Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 4:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Aventine
I think if a guest asks for it and it's open then it should be given.
EXACTLY!!!

Which is precisely why it is so preposterous to allow the single most desirable table in the entire restaurant to be reserved for breakfast, which could very well result in the table being left empty for a hour or even longer.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Jan 29, 2018 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 29, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Mr. Saito should still be there unless he has recently moved. He was there on my last stay.

When in Tokyo I frequent the Oak Door (now temporarily closed), Maduro, Four Seasons Marunouchi, Trader Vic’s at the New Otani, R2 (Roppongi), and the Ritz-Carlton. All of these are very different, but for me are enjoyable for different reasons. Some are very quiet places, while R2 and Oak Door can be crowded on busy nights.
​​
My favorite old-school hotel bar that still exists (moment of silence for Baron Okura) is the Old Imperial Bar at the Imperial Hotel. The bartenders there are all old souls, probably came with the original FLW bar.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
EXACTLY!!!

Which is precisely why it is so preposterous to allow the single most desirable table in the entire restaurant to be reserved for breakfast, which could very well result in the table being left empty for a hour or even longer.
Early bird catches the worm and it's not to say I would take it for the entire breakfast period.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
My favorite old-school hotel bar that still exists (moment of silence for Baron Okura) is the Old Imperial Bar at the Imperial Hotel. The bartenders there are all old souls, probably came with the original FLW bar.
I’ll have to try it. Especially for drinks after dinner at Kamon. The Imperial is conveniently located for anyone staying at Andaz.

There is a fantastic bar across from sushi Shimizu in Shimbashi, by the way. I have forgotten the name, but have been several times after dinner at Shimizu. I think it’s in fact run by members of the same family, if I am not mistaken.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know it's a very different deal, but I once went to Bar Gen Yamamoto and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
EXACTLY!!!

Let’s agree to disagree - if the hotel allows guests to reserve that table (which they do), then it should be delivered. They can, however, as you’ve pointed out, not allow people to book that exact table and there will be no arguements or disappointments whatsoever. To be clear, that table was unoccupied when I was brought to the table furthest away from the window possible despite making a booking with the manager the previous morning.

It is also my experience that whenever I ask for a window table at the reception for breakfast, I am asked without fail each and every time whether I have a reservation or not. I think you can’t really fault people who make reservations for breakfast since the hotel encourages them. If, however, they have an open window table and you don’t have a reservation, you will still be seated there.

Originally Posted by josephstern
I know it's a very different deal, but I once went to Bar Gen Yamamoto and enjoyed it thoroughly.
I know reservations are a big thing in Japan, even for bars, but did you make a reservation for Gen Yamamoto? I once went there at 4pm on a weekday and was told the bar is full despite being deserted with not a single guest in sight.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Central90210
It is also my experience that whenever I ask for a window table at the reception for breakfast, I am asked without fail each and every time whether I have a reservation or not. I think you can’t really fault people who make reservations for breakfast since the hotel encourages them. If, however, they have an open window table and you don’t have a reservation, you will still be seated there.

I know reservations are a big thing in Japan, even for bars, but did you make a reservation for Gen Yamamoto? I once went there at 4pm on a weekday and was told the bar is full despite being deserted with not a single guest in sight.
Maybe it's you. I don't think I've ever been asked at the Andaz Tavern if I have a reservation for breakfast. If there's a window table open, they'll offer it to me (including the nice corner one or even the private room between the corner table and the buffet area).
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Andaz staffers can be erratic like having two left hands. No surprise everyone has a different experience.
OsakaWino likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Maybe it's you. I don't think I've ever been asked at the Andaz Tavern if I have a reservation for breakfast. If there's a window table open, they'll offer it to me (including the nice corner one or even the private room between the corner table and the buffet area).
They don’t if I have any special requests, but if I ask if any window tables are available (without making a prior reservation) for breakfast, they have asked me if I have a reservation with special window request each and every time. I remember one time the lady even said to me “oh you need a reservation for the window tables!”
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Central90210

Yes - I reserved a few weeks ahead of time.
Central90210 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Got to stay for one night on P+C reservation two weekends ago -- this is probably the nicest hotel I've ever been in - love the room furniture, incredible shower/bath, had an awesome view ... wish I could stay longer, but at the time I booked, they were sold out the rest of the week (I moved tot eh Park Hyatt, which had great service, but not as nice)
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:02 pm

miserable service

Why do people like this place over Park Hyatt? Miserable service (I thought in Japan it is normal to serve with a smile), horribly small breakfaat buffet where food is not replaced quickly when it is gone (many things empty)
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why do people like this place over Park Hyatt? Miserable service (I thought in Japan it is normal to serve with a smile), horribly small breakfaat buffet where food is not replaced quickly when it is gone (many things empty)
Most likely a very, very long con designed to deceived you.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Most likely a very, very long con designed to deceived you.
If only the world revolved around me.

It seems people who do not have top tier status may want Andaz, or if they get the base room at PH. Andaz does not treat globalists well compared to PH.

I guess the wood does not impress me. Understated would be PH Zurich, where service is different, maybe less formal, but more hospitable and thoughtful
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
It's not Thailand - the land of smiles. No one has ever been openly hostile or rude to me at Andaz. Tell them what you want and have they bring it for you if it's out. One word to the manager or Director of F&B and you'd be sitting pretty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.