Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hur88
Anyone know why "Andaz King" is available under Standard Rate but no rooms are available for points redemption?
Looking at 5/29-5/30.

Is this a case where I have to call Hyatt?
Yup. Sadly, this is not terribly unusual.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Also something that is easily rectified by calling....
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Looks like we have minimum night restrictions in place for April. I was able to price out awards for 3 days but one day nights are blacked out...
Is this 100% allowed under HGP rules or a bit shady?
Old Feb 4, 2017, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Central90210
Is this 100% allowed under HGP rules or a bit shady?
It's shady but HGP doesn't enforce its rules so properties get away with it. Andaz Maui is the worst offender.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's shady but HGP doesn't enforce its rules so properties get away with it. Andaz Maui is the worst offender.
Does this mean I can easily get a room on full points for a night during these periods simply by calling HGP to bypass the property specific restrictions, assuming standard rooms are available?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Central90210
Does this mean I can easily get a room on full points for a night during these periods simply by calling HGP to bypass the property specific restrictions, assuming standard rooms are available?
You can try. Good luck.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

If the availability is there for the standard rate for the king/twin rooms you should have no problems.... the games properties normally play is making those basic rooms available at specific rate plans.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Something else shady going on here. Not a single Andaz base room available between 3/21 to 4/20. My guess is that they are blocking redemptions during sakura season. Rates on the Bay/Tower/Park rooms are identical and outrageous, especially during the predicted peak week (April 2-10) - JPY 96000... I'm sure availability will potentially open up closer in (or not). Annoying. PHT seems to be doing the same thing, but GHT has some availability.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Something else shady going on here. Not a single Andaz base room available between 3/21 to 4/20. My guess is that they are blocking redemptions during sakura season. Rates on the Bay/Tower/Park rooms are identical and outrageous, especially during the predicted peak week (April 2-10) - JPY 96000... I'm sure availability will potentially open up closer in (or not). Annoying. PHT seems to be doing the same thing, but GHT has some availability.
Probably doing what Andaz Maui does and imposing minimum stay requirements exclusively on the base rooms.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
My guess is that they are blocking redemptions during sakura season. I'm sure availability will potentially open up closer in (or not). Annoying. PHT seems to be doing the same thing, but GHT has some availability.
Pretty common practice in Japan during peak season, but not unheard of to be sold-out 2 months in advance.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Cherry blossom time is a big deal around Tokyo.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Looks like we have minimum night restrictions in place for April. I was able to price out awards for 3 days but one day nights are blacked out...
Book the 3 and then call HGP to have it adjusted to 2 or 1. Not ideal, but it works.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kacee
Probably doing what Andaz Maui does and imposing minimum stay requirements exclusively on the base rooms.
This is exactly what they are doing. Thanks for the tip. Other than the first week of April, booking 4 nights magically shows availability for the base room during the other three weeks I had mentioned.

Originally Posted by aradisc
Book the 3 and then call HGP to have it adjusted to 2 or 1. Not ideal, but it works.
Will give that a shot, thanks.
Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium + LT Gold
Stayed here last October on a free night certificate, planning to spend 4 more nights early March on points. Last time during check in I asked for a Tokyo Tower view room but was told there would be a 5500/night up charge. I then argued that being platinum I should be given that room as an upgrade since 1). the room is available, 2). since its the next tier above what I reserved and it should be part the plat benefit. He went back and gave me the tower view room at no charge.

I know I probably got lucky last time and the chance of this happening again is low. Especially on 4 nights. As a lowly platinum Discoverist, what can I expect (reasonably) on my upcoming stay? Would it be too much to ask for the tower view room again?
Old Feb 19, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by festriaqua
Stayed here last October on a free night certificate, planning to spend 4 more nights early March on points. Last time during check in I asked for a Tokyo Tower view room but was told there would be a 5500/night up charge. I then argued that being platinum I should be given that room as an upgrade since 1). the room is available, 2). since its the next tier above what I reserved and it should be part the plat benefit. He went back and gave me the tower view room at no charge.

I know I probably got lucky last time and the chance of this happening again is low. Especially on 4 nights. As a lowly platinum Discoverist, what can I expect (reasonably) on my upcoming stay? Would it be too much to ask for the tower view room again?
Tower View is a higher room category, and Plat/Disc aren't entitled to upgrades IIRC, only better rooms of the same category.

You can ask for anything but it seems disingenuous to tell a front desk person that you're entitled to an upgrade as a Plat/Disc. Under WOH, Exp seems to get upgrade to available nonclub/nonsuite rooms, but not Disc IIRC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.