Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Matt4200

Hyatt House generally does not give upgrades proactively it does take some prodding to receive even as a Globalist.
Hyatt House and Hyatt Place are both excluded from the upgrade benefit. So they may give upgrades if they choose, but it’s entirely property dependent and not something a Globalist is entitled to.
59Impala likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Hyatt House and Hyatt Place are both excluded from the upgrade benefit. So they may give upgrades if they choose, but it’s entirely property dependent and not something a Globalist is entitled to.
I agree with you, it’s not something one is entitled to as a published benefit.

According to Hyatt’s Concierge though -

A Globalist may however ask at Hyatt House on the day of check in if the particular Hyatt House will grant a Globalist a complimentary upgrade. Again this is not guaranteed and the property is entirely free to say no and the Globalist will have no recourse as it is not a guaranteed benefit but rather something done as a courtesy honoring one’s Globalist status.

In further discussion with Hyatt’s Concierge on the topic of Hyatt House Globalist upgrades the reason they are excluded is that many Hyatt House properties are all suite properties so you are already in a Standard Suite and further upgrades would be nonsensical as those would be premium suites.

One funny thing about this (well I find it funny) I frequently (15 nights annually) go to a HH that is an “all suite property” their lowest suite is a One Bedroom King Suite (5k points) and bookable under a Standard Suite (8k points) is a Two Bedroom Two King Bed Suite and the One Bedroom King Suite which is a bit funny.

Anyways if you absolutely need a suite use a TSU, if you don’t mind leaving it to chance then roll the dice.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In further discussion with Hyatt’s Concierge on the topic of Hyatt House Globalist upgrades the reason they are excluded is that many Hyatt House properties are all suite properties so you are already in a Standard Suite and further upgrades would be nonsensical as those would be premium suites.
Now that’s just your concierge making stuff up! And rather poorly too since their “reason” covers such a small number of HH properties and doesn’t cover any HP.

It’s not just suites that you’re not entitled to complimentary upgrades at HH/HP - you’re not entitled to any upgrade even to another category of non-suite. It’s completely at the properties discretion.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 5:05 pm

Now that’s just your concierge making stuff up! And rather poorly too since their “reason” covers such a small number of HH properties and doesn’t cover any HP.

It’s not just suites that you’re not entitled to complimentary upgrades at HH/HP - you’re not entitled to any upgrade even to another category of non-suite. It’s completely at the properties discretion.
A) It’s not my Concierge it’s Hyatt’s Concierge who also checked with their direct manager and provided that response.

B) I didn’t say any Glob was entitled to any upgrade at any HH, even non suite upgrades. I said that Hyatt’s reasoning for the exclusion, according to Hyatt’s Concierge, is that many HH properties are all-suite properties meaning an upgrade would be impossible and rather than deal with everyone complaining about not getting further upgraded from the base suite at those properties Hyatt Corporate decided to exclude HH from the benefit altogether so they’d have less headaches.

I literally said I agree with you that Globalists are not entitled to any guaranteed upgrades at HH and any upgrade is completely at the property’s discretion if they say no then they say no, but many HH properties are generous and do provide upgrades if space is available and you’re staying shorter term (1-3 days).

The only guaranteed benefits at HH for Globs I’ve found are -

Complimentary Parking on Award Stays

2 Waters Per Day (upon request)

Late Checkout (and Early Check In)

Those are the only Guaranteed Benefits for Globs at HH.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
A) It’s not my Concierge it’s Hyatt’s Concierge who also checked with their direct manager and provided that response.

B) I didn’t say any Glob was entitled to any upgrade at any HH, even non suite upgrades. I said that Hyatt’s reasoning for the exclusion, according to Hyatt’s Concierge, is that many HH properties are all-suite properties meaning an upgrade would be impossible and rather than deal with everyone complaining about not getting further upgraded from the base suite at those properties Hyatt Corporate decided to exclude HH from the benefit altogether so they’d have less headaches.

I literally said I agree with you that Globalists are not entitled to any guaranteed upgrades at HH and any upgrade is completely at the property’s discretion if they say no then they say no, but many HH properties are generous and do provide upgrades if space is available and you’re staying shorter term (1-3 days).

The only guaranteed benefits at HH for Globs I’ve found are -

Complimentary Parking on Award Stays

2 Waters Per Day (upon request)

Late Checkout (and Early Check In)

Those are the only Guaranteed Benefits for Globs at HH.
What or who is the Hyatt Concierge?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by danger
What or who is the Hyatt Concierge?
You get a personal Concierge called MHC as a Milestone award for hitting 60 Nights per year.

The other type of Concierge is available via Twitter you can reach out and Hyatt’s Executive Concierge Team will be able to assist with just about anything Hyatt related.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:04 am

Regardless of which type of Hyatt customer service representative it was, their explanation doesn't really hold water.

My comment was in response to your earlier statement which implied that Hyatt House properties are reluctant to give upgrades and need to be prodded into action (vs. that aren't obliged to provide anything and any "prodding" is really just blagging ). Seems like that's all cleared up now.

Hyatt House generally does not give upgrades proactively it does take some prodding to receive even as a Globalist.

Last edited by coleslaw; Jan 31, 2022 at 4:28 am Reason: Autocorrect typo
Old Jan 31, 2022, 4:27 am

Regardless of which type of Hyatt customer service representative it was, their explanation doesn't really hold water.

My comment was in response to your earlier statement which implied that Hyatt House properties are reluctant to give upgrades and need to be prodded into action (vs. that aren't obliged to provide anything and any "prodding" is really just bragging ). Seems like that's all cleared up now.
I definitely feel it’s a legitimate explanation as to why Hyatt excluded them, less headaches. And the inverse is true for Hyatt Places very very few have “Suites” available. I’ve never been to a HP I haven’t received an upgrade at though, even without asking. Every HH I’ve been to has provided some type of upgrade whether it’s a “view” room or otherwise, the only one that didn’t was HH Provo Utah.

By prodding I mean simply requesting an upgrade at check in by asking during the check in process. I consider that very very far from “bragging” in any way. They of course are free to say no and you have no recourse, whereas if it were a HR or HC and upgrades we’re available you’d have recourse by calling Hyatt or MHC.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 5:04 am

By prodding I mean simply requesting an upgrade at check in by asking during the check in process. I consider that very very far from “bragging” in any way. They of course are free to say no and you have no recourse, whereas if it were a HR or HC and upgrades we’re available you’d have recourse by calling Hyatt or MHC.
*blagging
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:49 pm

IHG Just Announced -

“Ability to top off award certificates with points. For example if an award certificate is good for properties up to 40,000 points per night but the property you want to stay at costs 50,000 points you can use the certificate and 10,000 points.”.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...h-points-more/

I feel like this would be very useful with Hyatt using a Category 1-4 Certificate + 5k points for a Category 5 property. A lot of desirable properties are Category 5, but not quite 6 or 7 so using a Cat 1-7 on then is wasteful, Andaz Papagayo is a great example as in 2019 they were a Cat 4 and many many Cat 1-4 Certs were redeemed here, I know many people wish they’d have a way to redeem them at this property.
friedablass, Pocatello and Illinwu like this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
They do this as a "benefit" right before taking a torch to their loyalty program (see Marriott)
friedablass likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
They do this as a "benefit" right before taking a torch to their loyalty program (see Marriott)
Hyatt’s are a lot more niche than Marriott, Hilton or IHG and as such they need to cultivate loyalty that much more.

That being said it’s just an idea, I don’t see it as a bad one in any way.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:34 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

free night at end of multi-night stay in non-standard room

I have one free night certificate. I would like to use it on the final night of a multi-night stay, where the start of the stay is in a non-standard room. In other words, I'm paying for a room above a standard room, but would like to use a free night certificate for a final night.

I have two candidate stays. The first is a two-night stay where I have reserved a Points + Cash suite upgrade; the rate code is Lp Suite Pts Upgr - CR51440. The second is a four-night stay, all cash, and simply in a room that is better than the standard room. In both cases, I have made two reservations, one for the earlier night(s) and a second reservation (in the same room type) just for the final night (so it will be easy to cancel).

Do I just make reservation using the free night certificate for the final night, cancel the existing final night reservation, and then hope the hotel lets me stay in the better room? Do I make the reservation and then contact the hotel in advance of the stay? If so, how do I phrase my request and how do I get it to the right person? In either case, am I better off appending the free night to a one-night P+C stay or a three-night cash stay? Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 7:26 pm

Location: Atlanta, Georgia / New Orleans, Louisiana - Southeastern U.S.
Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond Medallion, World of Hyatt Globalist, Southwest CP & United 1K
Originally Posted by serpens
I have one free night certificate. I would like to use it on the final night of a multi-night stay, where the start of the stay is in a non-standard room. In other words, I'm paying for a room above a standard room, but would like to use a free night certificate for a final night.

I have two candidate stays. The first is a two-night stay where I have reserved a Points + Cash suite upgrade; the rate code is Lp Suite Pts Upgr - CR51440. The second is a four-night stay, all cash, and simply in a room that is better than the standard room. In both cases, I have made two reservations, one for the earlier night(s) and a second reservation (in the same room type) just for the final night (so it will be easy to cancel).

Do I just make reservation using the free night certificate for the final night, cancel the existing final night reservation, and then hope the hotel lets me stay in the better room? Do I make the reservation and then contact the hotel in advance of the stay? If so, how do I phrase my request and how do I get it to the right person? In either case, am I better off appending the free night to a one-night P+C stay or a three-night cash stay? Thanks for any advice.
This will be subject to the discretion of the hotel whether they will allow you to stay in the better room in both cases.
Given how revenue is important at this time, it's probably better to do the all-cash option.
A hotel would upgrade you to a suite based on availability according to your Globalist status.

If you'd like to do the Points + Cash Upgrade Option, then you'll have the suite, and at times if the suite is not reserved by another guest on the extra day you'd like to checkout then you may be able to stay in it, it all depends on availability. This also does depend on the brand you're staying at too, e.g. Park Hyatt, vs. Hyatt Regency, etc. They should allow you to stay in your room if you explain to them you'd like to stay a final night after the other paid nights while you're on property, and they can merge the reservations or the final night can stay as a separate one.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:29 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Once again, I failed to provide enough information. Sorry.
Originally Posted by ATLMichael
This will be subject to the discretion of the hotel whether they will allow you to stay in the better room in both cases.
Given how revenue is important at this time, it's probably better to do the all-cash option.
A hotel would upgrade you to a suite based on availability according to your Globalist status.
Thanks for the answer. I have credit card status, whatever that is. (I never learned the new terms, but I'm certainly not Globalist.) I'm happy to pay all cash. I'm unhappy to lose the free night certificate, and I have no one-night stays planned; hence the question. The property is a Hyatt Place or Hyatt House.

Maybe I should contact the property, say that I have a reservation using a free night certificate following a cash reservation, and ask what upcharge the hotel would want to let me stay in the better-than-standard room, and see what the answer is. If I do this, is it better to email or call? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.