Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 18, 2023, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jbeckett
The following info may be helpful for all newbies:

Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 award at 30 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-7 award at 60 night milestone: expiration 6 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at annual renewal: expiration 12 months later.
Chase WoH credit card issued CAT 1-4 award at $15k spend: expiration 12 months later.
Hyatt issued CAT 1-4 Brand explorer award (for every 5 brands): expiration 12 months later.

Print Wikipost

[HYATT NEWBIE LOUNGE - 2016] Ask Your Questions Here (flame/snark free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Matt4200.

Am I correct that the 60 nights and the 100,000 points are completely binary, in that if a person has fewer than 60 nights, then the person needs at least 100,000 points? And if a person has fewer than 100,000 points, then the person needs at least 60 nights? In other words, in an extreme example, someone with 99,000 points and 59 nights fails to qualify?
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by serpens
if a person has fewer than 60 nights, then the person needs at least 100,000 points? And if a person has fewer than 100,000 points, then the person needs at least 60 nights? In other words, in an extreme example, someone with 99,000 points and 59 nights fails to qualify?
Correct.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jehova
Thank you @Matt4200! I didn't $'s spent on Hyatt properties only applies to base points. AND that $'s spent on groceries, gas, plane tix using WoH credit card do not count towards base points.
That is correct, base points are only earned by spend directly at Hyatt.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, Matt4200.

Am I correct that the 60 nights and the 100,000 points are completely binary, in that if a person has fewer than 60 nights, then the person needs at least 100,000 points? And if a person has fewer than 100,000 points, then the person needs at least 60 nights? In other words, in an extreme example, someone with 99,000 points and 59 nights fails to qualify?
Yes, they are completely unrelated and do not supplement one another. Many Globalists earn both the 100k Base Points and the 60 Elite Nights per year, but don’t get anything extra for double qualification.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 1:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by coleslaw
Correct.
Originally Posted by Matt4200
[...]Yes, they are completely unrelated and do not supplement one another. [...]
Thanks for the confirmation.
[...] Many Globalists earn both the 100k Base Points and the 60 Elite Nights per year, but don’t get anything extra for double qualification.
Wow. As someone who now travels only on my own money, I was hoping for a shortcut. It hadn't occurred to me that someone might meet both qualifications.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Wow. As someone who now travels only on my own money, I was hoping for a shortcut. It hadn't occurred to me that someone might meet both qualifications.
100,000 base points is $20k spend which averages out to ~$333 per night. For business travelers to major global cities (London, New York, Hong Kong, etc) that nightly average is.... pretty average.

So while I wouldn't say that "most" members qualify on both spend and nights, I think there's probably a very considerable proportion of members who do.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 2:07 pm

Definitely understandable - The only official shortcut is through the WOH credit card getting 5 nights for having the card then 2 nights earned per 5k spent.

Given the current social and economic climate though it’s very likely Hyatt will either reduce requirements (as they did last year) or run promos allowing double elite nights during specified periods.

As for double qualification it’s quite common for people who travel regularly even those not traveling for work. It’s basically $20,000 spent on stays (that is also including any money spent on food and beverage too) and staying 60 nights (or 55 with the Hyatt Credit Card).

On average I would say I spend $7,500 with Hyatt annually and redeem 100-200k points for stays as well which gets me to Globalist. It’s also much easier to retain Globalist once you have it because of the benefits it actually pushes you and encourages you to stay more IMHO.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:48 pm

Question re: Globalist upgrade

Just became Globalist.
Still getting to know how WOH program works.

Anyways I’ve had 2 stays since becoming Globalist, one Hyatt House and another Hyatt Regency. Both were 2nd from the lowest price category, both times the app showed availability of higher category rooms, but both times no upgrade. Particularly disappointing was the Hyatt Regency as I don’t believe they even attempted to give me one of the better rooms in the booked category (I booked ‘view room’) since they put me on 8th floor of a 14-story hotel.

I don’t normally ask for upgrade. I just have a hang up about it for various reasons. But Im always hoping for it. With Hilton Diamond in America, if you don’t ask you pretty much don’t get (in Asia it’s different).
Was hoping Globalist would be different. But is it the same type of deal? So far I’m batting 0 for 2.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, SQ, UA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by evergrn
Just became Globalist.

Anyways I’ve had 2 stays since becoming Globalist, one Hyatt House and another Hyatt Regency. Both were 2nd from the lowest price category, both times the app showed availability of higher category rooms, but both times no upgrade. Particularly disappointing was the Hyatt Regency as I don’t believe they even attempted to give me one of the better rooms in the booked category (I booked ‘view room’) since they put me on 8th floor of a 14-story hotel.

I don’t normally ask for upgrade. I just have a hang up about it for various reasons. But Im always hoping for it. With Hilton Diamond in America, if you don’t ask you pretty much don’t get (in Asia it’s different).
Was hoping Globalist would be different. But is it the same type of deal? So far I’m batting 0 for 2.
I've had a lot of success in last 12 months with 4 stays (4/4 upgrades) Hyatt Regencies but none (0/2) at Hyatt Houses, which seem to cater the nicer rooms to long term corporate stays.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by WhereAmIHeading
I've had a lot of success in last 12 months with 4 stays (4/4 upgrades) Hyatt Regencies but none (0/2) at Hyatt Houses, which seem to cater the nicer rooms to long term corporate stays.
Did they upgrade you unprompted at Regencies, or did you have to ask?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, SQ, UA, DL, WN
Did they upgrade you unprompted at Regencies, or did you have to ask?
Unprompted and automatic on app each time.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by WhereAmIHeading
Unprompted and automatic on app each time.
really?
ok I will just hope then that things will get better for me.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Just became Globalist.

In my recent experience, my Glob treatment seems to have gotten worse. Just finished a stay at a hotel I've stayed at multiple times and have been in contact with Management in the past due to poor upgrade experiences. Did not get upgraded automatically to a corner room which is their best non-suite room. Was upgraded to "club level", but the club is closed, so pointless. Had to call to get a corner room assigned. When I checked in, asked about suites because they were now showing up in the app - couldn't do it. Yet, somehow 15 minutes after I got up to my room I got a call saying that a suite had mysteriously become available, but by that time I had already unpacked. Emailed manager I had been in contact with, never even got a response.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 9:46 pm

really?
ok I will just hope then that things will get better for me.
You may have gotten unlucky...it does seem that many hotels play by the rules in terms of globalist upgrades. Please share your negative experiences in the globalist upgrade thread so we know which hotels didn't upgrade you properly: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...es-2022-a.html

If you'd like to take a look at last year's thread you can see how most globs are treated:
Globalist best room available - including standard suites - 2021

Personally, as a globalist I have so far had 3 HR stays (proactively upgraded to best room available every time) and generally got upgraded as an explorist as well (although I was never bashful to ask for it)
Old Jan 29, 2022, 10:48 pm

Just became Globalist.

Many properties make you ask to get the upgrades, especially now with the massive influx of Globalists. Even more so with the lower tiered properties I find this to be true.

At Category 3 and up I typically find this to be less true (just a generalization though).

Hyatt House generally does not give upgrades proactively it does take some prodding to receive even as a Globalist.

If you’re against asking in person perhaps call ahead the day of check in to ask that they add a note?

Something like -

“Hi, I’ll be checking in later today I just wanted to see if you had any Globalist upgrades to X room/suite available (that you’ve checked in the Hyatt app prior to the call to ensure it is actually available)”.

9/10 times I see the upgrade in the app within 30 minutes. I also have a hang up about asking for upgrades in person, it’s just very difficult. If it’s a 3+ day stay and I’m traveling with the wife and kids I’ll do it, but if it’s less I’ll just take what they’re giving.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
You may have gotten unlucky...it does seem that many hotels play by the rules in terms of globalist upgrades. Please share your negative experiences in the globalist upgrade thread so we know which hotels didn't upgrade you properly: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...es-2022-a.html

If you'd like to take a look at last year's thread you can see how most globs are treated:
Globalist best room available - including standard suites - 2021

Personally, as a globalist I have so far had 3 HR stays (proactively upgraded to best room available every time) and generally got upgraded as an explorist as well (although I was never bashful to ask for it)
Okay, I just posted in your linked thread, thanks.

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Many properties make you ask to get the upgrades, especially now with the massive influx of Globalists. Even more so with the lower tiered properties I find this to be true.

At Category 3 and up I typically find this to be less true (just a generalization though).

Hyatt House generally does not give upgrades proactively it does take some prodding to receive even as a Globalist.

If you’re against asking in person perhaps call ahead the day of check in to ask that they add a note?

Something like -

“Hi, I’ll be checking in later today I just wanted to see if you had any Globalist upgrades to X room/suite available (that you’ve checked in the Hyatt app prior to the call to ensure it is actually available)”.

9/10 times I see the upgrade in the app within 30 minutes. I also have a hang up about asking for upgrades in person, it’s just very difficult. If it’s a 3+ day stay and I’m traveling with the wife and kids I’ll do it, but if it’s less I’ll just take what they’re giving.
I see, thank you for your insight and suggestion!
It's going to be very difficult for me to call the front desk ahead of time to ask for upgrade. For me that takes probably even more courage than to ask at the time of check-in. I think where I could see myself inquiring about an upgrade ahead of time would be if it's a property that sends out welcome chat prior to your arrival. Maybe for limited occasions (such as mutli-night vacation stays with family as you say), I just have to step up and ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.