Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I had a Large Suite earlier this month and it had both the large bottles and Pharmacopia miniatures.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2022, 7:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by lalala
Hi,

Can anyone confirm that the hotel is still using REN products? We have a stay starting on Friday and if REN is in house, I'll skip packing my own.

lala
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Last few weeks it’s been large bottles of T London in the rooms and miniatures of Pharmacopia in the suite.
REN at end of July in some sort of deluxe room.
lalala likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Sending the guest relations person an email with some things and I'll make the request that we get REN. The other two (as much as I like the T London) contain methylisothiazolinone which is a big no no to my Taller Half (tm).

lala
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
They don’t have a great record of responding to emails, but PM me if you’d like their WhatsApp if you don’t already have it.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 12:42 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Two stays ever at this property.Its a beautiful property but not a fan of all the stairs everywhere
Once no upgrade second time they called it a suite but i would call it a guest room with a desk and bathroom in another hallway
The shower floor wobbled like a cheap stall.Underwhelmed.The GM was the oddest Hyatt GM I've ever met and was glad to see him leave the property(TMI)

The breakfast was great.The room service dinner one of the worst ever with any Hyatt hotel I can remember
I arrived to a welcome amenity of a hard stale croissant on a room service tray.Weird IMO
One way to get rid of the old bread?
Loved their plush cloud like beds if they have them still and enormous plush bath sheets which screamed luxury spa
I ordered a dozen of them brand new to ship to me.
Not sure why I never warmed up to the property but liked a number of the team members
Old Sep 6, 2022, 6:53 pm

Stayed 4 nights a couple of weeks ago (Saturday - Wednesday). We took redeye flights from the east coast and arrived bright and early on Saturday morning. Both rooms were nearly ready when we arrived at the hotel so we waited about 10-15 min and got into them before 9am!
  • Our room was booked as a King Bed - it was upgraded to Andaz Suite in my app even before we boarded our flight. It's not really a suite as it doesn't have a separate living area but it was a very large and well appointed room so no complaints. I had a different experience with the payment compared to the post above. I booked a nonrefundable rate which had said "full payment upon booking" but I was never charged for it. And I always saw the extra service charge noted which turned out to be ~$12 per day so I didn't have any problems with that. Actually thought it was easier to not have to carry change to tip housekeeping etc. After our stay the payment went through on my WOH credit card.
  • My parents' room was booked as a Queen Bed since it was guest of honor (on points). Only 17k per night because for some reason it was off peak. They were upgraded to a Deluxe King Bed which was almost as large as our room. Nice high ceilings and good views.
We were globalists so had free breakfast each morning. Upon arrival front desk told us we can go to either the buffet at Eastway (which also had small a la carte dishes) or the a la carte at Rake's. She even mentioned Rake's is much more beautiful which was definitely true. We did buffet 3 mornings and ordered at Rake's once. The food overall at the buffet was great - a very solid European breakfast with various bread, pastries, meats and fish, cheeses, yogurt/overnight oats/chia puddings, fruit, juices, and hot foods (all the components that make up a full English breakfast). Coffee was french press and came with STEAMED milk, something my coffee snob husband was impressed by. Rake's was great too and carried a few different dishes if you're bored with the buffet but give yourselves PLENTY of time as the service was very slow! I highly recommend the shakshuka and the cinnamon crunch french toast! Menu had no price and noted each person can order 2 dishes and unlimited drinks - the dishes were on the small side so if you're hungry, order two! And the mocha there was served with toasted marshmallows! Nothing ever showed up on our bill.

The hotel itself was very beautiful - the lobby, the rooms, the building from outside. As someone noted there are a lot of stairs though. Even on the same floor or going to breakfast there's a lot of ups and downs. Not an issue for us but beware. I thought it might've been far for touristy stuff (since it was first time for my husband and parents, and previously I've always stayed near Hyde Park or Covent Garden), but the Liverpool station and the new Elizabeth Line made things so easy! And of course for closer sights like St. Paul's and Tower of London we can easily walk to within ~15 minutes.

Overall highly recommend especially if you have Globalist status. I was debating between this versus the Churchill mainly due to location but so happy we stayed here!
Old Sep 16, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by cmanc
Since I posted a question about suites thought I would provide quick update after the stay. Since this was a family trip purely for leisure I wanted to make sure that we got rooms that would work well for the stay in London which was a mix of sightseeing and meeting old friends.

I emailed the hotel asking for floor plans and explaining that I wanted a suite with a connecting room. They couldn't provide floor plans for the suites but did help me secure a large andaz suite and 1 connecting room + additional room next door which was non connecting. I have stayed in the large suite before and I do like the suite, as noted in other reports it is a single large space with a large entertainment center dividing the room between sleeping and sitting areas. It works well but understand that some could be disappointed with this layout and not having separate rooms. One other minor gripe is that the bathroom in the large suite is small and for example doesn't have the standalone shower that many of the other rooms at Andaz have.

On our previous family trip to London we had stayed at the Churchill again in a suite and with a connecting room. Everything was great at the Churchill, location, lounge, room and staff were all great. My visits to the Andaz have all been business and I've not thought of it as a family friendly hotel or a place with many tourists. However the staff and hotel were very family friendly and accommodating as well as the location turned out to be great for our short stay in London, walking distance to St. Pauls and Tower of London and plenty of casual eating places around the area.

A few minor issues to report:
1) On arrival at 3.30pm none of the rooms were ready. Staff very apologetic and offered us alterative rooms that were not close or temporary rooms to freshen up. Declined these since two of the rooms would be ready in 30-45mins. 3rd room would be later and in fact since we were heading to the theatre we didn't get into the 3rd room till 10.30ish. This is now the 3rd time I've had this happen at the Andaz and on one of the occasions it was around 6pm when I was trying to check in so if you want an early check-in or really want to make sure your room will be ready at the 3pm check-in time then best to call head
2) We went for a drink in the champagne bar and the waitress spilled the full glass over my wife. Very apologetic and of course replaced the drink but no offer to launder the clothes or buy the round of drinks. Now not as though we were dressed in our best clothes and accidents do happen but a small token would have been nice.
3) I had booked with the front desk a 6 person people carrier to take us to St. Pancreas for the Eurostar. When I got to reception no one could find the car, no big deal since there is a taxi stand across the street and there were 2 people carriers in the line anyway. The disappointing piece was that the hotel staff just disappeared they didn't go to the line and get the taxi or help with loading the luggage left it all to me. I am not the kind of traveler who wants to be overly pampered and usually refuse the bellman when they ask to take the luggage etc. but did think this was poor service.

Anyway above gripes IMO are small and did little to detract from a great stay at the Andaz. Next time we are in London will now be a difficult choice between Andaz or Churchill with the family.
Aside from the Andaz Large Suite that offers a connecting option to another room, are there any other suites that offer this option? The Andaz Design Suite perhaps? There’s another very extensive review also with the Andaz Large Suite as connecting. Asking with a 4 adult + 1 infant stay in mind, and like the above want to stay “together” via a connecting room option.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 24, 2022, 6:25 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Here's a new one: Was in the process of making a Suite booking on points for July 2023. Every option from full points, Points and Cash, Standard and Premium Suite Upgrades were all available., Go to the final payment screen and hit submit before getting the message The room type selected is no longer available.

I've never seen that in all of my Hyatt loyalty lifetime, so started from scratch and the property no denies points bookings completely. If you select cash, every room type is available.

I've seen properties not offer anything other than full points, but never zero options outside of Xmas, NYE etc.

According to Hyatt's T/Cs there are not blackout dates

Last edited by m0hamed; Oct 24, 2022 at 9:05 pm
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:23 am

I'm also unable to make a points booking for June 2023 despite all rooms showing up as available. Is this a new thing?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
What specific dates are you looking at? Looking at 5 random nights in June it looks like no Queen Beds (Standard Rooms) are available.

I do notice that they've gone back to rogue pricing behaviours which they implemented back in Sept: Rooms are set to a minimum of £530 (more often £650) which is obviously ridiculous. They then change back to ~£250 later. For example, in the beginning of Sept rooms from Sept to January were showing at £530 minimum without exception, but now you can often get one for less than £300. June 2023 prices look to be above £600 again which they'll certainly not going to be able to fill the hotel with. I may have a word when I'm next there to pass on that this annoying behaviour is losing them business.

Two thoughts from someone who stays at the Andaz very often:
What you're currently seeing in terms of pricing for June 2023 is almost certainly going to change dramatically before then (i.e. room rates will go down by more than 50%). I wouldn't be surprised if points availability comes back too
I don't think that I've ever used points at the Andaz as it's almost the same number of points as the Churchill, Great Scotland Yard or if you're very lucky the Dukes which for me at least are in much better locations (and generally have "true" room rates of 2-3x the Andaz)
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
What specific dates are you looking at? Looking at 5 random nights in June it looks like no Queen Beds (Standard Rooms) are available.

I do notice that they've gone back to rogue pricing behaviours which they implemented back in Sept: Rooms are set to a minimum of £530 (more often £650) which is obviously ridiculous. They then change back to ~£250 later. For example, in the beginning of Sept rooms from Sept to January were showing at £530 minimum without exception, but now you can often get one for less than £300. June 2023 prices look to be above £600 again which they'll certainly not going to be able to fill the hotel with. I may have a word when I'm next there to pass on that this annoying behaviour is losing them business.

Two thoughts from someone who stays at the Andaz very often:
What you're currently seeing in terms of pricing for June 2023 is almost certainly going to change dramatically before then (i.e. room rates will go down by more than 50%). I wouldn't be surprised if points availability comes back too
I don't think that I've ever used points at the Andaz as it's almost the same number of points as the Churchill, Great Scotland Yard or if you're very lucky the Dukes which for me at least are in much better locations (and generally have "true" room rates of 2-3x the Andaz)

Thanks for that info! I'm looking at the first week of June and didn't realize that King rooms did not count as standard rooms. Unfortunately neither the Churchill or Great Scotland Yard have points availability, but Dukes does. I hadn't considered Dukes because of the lack of Globalist benefits. But I'll look into it since it's our first time in London and location looks great.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:36 pm

The Dukes is a London institution, although I will admit the service wasn't up to its pre-pandemic sleekness on my last visit. A stay there is worth it for the bar, Alessandro's chat and the martinis which inspired Ian Fleming's portrayal of James Bond.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:40 pm

Looking for a 4 night quick vacation in London (2nd visit). Debating between GSY or Andaz. GSY is 25k points/nt and Andaz is 17k points. Going to/from LHR via paddington express.

Reading both threads, I honestly don't think the GSY is worth the extra 32k points required. Opinions?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
I haven't been to GSY, but I have been to the Andaz a few times. Solid property for 17k points, right above Liverpool station makes it easy to get around as well. Spitafield Market and shoreditch are walking distance as well. Not sure if you are a Globalist but If you are the breakfast included is decent as well. I personally do not think it's worth 32k extra points. Hope this helps.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2023, 6:50 pm

Just a lowly discoverist so none of that stuff will come my way lol Appreciate the feedback though

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.