Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by synd
That's where i think you're mistaken. FS has corporates rates too which are unpublished. You have a lof people not paying an ADR of 1000 + euros / night.

The price is not the same but they are not the same properties, exactly like there is a difference in cost between the PH SYD and the 4S SYD where the PH is about on average 2x the cost of the 4s...
I am not mistaken. There are more discounted rates at the PH than at FS GV. ADR is undoubtedly higher at GV.

Sydney is a totally different situation - PHS is the best in town and FS Sydney should not even be flaged as a Four Seasons.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 1, 2015 at 7:06 am
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I am not mistaken. There are more discounted rates at the PH than at FS GV. ADR is higher.

Sydney is a totally different situation - PHS is the best in town and FS Sydney should not even be flaged as a Four Seasons.
Never thought I'd say this but...for SYD....Langham > PH/FS!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

Checked in last night as our final stop of our 10th wedding anniversary trip. Currently very irritated as we've lost sleep and time and switched rooms twice.

Emailed the hotel months ago to request a quiet room for our anniversary, and to my surprise the manager replied regarding a possible upgrade and champagne. We were upgraded from Park Queen to Park King on the 1st floor. Woken up this morning by sporadic sounds of some cranking metal noises. I know we are supposed to be out and about but we had been hiking in Italy and Switzerland and are just too tired and wanted to sleep in. Plus today is the hottest day at 90+ degrees.

The Mister did some sleuthing and found that we were above some delivery dock and that's where the noises are from. We actually recorded the noises and played them to the manager, but she said that she did not hear them when she went to our room.

We had to rush back from lunch to pack and move. By now the Mister wanted a nap and then we heard housekeeping cart and staff sounds. I opened the door and we were facing the housekeeping room.

Finally after looking at some other rooms we moved to the fifth floor. It's smaller with the slanted roof but seems quieter.

Just thought it was a bad prank on us. Don't understand how a request for a quiet room led to two noisy ones!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by PokerHammy
Checked in last night as our final stop of our 10th wedding anniversary trip. Currently very irritated as we've lost sleep and time and switched rooms twice.

Emailed the hotel months ago to request a quiet room for our anniversary, and to my surprise the manager replied regarding a possible upgrade and champagne. We were upgraded from Park Queen to Park King on the 1st floor. Woken up this morning by sporadic sounds of some cranking metal noises. I know we are supposed to be out and about but we had been hiking in Italy and Switzerland and are just too tired and wanted to sleep in. Plus today is the hottest day at 90+ degrees.

The Mister did some sleuthing and found that we were above some delivery dock and that's where the noises are from. We actually recorded the noises and played them to the manager, but she said that she did not hear them when she went to our room.

We had to rush back from lunch to pack and move. By now the Mister wanted a nap and then we heard housekeeping cart and staff sounds. I opened the door and we were facing the housekeeping room.

Finally after looking at some other rooms we moved to the fifth floor. It's smaller with the slanted roof but seems quieter.

Just thought it was a bad prank on us. Don't understand how a request for a quiet room led to two noisy ones!
You sound frustrated because the hotel staff lack of knowledge about which rooms are quiet.

Do bear in mind that staff would not have first hand knowledge if the room is noisy because they don't typically stay in the rooms of the hotel they work at.

It would be helpful to consider that staff are trying to accommodate you by moving you around twice.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:28 pm

You don't think the manager would/should know?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:39 pm

The assumption at a five star hotel is that all rooms should be adequately soundproofed and quiet - although of course this is not always the case.

A normally quiet room could under certain circumstances not be quiet on any given day due to reasons beyond the hotel's control. e.g. loud guests in neighbouring rooms or a mechanical problem the hotel is unaware of.

And no, it is not reasonable to assume that management has perfect knowledge of which rooms are going to be quiet on a given day, although they should of course be aware if certain rooms persistently have noise problems.

It sounds like the hotel handled the problem very well by moving you around, in addition to upgrading you and providing amenities. I don't understand the complaint.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 5, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:41 pm

When folks ask for a quiet room: first that comes to mind of is away from lifts, meeting rooms and F&B outlets.

The cranking metal and housekeeping, unless staff are notified of how noisy it is, hotel staff won't have any concept of those areas being noisy.

That said, some managers know every nook and cranny of their property better than others.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jun 5, 2015 at 12:51 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:12 pm

Quote:

The assumption at a five star hotel is that all rooms should be adequately soundproofed and quiet - although of course this is not always the case.

A normally quiet room could under certain circumstances not be quiet on any given day due to reasons beyond the hotel's control. e.g. loud guests in neighbouring rooms or a mechanical problem the hotel is unaware of.

And no, it is not reasonable to assume that management has perfect knowledge of which rooms are going to be quiet on a given day, although they should of course be aware if certain rooms persistently have noise problems.

It sounds like the hotel handled the problem very well by moving you around, in addition to upgrading you and providing amenities. I don't understand the complaint.
All I asked for was a quiet room. It would be common sense that it's noisy above the delivery door and across the housekeeping room. I value time and sleep more than the half bottle of champagne and some extra space, which was a nice gesture but unasked for. Certainly such a simple request could be handled even at a Hilton on a regular day, not to mention on a special celebration.

I'm not surprised at your not understanding, being a PHP lover who obviously has not been given either of these rooms.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I'm not surprised at your not understanding, being a PHP lover who obviously has not been given either of these rooms.
Do people still do PHP? No, wait -- that was PCP.

Sorry, wrong thread.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:44 pm

All I asked for was a quiet room. It would be common sense that it's noisy above the delivery door and across the housekeeping room. I value time and sleep more than the half bottle of champagne and some extra space, which was a nice gesture but unasked for. Certainly such a simple request could be handled even at a Hilton on a regular day, not to mention on a special celebration.
Common sense isn't always common available.

You seems frustrated that the hotel is unable to fulfill what you deem is a simple request

However, I do not think your expectations are realistic because you require a manager of a 100 room establishment, to have intimate detail of all 100 rooms not just on the same floor but above and below. (if you think that is easy quick tell me where your bedroom at home is in relation to your furnace, HVAC, sewage main and breaker box - since you live there it should be common sense no?)

On top of which you expect them to be able to identify all variables that can make each room noisy because it is common sense.

The variables can make a room noisy could range up to the 100s.

For a manager to have such intimate knowledge would also require prolonged tenure at a property, which most aren't as it is common for hotel managers for all brands to switch hotels within 4 years of service on average.

Moreover, hotel managers have more pressing issues that require their attention when managing a property than understanding such minute details as there is no value proposition as it does not generate additional revenue for a property.

So I disagree with your view on how small your request is, and they generally take a rule of thumb, which I highlighted above, to pick out a quiet room.

Most of the regulars on this forum are candid about their views and there is no need to resort to name calling over a disagreements.

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jun 5, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:28 pm

The hotel presumably had hundreds of other guests in house, so you have no way of knowing what room inventory was when you arrived.

To assume that the hotel deliberately put you in a room they knew to be noisy is absurd. They have to juggle rooms for hundreds of people all arriving and departing at different times. Even at good hotels one has to insist on a different room if the one provided is unsatisfactory.

You booked a standard room, which means the hotel could have stuck you anywhere they wanted to. They upgraded you, gave you champagne, and moved you twice to resolve your complaint.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jun 6, 2015 at 7:12 am
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
The hotel presumably had hundreds of other guests in house, so you have no way of knowing what room inventory was when you arrived.

To assume that the hotel deliberately put you in a room they knew to be noisy is absurd. They have to juggle rooms for hundreds of people all arriving and departing at different times. Even at good hotels one has to insist on a different room if the one provided is unsatisfactory.

You booked a standard room, which means the hotel could have stuck you anywhere they wanted to. They upgraded you, gave you champagne, and moved you twice to resolve your complaint.
I would say the great hotels, with top management & staff, would have systems and processes in place to gather this type of guest feedback and then make their staff aware of these important points thru training and automation.

If rooms above delivery docks are more noisy than others, then this would likely be a common guest complaint that gets documented and then the staff knows how to accommodate a quests simple for a quiet room. Computer systems and software programs can capture all of this info but a hotel needs to know how to harness it.

I think its hogwash to say, in this day and age, that their are simply too many rooms and the manager and staff are too busy with other aspects of the business to be able to have this level of detailed focus. Technology and training and a sincere desire to provide the best guest experience can eliminate this type of situation.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:51 am

A quiet room is a common request. This is not a Hyatt Place, it's a luxury hotel bearing the French palace designation. They do know which rooms are quiet. It's not rocket science, they will allocate a room facing the Les Orchidées courtyard (which is closed, opposed to the Terrace courtyard), away from elevators and staff rooms. First floor has management offices plus Suite 101 (hairdresser), so not quiet at times. Don't know why you ended up there in the first place. I assume the hotel was very busy and they did their best. Champagne and upgrade was a very nice touch on their part. As some here know, I love the hotel but a quiet room is a request they get all the time and certain room numbers usually guarantee that. They denial is odd and normally not their style. But as usual with those reports, we do not get the full picture or the hotel's side of the story. I hope PokerHammy enjoyed the celebration nevertheless, even though the most basic request any hotel irrespective of category should be able to deliver (a good night's sleep and tranquility) seems not fulfilled here.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I would say the great hotels, with top management & staff, would have systems and processes in place to gather this type of guest feedback and then make their staff aware of these important points thru training and automation.

If rooms above delivery docks are more noisy than others, then this would likely be a common guest complaint that gets documented and then the staff knows how to accommodate a quests simple for a quiet room. Computer systems and software programs can capture all of this info but a hotel needs to know how to harness it.

I think its hogwash to say, in this day and age, that their are simply too many rooms and the manager and staff are too busy with other aspects of the business to be able to have this level of detailed focus. Technology and training and a sincere desire to provide the best guest experience can eliminate this type of situation.
You assume too many things because:

1) Not all guest provide feedback, it is more often guest just never returns after a terrible experience with no feedback at all.

2) A room near a docking door maybe noisy on at certain times of the day and most hotel guest are typically out of the room by a certain time.

3) To develop a system to capture all of this information if it is not in the software would cost time and money.

4) Even if the system is free, how much more money can it make for the hotel?

In a world of cost cutting to eek out higher yeilds, you are asking a company to add additional responsibilities and cost that does not affect the bottom line.

This idea goes against what I deem as logical business sense.

You are right to suggest that higher end luxury hotels should follow this model, and it appeals to my ideals of how a luxury hotel should be managed.

However, the returns on investment of such a practice isn't the most practical from a business perspective.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Folks, with all due respect, this is a hotel we are talking about, a hotel in a very busy part of Paris, so the vast majority of the rooms are subject to noise. This is not Schloss Elmau after all.

Putting the comment by scented into context; ironically, the original Hyatt Place set up has very quiet rooms, top floor at the end of each corridor right next to the stairway (hardly anyone uses a stairway in the US anyway...)

But there is one problem, quite often the rooms closest to the elevator are larger, so what should a hotel employee do in case a Diamond guest requests a large room and a quiet room in his profile or in advance?

They upgraded Hammy to a larger room, they even offered a free bottle of Champagne and probably did everything they could during a very busy week...

BTW, 3M has very inexpensive 'noise-cancelling options' in various colours.@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.