Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by hailstorm
They (PH) failed to get me into Club 33.
Bohoo. My heart bleeds for you.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
It's definitely not a concierge problem. I received the following response from PH concierge with regards to booking Yoshitake a few months ago. They were able to book Jiro for me instead.

Just for your information, Yoshitake open for dinner time only and now they tends to take reservation from their local repeaters only.
We will try first but to be honest, we never succeed making reservation last 6 months.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
I just wanted to say here that Andaz Tokyo is far superior to PH. My wife and I stayed at both on a recent trip, because there appeared to be so much debate between it and PH. Andaz, in addition to being cheaper was far superior in every aspect, especially the wonderful wonderful breakfasts and pool area. I don't understand how there can even be a debate.
For us, there is no question Andaz will be our preferred place next time in Tokyo!
SNA_Flyer and MikeFromTokyo like this.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
It's definitely not a concierge problem. I received the following response from PH concierge with regards to booking Yoshitake a few months ago. They were able to book Jiro for me instead.
Thanks, we have Sushisho Masa booked on a different day so not too torn up. We are going to go with Ginza Kitafuku instead of Yoshitake. Next time...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by invalyd
That’s not the fault of the Concierge. It’s impressive that they were able to book Sukiyabashi Jiro (assuming Honten), as they do not liberally take hotel concierge reservations by any means.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Talking

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

That’s not the fault of the Concierge. It’s impressive that they were able to book Sukiyabashi Jiro (assuming Honten), as they do not liberally take hotel concierge reservations by any means.
Interesting, I've heard of many people successfully booking the Ginza location through PH concierge. Great experience, we were served by Jiro himself on his 92nd birthday and he even took a photo with us.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by Central90210
Let me give it a try and report back. I was wondering if I could skip getting a SIM and use this exclusively.
The Sharp phone is basically useless as a personal hotspot (I.e. doesn’t work at all). I guess you can use the phone itself and access the internet via the built in browser, but it is very slow and loaded with crap that makes using the phone a very inferior experience.

I was two minutes away from the hotel when I realized it doesn’t work as a personal hotspot. I made a bee line back to the hotel and asked the bell staff to send it back to my room.

On a side note, my favorite bartender, Abe San, at the Tavern Lounge apparently has left the hotel last month and moved to the bar at Prince Gallery. Kind of ironic as I was staying there prior to Andaz and I didn’t see him at all at the bar! The new bartender, from the IC, is not as good as Abe San, at least in making our cocktails.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The Sharp phone is basically useless as a personal hotspot (I.e. doesn’t work at all). I guess you can use the phone itself and access the internet via the built in browser, but it is very slow and loaded with crap that makes using the phone a very inferior experience.

I was two minutes away from the hotel when I realized it doesn’t work as a personal hotspot. I made a bee line back to the hotel and asked the bell staff to send it back to my room.

On a side note, my favorite bartender, Abe San, at the Tavern Lounge apparently has left the hotel last month and moved to the bar at Prince Gallery. Kind of ironic as I was staying there prior to Andaz and I didn’t see him at all at the bar! The new bartender, from the IC, is not as good as Abe San, at least in making our cocktails.
I didn't think it would work as a hotspot. Sucks.
I'm sure that new bartender will get better with time. Takes some time to get acclimatized to the Andaz way.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 5:28 am

One of the long time bartenders at Rooftop Bar was previously at IC Mixx Bar, and is very talented. As a long time local resident, I used to follow bartenders and management when they moved around to different hotels. It’s a good way to experience new places and always get the best service.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

One of the long time bartenders at Rooftop Bar was previously at IC Mixx Bar, and is very talented. As a long time local resident, I used to follow bartenders and management when they moved around to different hotels. It’s a good way to experience new places and always get the best service.
I used to go to the Rooftop Bar, which has very nice cocktails as well, but have preferred the Tavern Lounge as it was more relaxing and laid back, especially nice after a long day of walking. The Rooftop Bar was not relaxing enough, and in winter, too cold for us. Is the long time bartender at the Rooftop Bar still here in Andaz?

Apart from the usual suspects like Bar High Five and Gen Yamamot, as a local, what other hotel bars do you patronize? I liked the music and ambiance of the NYB, but their cocktails are not good at all and at times extortionate (they once tried to charge me ¥4400 for a Maker’s Mark Old Fashioned).

On a side note, Andaz needs to get their act together with regards to breakfast reservations. This is the second time my reservation for a corner window table at breakfast was lost - I even made the reservation in person with the manager the day before during breakfast, to which the guy even said no problem all taken care of.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used to go to the Rooftop Bar, which has very nice cocktails as well, but have preferred the Tavern Lounge as it was more relaxing and laid back, especially nice after a long day of walking. The Rooftop Bar was not relaxing enough, and in winter, too cold for us. Is the long time bartender at the Rooftop Bar still here in Andaz?

Apart from the usual suspects like Bar High Five and Gen Yamamot, as a local, what other hotel bars do you patronize? I liked the music and ambiance of the NYB, but their cocktails are not good at all and at times extortionate (they once tried to charge me ¥4400 for a Maker’s Mark Old Fashioned).

On a side note, Andaz needs to get their act together with regards to breakfast reservations. This is the second time my reservation for a corner window table at breakfast was lost - I even made the reservation in person with the manager the day before during breakfast, to which the guy even said no problem all taken care of.
Tell Allistar and it'll be done for sure.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 6:50 am

Mr. Saito should still be there unless he has recently moved. He was there on my last stay.

When in Tokyo I frequent the Oak Door (now temporarily closed), Maduro, Four Seasons Marunouchi, Trader Vic’s at the New Otani, R2 (Roppongi), and the Ritz-Carlton. All of these are very different, but for me are enjoyable for different reasons. Some are very quiet places, while R2 and Oak Door can be crowded on busy nights.
​​
Central90210 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
my reservation for a corner window table at breakfast was lost.

WOW! GEE! I hope you took the time to tell everyone who they were dealing with!
invalyd likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
WOW! GEE! I hope you took the time to tell everyone who they were dealing with!
It wasn’t too big of a deal, but I just wanted to share this fact as the exact same thing happened to me twice in my stay. The staff wasn’t too helpful either, uttering something along the lines of “I’m not sure why but I can’t find your booking and there’s nothing I can do.”
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It wasn’t too big of a deal, but I just wanted to share this fact as the exact same thing happened to me twice in my stay. The staff wasn’t too helpful either, uttering something along the lines of “I’m not sure why but I can’t find your booking and there’s nothing I can do.”
I think if a guest asks for it and it's open then it should be given. Perfectly reasonable. Not a case of DYKWIA.
Central90210 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.