Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by IndoorCamper
Thank you everyone for your replies, that was quick!

I took a look at the offerings Marriott had for the area, and the good options all seem to be booked up for award travel. The top choices, Courtyard Tokyo Station, Ginza, Prince Gallery, were all unavailable. The Ritz was available, but it would be 400K Bonvoy (8.3K USD, 2 CPP). I can't justify spending my points a great hotel experience when I would be out for most of the day anyway.

I currently have the Westin Tokyo booked for 5 nights with SNA applied(180K Bonvoy, ~2,200 USD, 1.22 CPP). But I'm strongly considering switching to the Hyatt Regency Tokyo for the standard room (60K Hyatt, ~1.5K USD, 2.5 CPP). I was initially concerned about maximizing hotel perks (lounge, bfast and alcohol offerings), but I've begun to reconsider if I want to even eat that much hotel food. It would be foolish to over-rely on the hotel food options when there's great cuisine nearby. Fingers crossed for a decent upgrade at the Hyatt. Too bad SNA aren't transferable between programs haha

Thanks for the pics, I missed those somehow.
Remember that one Hyatt point is not the same as one Hyatt point. Moreover, to me, 5000 Hyatt points would be a lot to pay for breakfast, although of course it depends on the number of people, I consider the Westin breakfast (which can be either the big buffet in the restaurant, which is sometimes crowded, or the lounge buffet) much better than the HR club lounge breakfast, which I found to be disappointing.

Have you considered the LC Prince hotel (NOT PG) near Shinagawa station? Price Gallery is nice, although IMO it's not a great location, but Starriott elites no longer get lounge access there, nor can we use SNAs.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
We are going to Tokyo next year, and I was looking to book the Regency, but the site won't let me book 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) and my Hyatt concierge tells me that means I can't book the hotel, not even a suite. No roll-aways etc.

Does anyone have different experiences here? The rooms, especially the suites seems large enough - is it just a policy thing per hotel?

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hilmar
We are going to Tokyo next year, and I was looking to book the Regency, but the site won't let me book 4 people (2 adults, 2 kids) and my Hyatt concierge tells me that means I can't book the hotel, not even a suite. No roll-aways etc.

Does anyone have different experiences here? The rooms, especially the suites seems large enough - is it just a policy thing per hotel?

Thanks!
We booked two rooms for our family of 5, one with 2 “adults” (teenagers) and 1 child. Not sure they will do 4 total, but perhaps depends on age of children. In any case, you have to get the upgraded room (they called it room with view) not the standard room. And they do have a rollaway; we had one. I think it’s a $30 charge or so. I don’t think you can do 4 per room though. They are very responsive via email. I’d suggest just asking them directly.

One other option, which we’ve done: get one room on regular rate and one “family rate” second room for kids <12 at about 50% off. This can be done by calling regular Hyatt number (not the hotel itself, though maybe they can do it too).
Old Oct 12, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
We booked two rooms for our family of 5, one with 2 “adults” (teenagers) and 1 child. Not sure they will do 4 total, but perhaps depends on age of children. In any case, you have to get the upgraded room (they called it room with view) not the standard room. And they do have a rollaway; we had one. I think it’s a $30 charge or so. I don’t think you can do 4 per room though. They are very responsive via email. I’d suggest just asking them directly.

One other option, which we’ve done: get one room on regular rate and one “family rate” second room for kids <12 at about 50% off. This can be done by calling regular Hyatt number (not the hotel itself, though maybe they can do it too).
Great tips, I'll ask them about both. Thanks much!
Old Oct 12, 2019, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to tokyo hyatts thread wiki - not sure if still current...:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids <12 yoa in base room. They clear state "Guests at this location are considered children between the ages of 0 and 12. Any guest 13 years of age or older will be considered an adult and will be subject to adult pricing."
i stayed there with two kids in a suite but kids were 2 yo back then..
i have atrium suite booked this time and plan to either email them or just show up...

Last edited by azepine00; Oct 12, 2019 at 11:07 pm
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by azepine00
According to tokyo hyatts thread wiki - not sure if still current...:

i stayed there with two kids in a suite but kids were 2 yo back then..
i have atrium suite booked this time and plan to either email them or just show up...
Just showing up with more people is always a bad idea, especially in places like Japan that enforce strict occupancy limits and where you cannot just "sneak" the extra people into the hotel.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Just showing up with more people is always a bad idea, especially in places like Japan that enforce strict occupancy limits and where you cannot just "sneak" the extra people into the hotel.
With a suite booked i dont see 2+2 in japan as a concern. Standard room would be a different story..
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
With a suite booked i dont see 2+2 in japan as a concern. Standard room would be a different story..
Even with a confirmed suite, you can't violate occupancy limits or fail to register guests staying in the room.
hailstorm and OsakaWino like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: QF PL (OW Emerald) Lifetime Gold; HGP Explorist; SPG Gold; HH Diamond
We stayed in early Jan this year. As a globalist, we had two std rooms and club access. The std room was typical for tokyo (reasonably tight), but it easily catered for 3 kids with the extra rollaway. Hotel rooms are quite dated. Club access was granted for all 5 of us. Breakfast is great, but evening canapes leave a lot to be desired - no way to make even a light dinner of it (unlike the tokyo GH, which has really good evening canapes).
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even with a confirmed suite, you can't violate occupancy limits or fail to register guests staying in the room.
Having spent hundreds of nights with 2 kids all over they world (and many were not bookable as 2+2) I am fairly certain that a suite in Tokyo will serve the purpose. It worked for us at HR in the past. "fail to register guests" was not suggested by anyone on this thread so let's not go OT.
Further comments are available in Help with choosing a Hyatt in Tokyo (with toddlers)
as well as in numerous trip reports for GH and PH you can look up on the web.
hilmar likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:26 am

Had a pleasant stay there about 2 weeks ago. I am an Explorist and was upgraded (without asking) from King with Club Access (I used Club passes after booking with awards), to Deluxe King with View. The 21st floor views of the skyline and Chuo Park below were so nice, I actually decided against going to any observatories during this trip (even though the Govt Metro building was next door). Another pleasant surprise: I was granted Club Access for my entire 5 night stay, even though my first night was booked with a Cat 1-4 cert, and nights 2-5 were with points. The clerk even mentioned that you're not supposed to get Club Access with free night stays, but they wanted to gift it to me, so I took it. Only went up for cocktail hours that first night. It was busy but not full. Mostly tourists or business travelers, as I probably hear more English in that area than I did anywhere else during my time in Japan. I enjoyed the food offerings here, as well as during breakfast. They had western and Japanese style buffets, and switched a few items up each day.

The room seemed large from my expectations of reading reviews about Tokyo rooms. Honestly did not feel any more cramped than several US rooms from similar level hotels. The toilet was separate from the main bathroom. In the main bathroom, large tub and separate shower stall with closing glass doors (this came in handy to steam out wrinkles in clothes, as I could not find an iron in the room). I think the concerns about a stiff bed are valid, although I was still able to enjoy it. My wife, however, said it didn't give her the best sleep (especially coming from the Ritz Carlton Kyoto beforehand, which had a much softer and nicer bed).

7-Eleven below the hotel was a god send. I loved the snack options and would load up each day to try something new. The hotel's shuttle to Shinjuku Station was also convenient, but it does stop running at 10:00pm. We did use the Tochomae Station that's across the street once, but it is a non-JR line. Not wanting to deal with luggage on our departure, we opted for the airport bus, I think roughly 6000 yen for TWO (corrected). The trip is advertised to take 2 hours + traffic, but we took the 6:00am one and it was barely 90 minutes to NRT. Another service I don't see often talked about is a local laundry service with pick up options called Wash & Fold. The concierge is familiar with the company. Instead of being fleeced by washing at the hotel, you can buy a bag (500 yen) and fill it up for 3000 yen, and have your laundry returned. They warned it could take up to 2 business days, but I had my clothes washed, folded, and returned to me in 24 hours. It's quite a sizable bag, as it could hold 4 days of clothes for me, and still had a little room.

The staff was polite across the board, from the welcome tour I got of my room, to room service, to everyone else in between. I think the high standard of customer service in Japan will spoil me going forward.

Would gladly return to this hotel, and/or the adjacent Hilton Tokyo. I really enjoyed Shinjuku, and barely got to explore it. The access to train stations can't really be beat either, unless I stay closer to Tokyo Station.

Last edited by ne0ven0m; Oct 23, 2019 at 9:44 am
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
Had a pleasant stay there about 2 weeks ago. I am an Explorist and was upgraded (without asking) from King with Club Access (I used Club passes after booking with awards), to Deluxe King with View. The 21st floor views of the skyline and Chuo Park below were so nice, I actually decided against going to any observatories during this trip (even though the Govt Metro building was next door). Another pleasant surprise: I was granted Club Access for my entire 5 night stay, even though my first night was booked with a Cat 1-4 cert, and nights 2-5 were with points. The clerk even mentioned that you're not supposed to get Club Access with free night stays, but they wanted to gift it to me, so I took it. Only went up for cocktail hours that first night. It was busy but not full. Mostly tourists or business travelers, as I probably hear more English in that area than I did anywhere else during my time in Japan. I enjoyed the food offerings here, as well as during breakfast. They had western and Japanese style buffets, and switched a few items up each day.

The room seemed large from my expectations of reading reviews about Tokyo rooms. Honestly did not feel any more cramped than several US rooms from similar level hotels. The toilet was separate from the main bathroom. In the main bathroom, large tub and separate shower stall with closing glass doors (this came in handy to steam out wrinkles in clothes, as I could not find an iron in the room). I think the concerns about a stiff bed are valid, although I was still able to enjoy it. My wife, however, said it didn't give her the best sleep (especially coming from the Ritz Carlton Kyoto beforehand, which had a much softer and nicer bed).

7-Eleven below the hotel was a god send. I loved the snack options and would load up each day to try something new. The hotel's shuttle to Shinjuku Station was also convenient, but it does stop running at 10:00pm. We did use the Tochomae Station that's across the street once, but it is a non-JR line. Not wanting to deal with luggage on our departure, we opted for the airport bus, I think roughly 6000 yen a person. The trip is advertised to take 2 hours + traffic, but we took the 6:00am one and it was barely 90 minutes to NRT. Another service I don't see often talked about is a local laundry service with pick up options called Wash & Fold. The concierge is familiar with the company. Instead of being fleeced by washing at the hotel, you can buy a bag (500 yen) and fill it up for 3000 yen, and have your laundry returned. They warned it could take up to 2 business days, but I had my clothes washed, folded, and returned to me in 24 hours. It's quite a sizable bag, as it could hold 4 days of clothes for me, and still had a little room.

The staff was polite across the board, from the welcome tour I got of my room, to room service, to everyone else in between. I think the high standard of customer service in Japan will spoil me going forward.

Would gladly return to this hotel, and/or the adjacent Hilton Tokyo. I really enjoyed Shinjuku, and barely got to explore it. The access to train stations can't really be beat either, unless I stay closer to Tokyo Station.
It should be 6000 yen for two people on the limousine bus.
MSPeconomist and ne0ven0m like this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Yes, the limobus to NRT should be about 3,000 one way per person. For HND IIRC it's 1,350 yen.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Corrected! Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
Another service I don't see often talked about is a local laundry service with pick up options called Wash & Fold. The concierge is familiar with the company. Instead of being fleeced by washing at the hotel, you can buy a bag (500 yen) and fill it up for 3000 yen, and have your laundry returned. They warned it could take up to 2 business days, but I had my clothes washed, folded, and returned to me in 24 hours. It's quite a sizable bag, as it could hold 4 days of clothes for me, and still had a little room.
I've been to this laundry too (either during a stay at PH or HR, can't remember) - I think I found it either here or some other thread like the PHTs or doing laundry in Japan

I decided to take the walk and use the coin laundry myself (Yoyogi location) and have a snack nearby while waiting. Very convenient.
Stgermainparis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.