Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Question about JGC Premier Renewal (new criteria?)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I just saw a new notice about the changes in membership renewal on JGC website as below:

"Starting from the membership renewal period for the 2021 service year, there will be changes to the qualification criteria for automatic membership renewal.
Your membership will be automatically renewed for the 2021 service year if you earn at least 35,000 FLY ON Points or fly on at least 14 qualifying JAL international flights that are eligible for JMB mileage accrual during the calendar year from January through December 2020."

Honestly, this is a little confusing to me that, does this notice only mean that the criteria to renew JGC Premier without miles deduction has been changed from 25,000FOP/10 flights to 35,000FOP/14 flight but at the meantime, the 5,000 miles deduction policy will still exist as the other way to renew JGC Premier? Or it just simply means that the 5,000 miles deduction policy will be cancelled after next year and meeting the new criteria will be the only way to keep JGC Premier being renewed?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Reading the Japanese text, I would say that the limit for renewal without mileage deduction is being increased from 25K to 35K or from 10 to 14 flights. The 5000 miles will remain as an option.
stephenyz and Tokyoite like this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 2:25 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Reading the Japanese text, I would say that the limit for renewal without mileage deduction is being increased from 25K to 35K or from 10 to 14 flights. The 5000 miles will remain as an option.
he’s asking about JGCP
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:17 pm

Maybe they are finally eliminating the 5000 miles option. This is for JGC.
Premier should not have any change as it requires many more miles anyway.
stephenyz likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JALPak

he’s asking about JGCP
OP is asking about the criteria for JGC but calling it something else.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgchiker
Maybe they are finally eliminating the 5000 miles option. This is for JGC.
Premier should not have any change as it requires many more miles anyway.
When I first read that, I was a bit hopeful that they were eliminating the 5,000 miles option. There is currently no indication of that, but maybe that's the next step.
stephenyz likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JALPak

he’s asking about JGCP
Uh... Was trying to say JGC Sapphire didn't know why typed in Premier
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Thank you! That is helpful!^
Old Jul 5, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
This only applies to JMB members registered outside Japan.
https://www.jal.co.jp/en/jalmile/jgc/enroll_world.html

Membership Renewal Qualifications
Notice: Starting from the membership renewal period for the 2021 service year, there will be changes to the qualification criteria for automatic membership renewal.
Your membership will be automatically renewed for the 2021 service year if you earn at least 35,000 FLY ON Points or fly on at least 14 qualifying JAL international flights that are eligible for JMB mileage accrual during the calendar year from January through December 2020.

As a JGC member, you can renew your membership by paying the renewal fee of 5,000 miles*, which will be automatically deducted from your JMB account at the beginning of March. This renewal fee will be waived for JGC members who earn at least 25,000 FLY ON Points or fly on at least 10 qualifying JAL international flights that are eligible for JMB mileage accrual during the calendar year. (Current requirements, applicable up to the membership renewal period for the 2020 service year).

In Japanese, FYI.
2021年度の資格の更新より、自動更新の基準が変わります。
2020年1月~12月の12カ月間にFLY ON ポイントを35,000ポイント以上またはJAL国際線にJMBマイル積算対象運賃で14回以上ご搭乗いた だいた方は自動更新となります。

毎年1月〜12月の12カ月間にFLY ON ポイントを25,000ポイント以上またはJAL国際線にJMBマイル積算対象運賃で10回以上ご搭乗いた だいた方は自動更新となります。
資格更新時に上記基準を達成されていない場合には、3月初旬にJMB積算マイル口座から自動的に5,000 マイルお引き落とし*のうえ、資格更新とさせていただきます。
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond+ Lifetime, JL Diamond
I bet most of the 5000 mile renewal JGC freeloaders are inside Japan, not out.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:10 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sixpaq
There's no 5000 mile freeloaders in Japan as option is not available to Japan region members
lcpteck and Tokyoite like this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by sixpaq
lol!
those “freeloaders” pay 10,800 yen/year (100 USD/year) to keep the credit card and enjoy the JGC semi-permanently.
so, roughly 2CPM valuation for JAL miles!
Old Apr 24, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, JMB Sapphire
Apologies for reviving an old thread.

I qualified for JMB Sapphire in 2018 and joined JGC upon invitation at the end of 2018 / early 2019. I understand that the "initial term" for my JGC membership would have been until March 2020 (last month). I also understand that JAL automatically deducts 5,000 miles (in early March) to auto-renew my JGC membership. I am based in the US. I unfortunately did not accumulate any FLY ON points in 2019.

According to my recent transactions/activity, JAL has not yet deducted the 5,000 miles; nor do I see any indication on the JAL website that my membership has been renewed (though perhaps I am looking on the wrong page?). Is some action required to renew the JGC membership? I did some searching and could not find a way to request JGC membership renewal online.

Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Mirage07
Apologies for reviving an old thread.

I qualified for JMB Sapphire in 2018 and joined JGC upon invitation at the end of 2018 / early 2019. I understand that the "initial term" for my JGC membership would have been until March 2020 (last month). I also understand that JAL automatically deducts 5,000 miles (in early March) to auto-renew my JGC membership. I am based in the US. I unfortunately did not accumulate any FLY ON points in 2019.

According to my recent transactions/activity, JAL has not yet deducted the 5,000 miles; nor do I see any indication on the JAL website that my membership has been renewed (though perhaps I am looking on the wrong page?). Is some action required to renew the JGC membership? I did some searching and could not find a way to request JGC membership renewal online. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
obviously we need to eliminate the common issues.
1. have you checked your mileage activity and confirmed 5k wasnt deducted?
2. do you have more than 5k miles valid in your account?
3. do you have a JALCARD CLUB-A Card, CLUB-A Gold Card, JAL Diners Card, or JAL Platinum Card?
4. are you part of any JAL Family Club group, and not the primary account holder? (miles get deducted from the primary account holder in a JAL Family Club group)

Members with a JALCARD CLUB-A Card, CLUB-A Gold Card, JAL Diners Card, or JAL Platinum Card are not required to pay 5,000 miles at renewal as it is covered by the JALCARD annual fee.
As a JGC member, you can renew your membership by paying the renewal fee of 5,000 miles*, which will be automatically deducted from your JMB account at the beginning of March. This renewal fee will be waived for JGC members who earn at least 25,000 FLY ON Points or fly on at least 10 qualifying JAL international flights that are eligible for JMB mileage accrual during the calendar year.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, JMB Sapphire
Thanks Tokyoite. Regarding the points you mentioned:

1. Confirmed that nothing was deducted (there is no activity in my account since last fall).
2. I do have more than 5K miles, yes.
3. I do not have any of the JAL cards you mentioned (or any JAL card, for that matter, aside from the JMB Sapphire / JGC membership card).
4. I am not part of any JAL Family Club group.

Any other thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.