Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:51 pm

I'm trying to book an award stay here around New Year's and strangely they only seem to have Andaz Twins available (No King). They do however have King rooms available in other categories (Bay/Tower/Park View and Large Tower King). As a Globalist how likely am I to get upgraded into one of the King rooms? I'm travelling alone and am taller than average. Would be pretty annoyed at having a twin room.

Additionally, I frequently stay at the Grand Hyatt when I'm in Tokyo and finally decided to give the Andaz a try for this upcoming trip. Can anyone who's stayed at both give their experience as to the pros/cons? I'm already aware that the Grand Hyatt is in a much better location, but in terms of the quality of the staff/hotel/food etc, I expect it to be worth staying in a less convenient location.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I would be thankful for whatever I could get around New Years time, especially during December.

If you're willing to wait, things may open up at the last minute.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Weltall
I'm trying to book an award stay here around New Year's and strangely they only seem to have Andaz Twins available (No King). They do however have King rooms available in other categories (Bay/Tower/Park View and Large Tower King). As a Globalist how likely am I to get upgraded into one of the King rooms? I'm travelling alone and am taller than average. Would be pretty annoyed at having a twin room.
Book the Twin and then send an email requesting a King if available. If you're a Glob they are very likely to pre-book you into a View King and will inform you of that in a return email.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I agree with the above. When I first booked my points stay several months ago, I was in a King for the entire stay. I had to move my dates around and as a result, Twins were only available for the last two nights. I emailed the property and let them know my desire to stay in the King room and they modified my booking accordingly.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:42 pm

I'm already aware that the Grand Hyatt is in a much better location
Roppongi is the single worst part of Tokyo.
Colin and Central90210 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
I don't go to the area with the Nigerian touts/night clubs. Roppongi is the worst place in Tokyo to go out at night, I'll agree with you there.

The Grand Hyatt is in Roppongi Hills which is quite different. In any case, I don't spend much time in Roppongi but find it a much better location for going to Shibuya/Omotesando where I have business than the other Hyatt properties.

Curious what you think is the "best" part of Tokyo?
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Roppongi Hills and Tokyo Midtown are two very nice islands in Roppongi.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
The Grand Hyatt is in Roppongi Hills which is quite different. In any case, I don't spend much time in Roppongi but find it a much better location for going to Shibuya/Omotesando where I have business than the other Hyatt properties.
Nu? The Andaz is good for getting to Omotesando and Shibuya by public transport. The Ginza line is the closest subway stop at Toranomon, and it goes to both Omotesando and Shibuya. For the GH, you can take the Chiyoda line from Nogizaka, but it's a bit of a walk from the GH to Nogizaka. Shibuya is easier, as you can take one of the many buses that run along Roppongi doori and terminate at Shibuya.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Nu? The Andaz is good for getting to Omotesando and Shibuya by public transport. The Ginza line is the closest subway stop at Toranomon, and it goes to both Omotesando and Shibuya. For the GH, you can take the Chiyoda line from Nogizaka, but it's a bit of a walk from the GH to Nogizaka. Shibuya is easier, as you can take one of the many buses that run along Roppongi doori and terminate at Shibuya.
It’s actually pretty close to walk to Omotesando from Grand Hyatt, only about 20 mins. That’s where I worked and I generally preferred walking to getting into the subway to commute such a short distance.

Yeah, it’s pretty rare to commute by walking in Tokyo but I seize the chance! But you’re right that it’s actually pretty easy from the Andaz as well. I definitely prefer being walking distance of Omotesando/Shibuya/Nishi Azabu/Azabu Juban. I spend a lot of time in Ebisu/Hiroo as well so that clinches GH’s location for me.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
It’s actually pretty close to walk to Omotesando from Grand Hyatt, only about 20 mins. That’s where I worked and I generally preferred walking to getting into the subway to commute such a short distance.
You are right. It's a nice walk.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Roppongi Hills and Tokyo Midtown are two very nice islands in Roppongi.
Absolutely. But after you step off the Island you’re still in Roppongi. Hills is at least close to Azabu Juban.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
You are right. It's a nice walk.
Even in the summer I preferred the uphill walk to the even warmer subway stations. I love riding the subway in Tokyo but avoiding it when you can is nice.

i emailed the Andaz about getting a King due to Globalist status. Hoping they comply!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Absolutely. But after you step off the Island you’re still in Roppongi.
I wish there were a way to use the underground tunnels connecting the two without purchasing a subway ticket.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:25 pm

Andaz Tokyo - November 2017

Background:

This was my Globalist free night and I had known from reading this thread the hotel does not upgrade Globalists to suites and you cannot use a Suite Upgrade voucher.

Check-in:

Check-in was on the ground floor and as it was their drinks hour I was invited to have some wine. I was allocated an Andaz Room with a view (not an Andaz Large)

Andaz Large View:

Gym:

I found these new cross trainers unusable.

Breakfast:

Conclusion:

I don't understand why they don't upgrade Globalists into Suites. Nevertheless, the room was very nice and it was great to have a view of Tokyo Tower. The breakfast offering was strong with efficient service. The gym was good but the lack of cross trainers I could use was a negative. I didn't check out the pool.

Overall, a competently-managed stay.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's because they have a very limited number of suites. A more reasonable Globalist expectation would be the Jr suite-esque Andaz Large King room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.