Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Maybe you should re-read the rules.

Per WoH T&C, Explorists are entitled to best available non-suite room.

At Andaz Tokyo that is the same upgrade that Globs are entitled to, although presumably, and rightly so, they give preference to upgrading Globs.
Sorry, I was confusing it with the "preferred" room within the category that was reserved.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Well, if the various reports are true, then you are right that they can be rather stingy with upgrades to a Large room for stays longer than 1 or 2 nights, even when availability is showing. Although some frequent guests have reported better luck with upgrades.

So in most cases a Glob, and also probably an Explo as well, will get upgraded to a View room when booking a standard room, but is likely to just get the View room if that is what was booked.

While I don't see it ever happening, I have long wished that it was possible to apply a TSU for a non-suite upgrade at properties that do not allow it to be used for a suite, or when a suite is not available. I imagine that a lot of Globs would be interested in using a TSU for a Large room here if that was possible.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Andaz doesn't have a club lounge either.
Nobody has claimed that it does. Hailstorm said

The only places in Tokyo where you can use it are Hyatt Regency Tokyo and Grand Hyatt Tokyo.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Andaz doesn't have a club lounge either.
I don't expect the upcoming Hyatt Centric Ginza or Hyatt Place Tokyo Bay hotels to have one either.

Your next chance for a new place in the vicinity of Tokyo to use an Explorist cert will be whenever Hyatt Regency Yokohama opens. Hopefully sometime in 2019.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:01 am

Andaz Concierge Contact

Hello,

I've tried reaching out to [email protected] and I have yet to receive a response; PH's concierge responded within a couple of hours.

Can I PM someone for Ms. Andrea Lobo's contact e-mail at Andaz Tokyo?

I really appreciate your time, thank you!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Just had a 2 night stay here in a Large Tower King room. This was the best room I have ever stayed in. Absolutely fantastic in every way.

However, the service was really lacking here. We came from the HR Kyoto prior to this stay and the service difference was striking. We had a wait at check-in, minimal assistance with bags, and just a general nonchalant attitude from the staff the entire time.

This compared to the HR Kyoto where we were always welcomed by the staff and felt any assistance was very easy to come by and that staff was eager to help with anything.

If this hotel could transplant the HR Kyoto staff into the Andaz Tokyo they'd have the perfect hotel.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nehawk
Just had a 2 night stay here in a Large Tower King room. This was the best room I have ever stayed in. Absolutely fantastic in every way.

However, the service was really lacking here. We came from the HR Kyoto prior to this stay and the service difference was striking. We had a wait at check-in, minimal assistance with bags, and just a general nonchalant attitude from the staff the entire time.

This compared to the HR Kyoto where we were always welcomed by the staff and felt any assistance was very easy to come by and that staff was eager to help with anything.

If this hotel could transplant the HR Kyoto staff into the Andaz Tokyo they'd have the perfect hotel.
It's kind of the Andaz brand's MO (casual).
Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As Aventine pointed out, your issue is with the Andaz concept itself, not with the staff's ability to execute.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:44 pm

I disagree. I read through the Andaz brand website. I wouldn't describe what we encountered as "a friendly attitude and warm, personal service"

This also wasn't my first Andaz stay so I'm familiar with the brand's approach to service.

http://hyattdevelopment.com/brands/andaz/

Last edited by Nehawk; Sep 3, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I disagree. I read through the Andaz brand website. I wouldn't describe what we encountered as "a friendly attitude and warm, personal service"

http://hyattdevelopment.com/brands/andaz/
Have you been to an Andaz that does, in your opinion, meet those standards?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Have you been to an Andaz that does, in your opinion, meet those standards?
I thought the Andaz Napa Valley fit the brand description well in terms of service.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Maybe you should re-read the rules.

Per WoH T&C, Explorists are entitled to best available non-suite room.

At Andaz Tokyo that is the same upgrade that Globs are entitled to, although presumably, and rightly so, they give preference to upgrading Globs.
I'll never get over how amusing it is that top tier members are now referred to as "Globs"

Discoverist and Explorist are almost as ridiculous as "Glob"
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I'll never get over how amusing it is that top tier members are now referred to as "Globs"

Discoverist and Explorist are almost as ridiculous as "Glob"
At least "Globalist" is an actual, pre-existing word.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
At least "Globalist" is an actual, pre-existing word.
The abbreviation glob is also a pre-existing word. It just screams respect as the tier for esteemed regular guests!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
The abbreviation glob is also a pre-existing word. It just screams respect as the tier for esteemed regular guests!
Not that I want to defend WoH tier names, but "plat" doesn't really scream respect either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.