Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I'm looking for a link or Hyatt reference to the 50% off Breakfast for Platinum's at PHV. I've seen it mentioned in a few places but can't locate an actual Hyatt offering.
It's not a policy per se your best bet rather than an "entitled" approach is walk up smile and politely inquire After they have gone through check in process. I can not tell you how many times I have stood there and overheard someone not so politely or even demanding an upgrade or free breakfast. It is a Diamond Amenity and if you stay 50 nights a year breakfast should be free ! Sorry I was a PLT and someday soon I will taper my business travel off and revert back to PLT.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I'm looking for a link or Hyatt reference to the 50% off Breakfast for Platinum's at PHV. I've seen it mentioned in a few places but can't locate an actual Hyatt offering.
It was a temporary promo specific to the hotel, and not published. Other hotels sometimes do this as well. PH Sydney offered it to plats once when I was there.

But PHV is very generous with these things. Even if the promo is over, you can politely ask if they are still offering it and there is a chance that they will offer you something.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Just got back from a stay ending Sunday. For anyone who goes there when it's hot, apparently they have the air conditioning set so that Americans can't turn the thermostat down to make it comfortable. The trick it to tell the front desk you would like the room to be cooler and they will send a technician to your room to set it so that you can make it cooler. It was 97° (36°) outside Friday night at 9:15 p.m.
Thermostat manipulation at a five star Park Hyatt?!

I would tend to think the system was just malfunctioning in that room. It could not possibly be deliberate on the part of the hotel...at least one would hope not!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Just got back from a stay ending Sunday. For anyone who goes there when it's hot, apparently they have the air conditioning set so that Americans can't turn the thermostat down to make it comfortable. The trick it to tell the front desk you would like the room to be cooler and they will send a technician to your room to set it so that you can make it cooler. It was 97° (36°) outside Friday night at 9:15 p.m.

Other than that (and the usual French Hyatt problems with accounting), everything was wonderful. The friendliest staff of any hotel I've ever been to.
There should be no tricks involved. If I want to turn my room into a cool igloo, then, that should be my choice and prerogative.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:38 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Looking forward to the follow up post: "I burnt down the PH Paris - how many points compensation should I receive as a Diamond member?"
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
Stayed here for four nights earlier this month. Even though extremely hot in Paris during the day, there was no problem with the air con in the suite and I like it very cool much to the the disapproval of my wife!
We were impressed by the all-round outstanding service at the Park Hyatt.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 10:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
It was a temporary promo specific to the hotel, and not published. Other hotels sometimes do this as well. PH Sydney offered it to plats once when I was there.

But PHV is very generous with these things. Even if the promo is over, you can politely ask if they are still offering it and there is a chance that they will offer you something.
Not was, is (this was just a week ago). We got a little card with the key at check-in, explaining the promo, as well as another offering a free glass of Champagne with the first room service order and another offering a free dessert (IIRC) with room service.

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Thermostat manipulation at a five star Park Hyatt?!

I would tend to think the system was just malfunctioning in that room. It could not possibly be deliberate on the part of the hotel...at least one would hope not!
Well, our friends, also staying at the hotel, were advised that they could have a technician come to the room and do this manipulation. They then told us, I asked the front desk, and they said they would send a technician up. He arrived and told me what he had done. Seems like it must have been "malfunctioning" in quite a few rooms.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chad75
Looking forward to the follow up post: "I burnt down the PH Paris - how many points compensation should I receive as a Diamond member?"
Some Like it Hot haha.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Anyone know if you can add a rollaway to the park suite twin room? I have a p+c+dsu stay with 1 night in a park suite twin and 3 nights in a park suite king. I added an extra night to my original reservation and could only confirm the ps twin. HGP said that they couldn't put a rollaway in the room because of fire code, but the website shows that a rollaway is available on request.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Have been looking at TripAdvisor reviews of properties around Europe. Reviews of the last couple of weeks have moaned to high heaven about the lack of air conditioning - especially in luxury hotels. I think - first - it's possible that it's a rarity - even in five star properties - and second - the ones that have it need to tweak it or turn it on in the event. Reminiscent of the 2003 "summer from hell" when we were there. Only just now learned from articles mentioning it that the number who were dying around us was 70,000 - 20,000 in France.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was in Italy in 2003 - Milan area - for 2 weeks working

The heat was so bad that I couldn't sleep hardly at all. I finally got some free time at the end of the stay and went to Rome - to the IHG at the top of the Spanish Steps where they had all the A/C I could have wanted.

Still, I was so sleep deprived I actually fell asleep while I was eating on the way home.

Never again - if the hotel doesn't have adjustable A/C I simply won't stay there in the summer.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
Have been looking at TripAdvisor reviews of properties around Europe. Reviews of the last couple of weeks have moaned to high heaven about the lack of air conditioning - especially in luxury hotels. I think - first - it's possible that it's a rarity - even in five star properties - and second - the ones that have it need to tweak it or turn it on in the event. Reminiscent of the 2003 "summer from hell" when we were there. Only just now learned from articles mentioning it that the number who were dying around us was 70,000 - 20,000 in France.

Air conditioning is almost always installed in European luxury hotels but it's not the United States - turn the AC down to 65 freeze your butt off - type of air conditioning. Same goes with cold drinks and ice. There are some cultural differences that should be expected when one travels abroad, even to luxury properties. Air conditioning is Europe is typically not equivalent to air conditioning in the United States.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
Air conditioning is almost always installed in European luxury hotels but it's not the United States - turn the AC down to 65 freeze your butt off - type of air conditioning. Same goes with cold drinks and ice. There are some cultural differences that should be expected when one travels abroad, even to luxury properties. Air conditioning is Europe is typically not equivalent to air conditioning in the United States.
True enough. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I get two ice cubes in my glass!

We met a friend who works in Paris for lunch on one of the hot days. I asked her if her office had A/C. She said, "Yes, but French A/C!" No explanation necessary.

While I don't need "freeze your but off A/C," in a luxury hotel, you shouldn't break out in a sweat when you move or have to have to lie on the bed in your underwear to be comfortable.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:11 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

While I don't need "freeze your but off A/C," in a luxury hotel, you shouldn't break out in a sweat when you move or have to have to lie on the bed in your underwear to be comfortable.
My eyes!!!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:04 pm

Hmmm, just curious, what else would you wear when lying in your bed? You are starting to make me feel a bit ashamed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.