Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I think the Andaz pool facilities are better than PHT, and the gym is comparative. But no spa in Tokyo is on the level of PHT, not even MO or Aman.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:06 pm

Looks like from what I've seen the phones they give you aren't very worthwhile? Can they be used solely as a gps basically? Just need a way to be able to input a location and get a means of getting there, I will pay for the international data package on my phone if I have to but would love to save the money. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - it's a Handy phone, but seems more limited than the Handy at the GH Hong Kong, which acted as a Wifi hotspot anywhere in HK. That one was great. This Andaz one is very limited.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Originally Posted by kaplanj23
Looks like from what I've seen the phones they give you aren't very worthwhile? Can they be used solely as a gps basically? Just need a way to be able to input a location and get a means of getting there, I will pay for the international data package on my phone if I have to but would love to save the money. Thanks!
Have you used pocket wifi? I use it every time I go to Japan, even if just staying in Tokyo. I pick it up at the airport (but they can also have it ready for pick up at your hotel), and just drop it off at the airport in the envelope they provide.
Probably my number 1 tip for japan travel.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you have a specific brand you use?

Every time I look at those, I find it's much cheaper to just pay for international service on my cell (not to mention, much more convenient). Granted, I have T-Mobile, so slow international roaming is free, and 1 GB costs $20US for 10 days.

But those Mifis I see for rent are generally around $10US/day. Pricey in comparison to international roaming on really any US carrier at this point. Not sure what the Canadian carriers do.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Have you used pocket wifi? I use it every time I go to Japan, even if just staying in Tokyo. I pick it up at the airport (but they can also have it ready for pick up at your hotel), and just drop it off at the airport in the envelope they provide.
Probably my number 1 tip for japan travel.
Pocket wifi is relatively big to carry around, requires being charged frequently and is also expensive. Much easier and cost effective to buy a 4G SIM card and throw it in your phone, in my opinion.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
Pocket wifi is relatively big to carry around, requires being charged frequently and is also expensive. Much easier and cost effective to buy a 4G SIM card and throw it in your phone, in my opinion.
Would those cards have unlimited data?

The pocket wifi I found to fit easily in a small backpack, and lasted easily the day as long as charged daily, and so easy to have multiple devices connected. Is SIM card cheaper considering you'd need two if travelling with a partner?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Do you have a specific brand you use?

Every time I look at those, I find it's much cheaper to just pay for international service on my cell (not to mention, much more convenient). Granted, I have T-Mobile, so slow international roaming is free, and 1 GB costs $20US for 10 days.

But those Mifis I see for rent are generally around $10US/day. Pricey in comparison to international roaming on really any US carrier at this point. Not sure what the Canadian carriers do.
I simply rent from japan-rail-pass. com, as it worked so smoothly the first time and is reliable, I use it every time.

It starts at 50$ USD I think and I believe it goes up by 3$ per day. The major advantage for me is the unlimited data, the speed, and connecting multiple devices.
I'm especially looking forward to it this time as its the world cup next time I'm in Japan, and I'll need to stream heavy data every morning to catch up on the games

Edit: Don't get started on roaming charges for Canadian carriers. Its horrendous. I've incurred exorbitant charges just at stop overs at US airports without free wifi to simply answer a text, or update a flight or light email. Canadian carriers need to improve
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by YVRYEGYVR
Would those cards have unlimited data?

The pocket wifi I found to fit easily in a small backpack, and lasted easily the day as long as charged daily, and so easy to have multiple devices connected. Is SIM card cheaper considering you'd need two if travelling with a partner?
I'm not sure why one would require unlimited data when wifi is presumably free at your hotel(s)?
I prefer to travel light and rarely carry a backpack on the go so I'd rather not add an extra devices that weigh me down and the pocket wifi is not exactly a light device.

As to your question about it being cheaper, I've found it to be cheaper when traveling for 2 over the course a week but YMMV.. I usually opt for a small plan (1GB) mainly for directions, while my SO opts for a higher so she can use Instagram etc on the trains. Not to mention you can just toss the SIM when done and don't have to worry about being liable or returning an expensive device.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure why one would require unlimited data when wifi is presumably free at your hotel(s)?
I prefer to travel light and rarely carry a backpack on the go so I'd rather not add an extra devices that weigh me down and the pocket wifi is not exactly a light device.

As to your question about it being cheaper, I've found it to be cheaper when traveling for 2 over the course a week but YMMV.. I usually opt for a small plan (1GB) mainly for directions, while my SO opts for a higher so she can use Instagram etc on the trains. Not to mention you can just toss the SIM when done and don't have to worry about being liable or returning an expensive device.
The cost and inconvenience of a SIM is lower than just buying 1 GB of international roaming from your regular cell provider?
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:01 pm

The cost and inconvenience of a SIM is lower than just buying 1 GB of international roaming from your regular cell provider?
What inconvenience? Total time to buy & activate the SIM is probably under 3 minutes.
My provider already gives me free 2G access throughout Japan so I don't even need the SIM but I will happily pay ~2,500 yen for a week of 4G data.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:16 pm

Nice to know there are many options.

Yes wifi is free at the hotel, but during the day when out and about, and on trains, it is a life saver. If I didn't travel with a backpack of briefcase, then yes the pocket wifi would be sizeable, but it is definitely smaller than many smart phones people carry around nowadays! Maybe slightly heavier, but better dimensions for sure.
Also when travelling, I typically have an ipad and laptop, and wife has her own phone and laptop.
1 Gb is not a lot of data imo, google maps, listening to podcasts/ steaming news on the go, eats it up so fast.
And again... for the world cup starting soon... I don't want to worry about any data limits at all.
invalyd likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What inconvenience? Total time to buy & activate the SIM is probably under 3 minutes.
My provider already gives me free 2G access throughout Japan so I don't even need the SIM but I will happily pay ~2,500 yen for a week of 4G data.
What provider?

Additional inconvenience in lack of phone number for voice and text messages.
nollbit likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:26 pm

What provider?

Additional inconvenience in lack of phone number for voice and text messages.
TMobile
98% of my conversations take place on iMessage/WhatsApp which is not affected by the number change and you can check your voicemail easily, or just swap out your SIM card as needed.

Pocket wifi is certainly not a bad solution... I am just saying there are many options and SIM card is my personal preference.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And you don't just go for the $20/1GB T-Mobile high-speed option? What's better about the SIM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.