Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Rooms next to the elevators are considered by me as not being amongst some of the quietest rooms for this property.
Why don't you just state a room number to give us an idea which rooms you actually mean?

At this point, I have to assume you talk about some magic rooms, maybe room number 9 3/4?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:56 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Is the Park Queen considered the standard room here? I've been looking for award availability and there seems to be Park Queen availability but not any award availability....

Thanks
FDW
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FD1971
Why don't you just state a room number to give us an idea which rooms you actually mean?

At this point, I have to assume you talk about some magic rooms, maybe room number 9 3/4?
It would be a series of rooms, rather than just a room number. If I carried around the hotels' layouts with all the room numbers, it would be rather easy to provide the numbers of the series of rooms to which I was referring, but I don't port those around.

The rooms to which I'm referring are indicated in the posts of mine provided in this thread within the last 24 hours. If one knows the hotel layout and surrounding area reasonably well, it shouldn't be hard to figure out the referenced areas of the hotel, whether or not currently accessing all the floors' floor plans with the room numbers on them or not. These referenced "quiet" rooms would definitely be rather far removed from the Rue Volney side of the hotel, have no through street view, and have no view of guest-utilized public areas of the hotel. If you carry around the hotel floor maps with all the room numbers, please do provide them in a post here so that I can point out the room numbers for those interested in requesting such rooms.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 9, 2015 at 4:51 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 4:55 am
Suspended

It would be a series of rooms, rather than just a room number. If I carried around the hotels' layouts with all the room numbers, it would be rather easy to provide the numbers of the series of rooms to which I was referring, but I don't port those around.

The rooms to which I'm referring are indicated in the posts of mine provided in this thread within the last 24 hours. If one knows the hotel layout and surrounding area reasonably well, it shouldn't be hard to figure out the referenced areas of the hotel, whether or not currently accessing all the floors' floor plans with the room numbers on them or not. These referenced "quiet" rooms would definitely be rather far removed from the Rue Volney side of the hotel, have no through street view, and have no view of guest-utilized public areas of the hotel. If you carry around the hotel floor maps with all the room numbers, please do provide them in a post here so that I can point out the room numbers for those interested in requesting such rooms.
So the mystery rooms are facing the interior/courtyard(s)?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Is the Park Queen considered the standard room here? I've been looking for award availability and there seems to be Park Queen availability but not any award availability....

Thanks
FDW
Yes, the standard rooms are the Park Twin/Queen, which should be available for awards if they are available for revenue. If you're not seeing that, you should probably contact GP.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
So the mystery rooms are facing the interior/courtyard(s)?
But he said "have no view of guest-utilized public areas of the hotel".

The courtyard room we had on our first stay faced the courtyard, which was a public area with tables and chairs. Not all that quiet in the evenings, with conversation noise. I preferred the street noise of Rue de la Paix to the voices from the courtyard, although decibel-wise the courtyard would be judged quieter.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

Thanks
FDW
+1 to OsakiWino's comments

mirror-ed what I wrote

Last edited by DHalltheway; Jun 9, 2015 at 5:47 am
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Exactly...., hence I called them mystery rooms and would love to know where they can be found, if they do not face the road behind the hotel or public areas at all and are closer to the front road. I still think it must be room 209 3/4

The courtyard room we had on our first stay faced the courtyard, which was a public area with tables and chairs. Not all that quiet in the evenings, with conversation noise. I preferred the street noise of Rue de la Paix to the voices from the courtyard, although decibel-wise the courtyard would be judged quieter.
Exactly my experience, classic case of picking your poison, it is either noise from a street or the courtyard.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Exactly...., hence I called them mystery rooms and would love to know where they can be found, if they do not face the road behind the hotel or public areas at all and are closer to the front road. I still think it must be room 209 3/4

Exactly my experience, classic case of picking your poison, it is either noise from a street or the courtyard.
Trade-offs indeed, but the rooms are neither a mystery nor limited to just a choice of noise from streets or courtyards. And certainly not a fractional room number.

There are some rooms at this property that face neither the street nor the courtyard. They are no mystery to the hotel's room cleaning staff which rather frequently visit these rather dark, quiet rooms, some of which even have had a regular sized sofa placed in the room along with a wall-length desk where the windows from the living area look out at neither street nor guest-utilized courtyard.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador

^^^^
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:07 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok, I think we've debated "quiet" rooms in this property enough. Let's move on - this thread is already very lengthy, and debate on this is only making it worse.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by peteropny
Ok, I think we've debated "quiet" rooms in this property enough. Let's move on - this thread is already very lengthy, and debate on this is only making it worse.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Trade-offs indeed, but the rooms are neither a mystery nor limited to just a choice of noise from streets or courtyards. And certainly not a fractional room number.

There are some rooms at this property that face neither the street nor the courtyard. They are no mystery to the hotel's room cleaning staff which rather frequently visit these rather dark, quiet rooms, some of which even have had a regular sized sofa placed in the room along with a wall-length desk where the windows from the living area look out at neither street nor guest-utilized courtyard.

I stayed at this property recently and took this image of the floor plan, which may be of assistance to those who are planning future stays.

It shows that most rooms on the 6th Floor face either La Terrasse (the open-air courtyard, depicted by the open area toward the top of the frame) or face the glassed-in, enclosed conservatory that is over Les Orchidées (the lower rectangle on the floor plan).

When people have written about noise and/or smoke from the courtyard, I believe they are talking about the open area that is shown toward the top of the photo -- La Terrasse.

Basically, one large room - presumably a suite - faces both Volney and the open courtyard; 8 rooms overlook only the open courtyard; 5 rooms overlook the glass-enclosed conservatory; and 4 rooms face rue de la Paix.

I have no idea about the area to the left, toward Capucines. Is this perhaps a 2 level suite?

One might assume that the floor plans on lower floors are similar, but I do not know this for certain.

My room was a Deluxe King overlooking rue de la Paix. It was quiet in terms of street noise, most of which was distant due to the room being located at the top of the building. I'll try to write up a more detailed review as soon as time allows. Suffice it to say that my stay was a pleasant one.

Perhaps those who have more familiarity with the hotel can provide information about the room numbers that may correspond to the various areas on the floor.

I considered walking the corridor to make notes, but simply couldn't bring myself to do it ... I was in Paris and had far better things to do with my time in the city!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
I have no idea about the area to the left, toward Capucines. Is this perhaps a 2 level suite?
This is the hotel's bi-level/duplex Presidential suite, the 6th floor houses the bedroom, bathroom & spa.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:42 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I stayed at this hotel over New Year's (Bonne année!), paying cash and using a Diamond Suite Upgrade. In my opinion, although the service was decent, neither the rooms nor the service were enough to warrant the 800-1000 Euro/nt. price tag we paid. And worse, the suite upgrade "suites" they use are not suites, but just larger rooms with a couch. In my opinion, for 900 Euros + a DSU, a guest should receive an actual suite. Even in "expensive" Paris.

Upon the request of the hotel, I completed the departure survey, where I noted the same thing I said above about suite upgrades not using real suites, but otherwise I gave the hotel high marks in all other categories. I received a polite but unhelpful response telling me what I already knew (that the hotel only provides larger rooms, but not suites, for suite upgrades).

The Park Hyatt Vienna was the last PH I stayed in in Europe prior to Paris-Vendome, and in my opinion offered FAR better value.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.