Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 1:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by AppleTwapple
Looking for a 4 night quick vacation in London (2nd visit). Debating between GSY or Andaz. GSY is 25k points/nt and Andaz is 17k points. Going to/from LHR via paddington express.

Reading both threads, I honestly don't think the GSY is worth the extra 32k points required. Opinions?
I’d pick based on the location of where you want to be. Both are solid hotels by London standards. You can think of the extra points for the GSY as being entirely for the more central location.

GSY has higher quality hardware, but Andaz will have larger rooms. Andaz has better connections, but the GSY is right in the west end and so walking distance for a lot of the stuff that tourists would want to do. If you intend to eat curries in Brick Lane and go out in Shoreditch, then you might as well save your points.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I split a week between the two last fall. I would save your points and do the Andaz personally.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:03 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Looking for a 4 night quick vacation in London (2nd visit). Debating between GSY or Andaz. GSY is 25k points/nt and Andaz is 17k points. Going to/from LHR via paddington express.

Reading both threads, I honestly don't think the GSY is worth the extra 32k points required. Opinions?
If you do go with the Andaz, it will probably be easier and certainly cheaper to take the Elizabeth Line directly from the airport to the hotel at Liverpool St rather than taking the marginally faster Heathrow Express to Paddington and then having to change to another train or a taxi.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro

Visited London for the first time a year ago and split time between the two. I agree with the other comments that it should be location dependent. I enjoyed starting with GSY as a first time being close to some major sights. I also enjoyed wandering Spitalfields and Shoreditch, in addition to heading south across the Thames from the Andaz.

Going back to the Andaz for the second time in a couple months. The value is excellent on points! Splitting time with the HR Churchill on this trip.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA
Does anyone have experience trying to get a better rate based on stay length here? My company has a good rate at the HP london city east. I've stayed there and would rather not if I can get away with it.

I have two upcoming trips, 10 nights and then 2 weeks later a 15 night stay.
Old Jan 7, 2023, 7:40 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by onetouchpass
Visited London for the first time a year ago and split time between the two. I agree with the other comments that it should be location dependent. I enjoyed starting with GSY as a first time being close to some major sights. I also enjoyed wandering Spitalfields and Shoreditch, in addition to heading south across the Thames from the Andaz.

Going back to the Andaz for the second time in a couple months. The value is excellent on points! Splitting time with the HR Churchill on this trip.
I guess I'm the odd man out on GSY. I think it's a horrible property. For starters, the lobby smell is absolutely sickening. But beyond that, the rooms are absurdly tiny. We supposedly got a double upgrade on the last stay, yet there was barely room for our suitcases.

They also engage in the sleazy extra fee practice. However, unlike the Churchill and other properties, they sneakily roll the fee into room rate without telling you (the Churchill lists it as a separate item). You have to call them out on it. This is borderline fraud. The last time, I only noticed it because I compared the rate we booked at and the rate we paid. After I complained, it took them two weeks to refund their illicit theft.

The location is a mixed blessing at best. You go out the door and straight into a human whitewater flood.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loganseatac
I'm also unable to make a points booking for June 2023 despite all rooms showing up as available. Is this a new thing?
Anyone figure out what's going on here? I was looking at some dates in late summer/fall that are even off-peak and show no award availability. Do they just not load this inventory in advance?
Old Jan 12, 2023, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
This hotel and to a lesser degree London Hyatts in general have just had ridiculous rates and limited availability for anything beyond 2 month stays for nearly a year now.

It all seems to go back to normal (or a slightly higher than before new normal) once you get within the roughly 2 month period.
Old Jan 12, 2023, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
This hotel and to a lesser degree London Hyatts in general have just had ridiculous rates and limited availability for anything beyond 2 month stays for nearly a year now.

It all seems to go back to normal (or a slightly higher than before new normal) once you get within the roughly 2 month period.
Thanks. I've seen that game elsewhere, and it seems more prevalent now as hoteliers have a harder time predicting future demand (and don't want to miss out on profiting from the post-pandemic travel surge). I like to go shopping for hotel award stays as soon as I book my airline seats (and booking them early this year seems wise), but I guess I'll have to wait awhile to book Hyatt award stays in London.
Old Jan 16, 2023, 7:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I noticed some other folks mentioning the queen bed rooms, do they ever open up king bed availability on points?

On a related note, I'm curious how folks who've stayed at the Andaz and the HR Churchill feel they compare on room quality, bed comfort, and breakfast? Either location works just fine for my upcoming trip this spring. Gosh do I with the PH London was going to be open sooner!
Old Jan 17, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by manu08
I noticed some other folks mentioning the queen bed rooms, do they ever open up king bed availability on points?

On a related note, I'm curious how folks who've stayed at the Andaz and the HR Churchill feel they compare on room quality, bed comfort, and breakfast? Either location works just fine for my upcoming trip this spring. Gosh do I with the PH London was going to be open sooner!
They are two different beasts. Andaz room sizes are not standard (as far as I can tell). I think the beds are great. The windows vary depending on the room location, so natural light is hard to assess. I do like the nespresso machines, the bathrooms are good. The counter space is awful though compared to the Churchill. Andaz location and vibe is not particularly child friendly, which is a plus for me. Breakfast is great at the Andaz. I have only eaten in the Regency club at the Churchill, so not sure how to compare the two.

Andaz is very close to many awesome restaurants, I cannot say the same for the Churchill with the exception of Locanda Locatelli.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 2:04 pm

One thing to note about the Andaz is that their lowest two or so categories of rooms are small and claustrophobic. Really horrible. As a Globalist I've received them only twice, but some of what are described as King size rooms are like broom cupboards, sometimes with almost no window. The lowest category rooms at the Churchill meanwhile are fine.

Both breakfasts are really quite strong. The Churchill has a few Middle Eastern things added, but otherwise I don't think there's a clear winner.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
One thing to note about the Andaz is that their lowest two or so categories of rooms are small and claustrophobic. Really horrible. As a Globalist I've received them only twice, but some of what are described as King size rooms are like broom cupboards, sometimes with almost no window. The lowest category rooms at the Churchill meanwhile are fine.

Both breakfasts are really quite strong. The Churchill has a few Middle Eastern things added, but otherwise I don't think there's a clear winner.
Thanks for that heads-up. Getting a broom closet would definitely be unpleasant. As a Globalist, I guess I could roll the dice.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2023, 7:57 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I stayed here a few times pre pandemic so my two cents may be clearly out of date now.

My take away?
Good Beds Pillow tops on the softer side if they haven't been changed
Great Towels I bought 6 to go luxurious absorbent spa like large bath sheets
Solid breakfast poor confused dysfunctional service close to non existent.I assume a lot of rotating interns?
Mediocre antiquated room with traffic noise.Seriously through toggle switches for on/off switches.Part of the charm?
Suite was easily laughable but ok as a guest room.It had a desk with a tiny alcove I suppose that makes it a suite
Horrible shower stall that belongs in an RV.Like a cheap cramped shower stall you might by in Home depot and it rocked as you moved around inside it
Possibly the worst room service in Hyatt's History. Shocking how bad it was
Interesting historic meets modern architecture but awkward layout for a hotel. I'll assume for anyone physically challenged all disabled

Sorry I love Andaz as a brand Vienna, Maui, Andaz 5th NYC somewhat and others but likely never again Andaz Liverpool except to buy more towels

Churchill old and dated with some superb polished team members through the years but an iconic classic none the less.Always comfortable accommodations
Hands down Churchill if having to choose Hyatt.I typically go to select premium Hilton brands in London newer and get suites each and every stay and solid breakfasts
and towels almost as good as Andaz.My personal room types are always the opposites of what FT posters seem to chase
I've heard from others that are happy at Andaz in London.
I failed both times @ Andaz and met easily the weirdest GMs in Hyatt's history that thankfully is long gone!
Going back I remember rates as low as 97 GBP a night on weekends many years ago.
Sure those days are long gone with many a hotel gouging these days.
Seriously any hotel that has a broom closet upgrade is not one I ever want to step foot in.
And you potentially risk your reputation and return guests on sticking it to your top 20% of your best frequent customers/members
YMMV
Old Jan 18, 2023, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lalala
They are two different beasts. Andaz room sizes are not standard (as far as I can tell). I think the beds are great. The windows vary depending on the room location, so natural light is hard to assess. I do like the nespresso machines, the bathrooms are good. The counter space is awful though compared to the Churchill. Andaz location and vibe is not particularly child friendly, which is a plus for me. Breakfast is great at the Andaz. I have only eaten in the Regency club at the Churchill, so not sure how to compare the two.

Andaz is very close to many awesome restaurants, I cannot say the same for the Churchill with the exception of Locanda Locatelli.
Brekky at Churchill now in the lobby restaurant Montagu. Really excellent and an upgrade over the lounge (still available).

can’t remember if bedding this good last time I was there too but was fantastic. Like PH quality.

there is now a St John a short walk away. Awesome meal. Also hit my perennial favorite Grazing Goat. Pub good but a cut above IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.