Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:47 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
From some reports posted, it seems that if the connection meets MCT between the two airports, they expect you to make the connection.
Thank you. So this wouldn't count as an involuntary change, which would open the window to free dates changes ?
Old Nov 27, 2019, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by jacquesrules
Thank you. So this wouldn't count as an involuntary change, which would open the window to free dates changes ?
I am merely repeating what other people have reported so far. There has been no official statement from JAL about what they will and won't allow in terms rebooking.
jacquesrules likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC
Do non-JMB oneworld sapphires get benefits on the KE codeshares from Seoul to Tokyo? I found this: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/board.../jgc_list.html but it only talks about JMB members, and I have my status through BA.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by psychopompos
Do non-JMB oneworld sapphires get benefits on the KE codeshares from Seoul to Tokyo? I found this: https://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/board.../jgc_list.html but it only talks about JMB members, and I have my status through BA.
JL coded on KE flights, I would expect so, but honestly I don't know for sure. JAL is generally quite good at extending benefits to OW status members.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:03 pm

So just a few weeks ago, JAL award availability 330-331 days out was certainly not plentiful, but consistently available enough that I was sure I could find a seat with some flexibility. For the past 2 weeks or so, it F and J to/from TYO and JFK/ORD/DFW has basically been non-existent for all of october. Qantas shows availability staring in Nov, but those who have to book 331 days out have no chance as there is basically nothing in October.

Anyone know what is going on? Does this have something to do with the schedule changes recently announced?

Or it this some sort of new normal for JAL award availability? I began confident I would find a seat, now I wonder if I need to make alternate arrangements.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Morkai
So just a few weeks ago, JAL award availability 330-331 days out was certainly not plentiful, but consistently available enough that I was sure I could find a seat with some flexibility. For the past 2 weeks or so, it F and J to/from TYO and JFK/ORD/DFW has basically been non-existent for all of october. Qantas shows availability staring in Nov, but those who have to book 331 days out have no chance as there is basically nothing in October.

Anyone know what is going on? Does this have something to do with the schedule changes recently announced?

Or it this some sort of new normal for JAL award availability? I began confident I would find a seat, now I wonder if I need to make alternate arrangements.
JMB members can book 360 days out. So if you are booking via a program that has 330 days, JMB members have a head start, and you have to hope for last minute releases. If you are booking with JMB, you need to look further in to the future.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:02 pm

JMB members can book 360 days out. So if you are booking via a program that has 330 days, JMB members have a head start, and you have to hope for last minute releases. If you are booking with JMB, you need to look further in to the future.
I understand, but what I don't get is that there would always be some trickling down to those programs that can book 331 days out. Around when the JAL changes were announced (NRT ->HND), there's been almost nothing. Wondering if it's possibly related.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Morkai
I understand, but what I don't get is that there would always be some trickling down to those programs that can book 331 days out. Around when the JAL changes were announced (NRT ->HND), there's been almost nothing. Wondering if it's possibly related.
The schedule changes are in March, I doubt that affects availability in October timing.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by psychopompos
Yes. JL coded flights give you the OWS benefits.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
The upgrades are flat rate. I don't really know what happens if you are in Class J. Is the Class J fee refunded or lost.

I can't see why it should matter whether you are on a domestic only or an international connection itinerary. Though the AVIOS tickets are (were?) considered the same way as international connection tickets by the system. At least they were pre Amadeus for domestic, not sure if that is still the case.
I had to use the international check-in section on the website for online check-in if that helps!

Originally Posted by JALPak
-1000JPY or refund then charge the full amount

international connection within 24 hours = no consumption tax for the upgrade
I was charged 1,000 JPY only but said no to the connection although I arrived <24 hours via NRT on UA.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ALGU
I had to use the international check-in section on the website for online check-in if that helps!

I was charged 1,000 JPY only but said no to the connection although I arrived <24 hours via NRT on UA.
What's online check-in? ;-)

I never do online check-in, it is a waste of my time since I anyway have to go to a counter to hand over my bags. And usually the priority check in has less of a wait than the bag drop....
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:42 am

Programs: OWE, *Gold, STE+, Globalist, Titanium, Spire, Diamond
What's online check-in? ;-)

I never do online check-in, it is a waste of my time since I anyway have to go to a counter to hand over my bags. And usually the priority check in has less of a wait than the bag drop....
I agree! I’ve never had this issue with JL or any airline with dedicated OWE lines.

However, I’ve had a few times outside of JL (AV in LIM, S7 in KIX, LH in RAK) where the priority line wasn’t adequately staffed and the those staffing the non-priority queues wouldn’t service those in the priority line until things got really bad. So I decided just to do online check in for all my flights and having the option to switch lines if I have another situation like the above example.

Last edited by ALGU; Dec 1, 2019 at 4:58 am Reason: Typos
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ALGU
I agree! I’ve never had this issue with JL or anyone airline with dedicated OWE lines.

However, I’ve had a few times outside of JL (AV in LIM, S7 in KIX, LH in RAK) where the priority line wasn’t adequately staffed and the those staffing the non-priority queues wouldn’t service those in the priority line until things got really bad. So I decided just to do online check in for all my flights and having the option to switch lines if I have another situation like the above example.
I did it have issues with LH at RAK priority was quick and efficient. Would have needed to line up there anyway for the bag drop.

I am partially joking and partially being serious.of course. But it is far from a priority for me.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Salaryman One World Sapphire
Decided not to pursue either JGC Premier nor Diamond for this year. Decide to spare the $ for next year qualification run instead.

Got my JGC Luggage tag finally after two month wait, too bad i missed out the older days where 2 luggage tag and passport cover were given.

- Mine came via registered post via HKG (while card from Tokyo) Not sure if it is normal?
>Took like 5 days to come here, so I supposed remaining 55 days were wait for engraving part to be done?
> Wonder where do they do it. Manual labor somewhere in Japan?
> My naming arrangement were (Initial).(Surname in full). I think its Japanese it will be (Family Name Initial).(FIrst name full)?
>Substantially thicker and heavier but smaller foot print than regular silver logo Jal luggage tag that can be bought.

- The gold JGC (likewise regular jal tag) wording seems like it can be rubbed off if was rubbed in abrasive surface. How you guys take care of that?
- Mine enrolled in Oct, but am I suppose to receive diary or calendar around this time like some member here or have to wait next year?
-Do you guys use it on your hand carry or you keep it in safe

First Flight Bonus
JGC members will receive 3,000 bonus miles for the first eligible flight taken every year
-This is referring to normal miles and not FOP right? I am not Jalcard member btw.

Last edited by minizian; Dec 3, 2019 at 11:07 am
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club, ANA Super Flyers
Originally Posted by minizian
> My naming arrangement were (Initial).(Surname in full). I think its Japanese it will be (Family Name Initial).(FIrst name full)?
It might be the same for all members, regardless of region. I'm a Japan-based JGC member, and my tag is Surname full, First name initial. My coworkers' is also the same.

- Mine enrolled in Oct, but am I suppose to receive diary or calendar around this time like some member here or have to wait next year?
You'll receive 800 miles instead since the registration ended August 31st for this year.

-Do you guys use it on your hand carry or you keep it in safe

Hand carry! Even though it'll be subject to a bit of wear and tear, I think it's meant to be used. The nicks and scrapes give it character. On the other hand, I have seen a couple of guys have it on their checked luggage though, and I don't think I'd want to subject the tag to that.

-This is referring to normal miles and not FOP right? I am not Jalcard member btw.
Just regular normal miles (unfortunately). I made JGC in August this year, and got those credited after my following JAL flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.