembered I have another booked flight this month so they let me back in the line And yeah I kinda was after the 250k bottles...

No they provided minis. I was inspired by a post earlier in this thread where the poster got a "doggy bag" of H17 minis to go. Would have gotten a couple but the CA said it was the last one. I asked near the end of the flight out of consideration for the other pax. TBH now i'm wondering if they even have H17 in a full size bottle anymore. Last time I was served H17 on a F flight they just brought the drink out, no bottle.
Sounds like they've tightened up on the lottery a bit. They only checked passports when I was there, my Japanese friend brought has brought his and his number was called, so he handed me his ticket and I checked out with my flight details.

I am sure they had more minis, same happened to me, but it is understandable they need to save them for future passengers since they probably can't get more.
I'm lucky I still have a full case which I've been saving at home.

Sounds like you had a great trip and thanks for sharing!
jashsu likes this.
invalyd is online now  
Old Sep 9, 19, 8:43 pm
  #1622  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: EUG/PDX
Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Posts: 4,097
Originally Posted by spc354 View Post
The other option I did not know about then is that you can order liquor on Amazon Japan. If you have confirmed your hotel, then you can order with an appropriate lead time and have the hotel hold shipment for you. This is what I am going to try on my next visit!
Cheers.
If you sign up for Amazon JP Prime (free trial when I did it), you can schedule delivery at no charge as well, depending on the seller. I did this so the package was there the day before I checked in.
rustykettel is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 7:46 am
  #1623  
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JGC Sapphire
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
Yes, have been to the shop and tasting many times without doing a tour.
Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
Same here, no reservation required for the tasting room.
I stand corrected then, thanks. Something for me to look forward to whenever I next have business in Kansai.
Mizunara is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 8:09 am
  #1624  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Price for Japanese stuff in Germany seem to drop at the moment, at least for some not too old ones.
e.g. Yamazaki 12 is available for ~ 99, scored Hakushu 12 for the same price.

Grabbed three bottles Hibiki Master Select for 60 at Lisboa airport... nice price
invalyd likes this.
olivere is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 1:00 pm
  #1625  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arcadia, CA
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 794
How often and at what time do they hold the lottery at Ginza Mitsukoshi? Might be debating between that and trying my luck at duty free as well
chongl is offline  
Old Sep 10, 19, 5:45 pm
  #1626  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 967
Originally Posted by chongl View Post
How often and at what time do they hold the lottery at Ginza Mitsukoshi? Might be debating between that and trying my luck at duty free as well
About once a month. I would expect the one one to be around early October. Check their website for details

https://japandutyfree-ginza.jp/event/index.html
invalyd is online now  
Old Sep 11, 19, 8:26 am
  #1627  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1
Hello all, I am currently in Hakata, Fukuoka this week and I am hunting for Yamazaki 18 years over here, any chance would you guys have any recommendation as to where I can purchase it from? I tried searching a few liquor store today but has not luck.
Vincent Lee is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:01 am
  #1628  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 967
Originally Posted by Vincent Lee View Post
Hello all, I am currently in Hakata, Fukuoka this week and I am hunting for Yamazaki 18 years over here, any chance would you guys have any recommendation as to where I can purchase it from? I tried searching a few liquor store today but has not luck.
Good luck.
invalyd is online now  
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:44 am
  #1629  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arcadia, CA
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 794
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
About once a month. I would expect the one one to be around early October. Check their website for details

https://japandutyfree-ginza.jp/event/index.html
Thanks...when I went last year, all my trusty spots had nothing left. I'm setting my expectations low and just hoping to grab some Blender's Choice, and maybe luck into some bottles at duty free.

BTW, since I frequently re-read this thread, please tell me you grabbed a few bottles at the store you found H21, H30, Y18, and Y25 at MSRP earlier this year!
chongl is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 9:56 am
  #1630  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 967
Originally Posted by chongl View Post
Thanks...when I went last year, all my trusty spots had nothing left. I'm setting my expectations low and just hoping to grab some Blender's Choice, and maybe luck into some bottles at duty free.

BTW, since I frequently re-read this thread, please tell me you grabbed a few bottles at the store you found H21, H30, Y18, and Y25 at MSRP earlier this year!
You will find Blender's no problem. Head over to BiG Ginza, they've usually got plenty of stock for 9k.

I did indeed pick them up. I've been collecting for quite a few years now so I've managed to collect pretty much a few of every Suntory bottle including H30 and Y25

Unfortunately the issue with collecting is the more rare bottles you get, the more expensive the next one becomes...Hibiki 35, Yamazaki 35 etc are way out of my price range
invalyd is online now  
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:45 am
  #1631  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Arcadia, CA
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 794
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
You will find Blender's no problem. Head over to BiG Ginza, they've usually got plenty of stock for 9k.

I did indeed pick them up. I've been collecting for quite a few years now so I've managed to collect pretty much a few of every Suntory bottle including H30 and Y25

Unfortunately the issue with collecting is the more rare bottles you get, the more expensive the next one becomes...Hibiki 35, Yamazaki 35 etc are way out of my price range
BiG was where I got my H21 2 years ago...last year all they had was Harmony. Being that I'll be in Tokyo and not venturing very far, any tips other than ducking into the smaller liquor stores that aren't in tourist frequented areas? I've already got H12,H17, H21,and Y12, so main target is Y18 at this point unless H30 or Y25 is spotted at a price I can't refuse.
antebellum likes this.
chongl is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 11:52 am
  #1632  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75k, Marriott Plat
Posts: 967
Originally Posted by chongl View Post
BiG was where I got my H21 2 years ago...last year all they had was Harmony. Being that I'll be in Tokyo and not venturing very far, any tips other than ducking into the smaller liquor stores that aren't in tourist frequented areas? I've already got H12,H17, H21,and Y12, so main target is Y18 at this point unless H30 or Y25 is spotted at a price I can't refuse.
As I see you are based in California, I think you will have much better luck there than in Tokyo for Y18. The US stores get a much bigger allotment, whereas most bottles go to restaurants and bars in Japan.
I've scored many bottles of Y18 at retail price here in SF since this year's shipment came in.

My tip would be to enjoy your trip and not waste your time just to save a few hundred bucks. There are so many incredible whisky bars in Tokyo where you can sample bottles that now sell for ridiculous prices. Personally, I'd rather spend my time and money sampling some rare drams that I cannot otherwise access.
invalyd is online now  
Old Sep 11, 19, 1:27 pm
  #1633  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
About once a month. I would expect the one one to be around early October. Check their website for details

https://japandutyfree-ginza.jp/event/index.html
Also, the duty free floor at Takashimaya in Shinjuku has a similar lottery event.

https://www.takashimaya-dfs.com/en/e...ys-information
fmark and jashsu like this.
gobi is offline  
Old Sep 11, 19, 3:39 pm
  #1634  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by invalyd View Post
As I see you are based in California, I think you will have much better luck there than in Tokyo for Y18. The US stores get a much bigger allotment, whereas most bottles go to restaurants and bars in Japan.
I've scored many bottles of Y18 at retail price here in SF since this year's shipment came in.
Ironically in the past year i've spent more time in Tokyo than in SF. I live on the peninsula.

My tip would be to enjoy your trip and not waste your time just to save a few hundred bucks. There are so many incredible whisky bars in Tokyo where you can sample bottles that now sell for ridiculous prices. Personally, I'd rather spend my time and money sampling some rare drams that I cannot otherwise access.
The hunt can be enjoyable too, but I agree at this point time is more well spent on bar experiences than bottles.
invalyd likes this.
jashsu is offline  
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:16 pm
  #1635  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 449
Originally Posted by Vincent Lee View Post
Hello all, I am currently in Hakata, Fukuoka this week and I am hunting for Yamazaki 18 years over here, any chance would you guys have any recommendation as to where I can purchase it from? I tried searching a few liquor store today but has not luck.
Liquor Express (Soku Hi) and Don Quixote, in Nakasu, may have it, but only if you want to spend more than 60,000 Yen for it. You won't find it anywhere else in Fukuoka because no one has it.

Or save time walking around Fukuoka, and do yourself a favor and just enjoy what Japanese whisky you can drink at Bar Kitchen, Bar Leichardt, or Bar Higuchi.
Jigen666 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread