Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by Khaleesi
Question for those who know more about JAL's domestic flights: Is there a reason that the ITM-NRT route is impossible to book (with money, anyway) many months in advance? (June 22, 2020 to be specific.) Are they cancelling this route in 2020 or something? Or do they just not make domestic tickets available for purchase that far in advance?
From September 10th 2019, you can book ALL flights 330 days out. New rules (and new challenges for us frequent flyers), but you should be able to book summer 2020 flights from next week.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Do the normal domestic fare class buckets have any influence on availability in G for JEP? If I am planning on flying domestic some time in March next year, should I consider booking before Sept. 10th?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by lokisnake
Do the normal domestic fare class buckets have any influence on availability in G for JEP? If I am planning on flying domestic some time in March next year, should I consider booking before Sept. 10th?
Nobody knows for sure, since this is all new for JAL, but IMHO, book whatever you are comfortable with right now *dates/price etc.
March is high season (sakura/school spring holidays etc.), so availability will dry up the closer you get to the month!
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Tried ANA for the first and last time. Don’t make the same mistake I did. Stick with JAL.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Not quite a newbie, but this seems like a decent place to ask: does online check in have any influence over the possibility of Class J airport upgrade? Sakitoku fares if it makes any difference. [And I realise I don't need to OLCI - but I like my collection of mobile BPs!]

Flying next month during the World Cup, so I suspect availability is going to be very tight but might as well ask - the extra BA TPs would be very useful!
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:34 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
Originally Posted by etiene
Not quite a newbie, but this seems like a decent place to ask: does online check in have any influence over the possibility of Class J airport upgrade? Sakitoku fares if it makes any difference. [And I realise I don't need to OLCI - but I like my collection of mobile BPs!]

Flying next month during the World Cup, so I suspect availability is going to be very tight but might as well ask - the extra BA TPs would be very useful!
It shouldn't, just ask at the airport.
etiene likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 9:12 am
mhy

Programs: JGC
I have a round trip from JFK to NRT in J booked at the end of the year on JL3 and JL4.

I had applied for a mileage upgrade to F on the return leg from Tokyo to New York, initially put on the waitlist. I saw when I logged back in yesterday that it had cleared!! Did I make the right decision to do this on NRT->JFK, rather than outbound JFK->NRT? I assume the JL F lounge at NRT beats the LH Senator lounge at JFK hands down, and also ex-Japan catering is better. Only reason I can think of to select JFK->NRT would have been to enjoy the ~1 hour longer flight in F

Last edited by mhy; Sep 9, 2019 at 9:53 am
Old Sep 11, 2019, 3:32 am

Red face how to upgrade to premium economy before the flight

Newbie Question:

I have a flight on Saturday from Tokyo to Chicago. I have economy seats and I would like to upgrade to premium economy. Ideally, I would like to do this today. Is there a way to do this before checking in at the airport?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by mhy

I have a round trip from JFK to NRT in J booked at the end of the year on JL3 and JL4.

I had applied for a mileage upgrade to F on the return leg from Tokyo to New York, initially put on the waitlist. I saw when I logged back in yesterday that it had cleared!! Did I make the right decision to do this on NRT->JFK, rather than outbound JFK->NRT? I assume the JL F lounge at NRT beats the LH Senator lounge at JFK hands down, and also ex-Japan catering is better. Only reason I can think of to select JFK->NRT would have been to enjoy the ~1 hour longer flight in F
Yes, great choice. Enjoy it. Length of flight (+1hr) on a 13 hour flight is negligible because you will either be stuffed/drunk/sleeping/watching a movie to pass time.
mhy likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by HemlockAirlines
Newbie Question:

I have a flight on Saturday from Tokyo to Chicago. I have economy seats and I would like to upgrade to premium economy. Ideally, I would like to do this today. Is there a way to do this before checking in at the airport?
Unless you use JMB miles., no other way.
Otherwise, only at the airport for these (link) cash rates.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/jgc/enroll_world.html

JAL Global Club question:

Membership Renewal Qualifications

Notice

Starting from the membership renewal period for the 2021 service year, there will be changes to the qualification criteria for automatic membership renewal.
Your membership will be automatically renewed for the 2021 service year if you earn at least 35,000 FLY ON Points or fly on at least 14 qualifying JAL international flights that are eligible for JMB mileage accrual during the calendar year from January through December 2020.

Does this mean you must fly for automatic renewal, and it's no longer just a point deduction? Or are they just upping the flying requirement to waive the point deduction?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by keitherson
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/jgc/enroll_world.html

JAL Global Club question:

Membership Renewal Qualifications

Notice

Starting from the membership renewal period for the 2021 service year, there will be changes to the qualification criteria for automatic membership renewal.
Your membership will be automatically renewed for the 2021 service year if you earn at least 35,000 FLY ON Points or fly on at least 14 qualifying JAL international flights that are eligible for JMB mileage accrual during the calendar year from January through December 2020.

Does this mean you must fly for automatic renewal, and it's no longer just a point deduction? Or are they just upping the flying requirement to waive the point deduction?
Upping the flying requirement only per the stand-alone thread a couple months ago^

Question about JGC Premier Renewal (new criteria?)

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Reading the Japanese text, I would say that the limit for renewal without mileage deduction is being increased from 25K to 35K or from 10 to 14 flights. The 5000 miles will remain as an option.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 9:31 am

Does JAL ever unblock seats 1A & 1K for non-elites? If so, when? And if not, is it only possible to get the assignment at the airport?
Old Sep 13, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by kpottermn
Does JAL ever unblock seats 1A & 1K for non-elites? If so, when? And if not, is it only possible to get the assignment at the airport?
I'm two for two, so hardly a statistically significant sample size.

1) First time - I know our corporate salesguy at JL. Made the request through him a few weeks out.
2) Second time - arrived HND on a red-eye from SIN, so was first person to enter F lounge once it opened. Made the request, flight was booked to 3 or 4, agent printed me a BP on the spot, so guessing this was about 4 hours prior to flight.

Good luck, personally 2A is a bit better as the only foot traffic is when the FA is coming to YOU. Downside to 1A is that every time 2A wants something, FA walks past you. Lots of foot traffic. I have the same issue on CX. That said, it's nice being in 1A on JL, as FAs realize you're somebody special. I've seen 1A go empty when flight booked to 7 (I didn't take it due was happy seating the entire family across row 2).

Jamie
Old Sep 14, 2019, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by kpottermn
Yes. 1A/K are reserved for OWE/Diamonds/VIPs, and is only released at the airport.
You might get lucky if your travel agents has good connection with JAL, and can put in a favor for you (as you are a "VIP") to get them prior to OLCI.
Main thing is, these are prestigious seats (for JAL clientele) and JAL doesn't want to "offend" its elites/VIPs by having the seat taken before the said elite/VIP does check in.
(A nascent form of DKNWIA).
Oh, and VIP dont generally bother with OLCI, so that's why they remain blocked until at the airport
(when the airline has a good idea of the profile of passengers on the flight and can decide to release the seats).

Best way is to go to the airport 2 or so hours before checkin, if you really want 1A/K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.