Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
It's not Thailand - the land of smiles. No one has ever been openly hostile or rude to me at Andaz. Tell them what you want and have they bring it for you if it's out. One word to the manager or Director of F&B and you'd be sitting pretty.
It is also not America, where you can tell the service personnel hate their jobs/lives. The waitress walked around with a scowl on her face, when organizing the tables (as close to a scowl as I've ever seen in Japan).
Well, at least that hasn't been my experience in most places in Japan (if you go to 7-11 at night you can see the employees hating their lives, and kicking around boxes).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
It is also not America, where you can tell the service personnel hate their jobs/lives. The waitress walked around with a scowl on her face, when organizing the tables (as close to a scowl as I've ever seen in Japan).
Well, at least that hasn't been my experience in most places in Japan (if you go to 7-11 at night you can see the employees hating their lives, and kicking around boxes).
I definitely didn’t experience something as drastic as you, but their F&B service is definitely the weakest link of the hotel, as seen from my previous posts. Their director of F&B, is rather unresponsive at times and have ignored my emails/ post-stay surveys.

Rest of the hotel, though, is solid five stars, both hardware and software.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Central90210

I definitely didn’t experience something as drastic as you, but their F&B service is definitely the weakest link of the hotel, as seen from my previous posts. Their director of F&B, is rather unresponsive at times and have ignored my emails/ post-stay surveys.

That's sad to hear. They do pride themselves on being a top Tokyo hotel F&B destination with their creative outlets, designs and sets.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's sad to hear. They do pride themselves on being a top Tokyo hotel F&B destination with their creative outlets, designs and sets.

I encountered one of these waitresses years ago. Simply ignored seating me. I was pissed and would have thought it'd be better now.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:27 pm

Pastry shop is great. The Sushi is a spectacular rip-off. BeBub burgers are awful. Tavern is what it is. Agree that F&B is weakest link.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that breakfast is pretty excellent. Maybe you have to like what they serve - I like pretty much exactly what they serve.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
Why do people like this place over Park Hyatt? Miserable service (I thought in Japan it is normal to serve with a smile), horribly small breakfaat buffet where food is not replaced quickly when it is gone (many things empty)
i stayed here a few times when it just opened for less than a year. Even then service was great and I remember breakfast spread was great but on weekend it was very crowded.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by vudoosj
i stayed here a few times when it just opened for less than a year. Even then service was great and I remember breakfast spread was great but on weekend it was very crowded.
When you say great, are you comparing to other Japanese hotels? Even mid-range hotels have a fantastic spread. One hotel I stayed near Kansai Airport had a spread covering three rows, like a regular buffet. Here they have a fruit/juice section, some miso soup, some small Japanese dishes, then regular Western food that isn't great (at least for an American-the bacon is neither thick nor crisp. At least do one thing well). Scrambled eggs look like the mass-produced junk you get in a HyattPlace in America.
Just reminds me of the buffets in Asia where things run out quickly and it is all about massive quantities of food, with no regards to quality (specifically frequented by a specific nationality of people).
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:52 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by creative, but I saw eel fried rice which I have never seen before. Other than that, standard breakfast fare, maybe lower quality. Kyoto actually has some quite nice fusion Japanese food, like buckwheat tacos in a pop-up restaurant by Honke Owariya.

I encountered one of these waitresses years ago. Simply ignored seating me. I was pissed and would have thought it'd be better now.
Some front desk people cannot be bothered to help customers with luggage (like the man when we checked-in yesterday), while I just saw a lady struggling with 2 large suitcases for a customer. I'd say the staff here seem snooty without reason to be. PH is much classier.

I do wonder if a lot of the staff here aren't Japanese, like the guy who checked us in seemed Chinese. At PH they seemed all Japanese, at least the ones we encountered, and seem to have better English as well (even doormen).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what you mean by creative, but I saw eel fried rice which I have never seen before. Other than that, standard breakfast fare, maybe lower quality. Kyoto actually has some quite nice fusion Japanese food, like buckwheat tacos in a pop-up restaurant by Honke Owariya.

Some front desk people cannot be bothered to help customers with luggage (like the man when we checked-in yesterday), while I just saw a lady struggling with 2 large suitcases for a customer. I'd say the staff here seem snooty without reason to be. PH is much classier.

I do wonder if a lot of the staff here aren't Japanese, like the guy who checked us in seemed Chinese. At PH they seemed all Japanese, at least the ones we encountered, and seem to have better English as well (even doormen).
The breakfast is probably the poorest of all the 5 stars out there. It was much better under Arnaud and Asada-san. I think they've cut some corners now and the space is much too small for a full house on weekends.
Andaz Tavern is quite creative for lunch and dinner. The Pastry shop made an interesting fashion chocolate set for Valentine's. Bebu is always doing some sort of ethnic night. I found their burgers good during the opening. Maybe things changed.

They do have a multi-ethnic staff. Some Taiwanese, Koreans, etc among the front end staff. I don't want to blame foreign staff for bad service but I have noticed they are very nonchalant in engaging people in the lobby. It's like if they don't receive prior notice from.the ground floor then they don't respond.

I agree that PH is much more attentive and doting than Andaz. They're sharp and always willing to help.

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 26, 2018 at 6:17 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:25 am

Did you by any chance arrive on foot via the street entrance? Whenever I arrive from the street, no one will help with my bags as no bell staff are stationed at the street entrance nor the foyer between the lift lobby and drive way. Not making any excuses for them, just my observation and experience.

Baggage handling and the overall arrival experience are much much better and refined at the PH than Andaz, I definitely agree. The fact that PH bell staff can magically say “welcome Mr/ Ms XX” when opening the cab doors even on my first stay still blows me away to this day (I have removed all baggage tags from my luggage).

The breakfast is probably the poorest of all the 5 stars out there. It was much better under Arnaud and Asada-san. I think they've cut some corners now and the space is much too small for a full house on weekends.
I actually think the food at breakfast is not bad at all, especially the Japanese selection (the fish from the buffet was even better than the fish main in Prince Gallery’s made to order Japanese breakfast), although the Nutella French toast has gone downhill (and dry) lately and the “freshly squeezed” OJ is a joke and tastes more like water than OJ.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you by any chance arrive on foot via the street entrance? Whenever I arrive from the street, no one will help with my bags as no bell staff are stationed at the street entrance nor the foyer between the lift lobby and drive way. Not making any excuses for them, just my observation and experience.

Baggage handling and the overall arrival experience are much much better and refined at the PH than Andaz, I definitely agree. The fact that PH bell staff can magically say “welcome Mr/ Ms XX” when opening the cab doors even on my first stay still blows me away to this day (I have removed all baggage tags from my luggage).

I actually think the food at breakfast is not bad at all, especially the Japanese selection (the fish from the buffet was even better than the fish main in Prince Gallery’s made to order Japanese breakfast), although the Nutella French toast has gone downhill (and dry) lately and the “freshly squeezed” OJ is a joke and tastes more like water than OJ.
I also like the days when they have mero as the daily fish selection at Andaz. They stopped cooking with care in the mornings.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA XP, BA G, AS 100K, Hyatt G
When you say great, are you comparing to other Japanese hotels?
My references would be PHT, GHT, HRT and HR Hakone. Though it has been a few years since I last visited the Andaz Tokyo so my memory of the breakfast there is a bit hazy, but I think the breakfast quality would be comparable to GHT or Hakone if not better. Otherwise I would not have re-visited as breakfast is a big part of my decision to visit or stay-away. Whether Andaz F&B have gone down since that I cannot make a comment on.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:39 pm

Yup, by foot. But one would expect the front desk attendant to grab the bag when you arrive to check-in, no?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:03 am

Yup, by foot. But one would expect the front desk attendant to grab the bag when you arrive to check-in, no?
If I wanted the bags taken care of, I would drop them off at the ground floor entrance - the front desk probably assume that you have your bags with you because you specifically wanted to keep them with you (and I think that would be a reasonable assumption).

Of course, they should still ask whether you want assistance with the bags in an ideal world, but I don't think it's a sign of service failure if you have reached the upper floor lobby with your bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.