Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by stargold
Anyone with the slightest hint of common sense would see that the proposed 1+4 is unreasonable and flawed.

Doesn't seem to stop them, though. It's all about maximising at any cost these days.
Hotels can spot "maximisers" a mile away and know to treat them accordingly.

If I were in charge of room allocation at a Hyatt, I would make sure to NOT upgrade the remaining award nights in such a case, even if availability were wide open.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Hotels can spot "maximisers" a mile away and know to treat them accordingly.

If I were in charge of room allocation at a Hyatt, I would make sure to NOT upgrade the remaining award nights in such a case, even if availability were wide open.
So roughly when they turn around the corner of the Hyatt du Louvre?

In all fairness, this particular Hotel has been subject to maximisers since the first round of FFN and they always played by the rules, despite stupid accusations on FT years ago.

1+4 might push it a bit, but I overheard even more ridiculous requests from (mostly) American guests leaving the property with a big fat zero on their involce.

When you stay at Vendome these days, you are actually happy that FFN is a thing of the past...

Coming back to 1+4, I have seen stranger things happen and comped at Vendome....so it might be worth a shot in case you can still look in the mirror without being ashamed.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by FD1971
So roughly when they turn around the corner of the Hyatt du Louvre?

In all fairness, this particular Hotel has been subject to maximisers since the first round of FFN and they always played by the rules, despite stupid accusations on FT years ago.

1+4 might push it a bit, but I overheard even more ridiculous requests from (mostly) American guests leaving the property with a big fat zero on their involce.

When you stay at Vendome these days, you are actually happy that FFN is a thing of the past...

Coming back to 1+4, I have seen stranger things happen and comped at Vendome....so it might be worth a shot in case you can still look in the mirror without being ashamed.
Especially if one has DSUs to burn with no better use for them... but in that case, why not C+P the whole stay to use DSU?

I'm cutious now... What ridiculous requests have you overheard from guests not spending a cent at this hotel??

I can't imagine a zero balance... more than a few times I have erroneously been given stay credit for award stays because my F&B and spa incidentals brought the bill into the ballpark of what a paid stay at BAR would have cost...
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
why not C+P the whole stay to use DSU?
+1

I thought P&C+DSU at PHV was a great deal, but then I use P&C a lot and tend to run low on pts. The only reason I can think for doing 1 night P&C and 4 nights all pts would be if someone were drowning in free pts from employer-paid stays.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
+1

I thought P&C+DSU at PHV was a great deal, but then I use P&C a lot and tend to run low on pts. The only reason I can think for doing 1 night P&C and 4 nights all pts would be if someone were drowning in free pts from employer-paid stays.
^
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Just completed a stay here. First time during July. I might note I got a Junior Suite upgrade on both rooms without applying DSU (granted this was my 15th revenue stay). One note - Diamond breakfast no longer includes the eggs Benedict for room service. It's a supplement of 30 euro each. This was a first for me!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:07 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

anyone have any experience negotiating a paid upgrade on an award stay prior to arrival? I got my parents a Guest of Honor booking and would like to perhaps upgrade them if possible...

thanks
FDW
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
anyone have any experience negotiating a paid upgrade on an award stay prior to arrival? I got my parents a Guest of Honor booking and would like to perhaps upgrade them if possible...

thanks
FDW
They will confirm upgrades up to Park Suite. It requires payment of the difference in rack rate between the base room and the category to which you are upgrading (deluxe or park suite).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

thanks
FDW
As MikeFromTokyo said, they're usually quite willing to guarantee and upgrade to a Deluxe Room or Park Suite (and probably also to an Executive Suite) for the difference in the HDR from the base room, but I'm pretty sure you have to contact the hotel directly to do this, although maybe an FT concierge can contact them for you.

If attempting to contact the hotel directly by email, I suggest getting a direct email address from someone. For our first stay I used the generic email on the hotel's page and the reply I got was from Europe central reservations and the requests I sent them were never forwarded to the hotel. For our second stay someone here on FT gave me the email address for the GM and he was incredibly helpful.

There have also been a few posts reporting upgrade available at check-in for a lower amount than the difference in the HDR, but I guess that's not a good option when your sending your parents on a Guest of Honor booking.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 9:05 am

Such upgrades can only be made by the property itself. AFAIK central reservations cannot be of help.

All GP Concierge/CS might do, if you're lucky, is call the property and ask for the upgrade. So it is easier to just contact the property to begin with.

I think the upgrades do actually go up to Executive suite.

Last edited by MikeFromTokyo; Jul 29, 2015 at 10:10 am
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know of an automated way to track availability? The hotel is booked up for the night we may be in Paris (July 9-10, 2016). I got a backup reservation at W - Opera (but will probably rebook once ABA rates for 2016 become available) but would like to keep an eye out for points or P+C availability.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by Rusdude
Does anyone know of an automated way to track availability? The hotel is booked up for the night we may be in Paris (July 9-10, 2016). I got a backup reservation at W - Opera (but will probably rebook once ABA rates for 2016 become available) but would like to keep an eye out for points or P+C availability.
The Vendome isn't full for your dates. Like the Hyatt Etoile, they just haven't loaded their summer 2016 rates yet.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
The Vendome isn't full for your dates. Like the Hyatt Etoile, they just haven't loaded their summer 2016 rates yet.
Is the "summer" for those hotels early June through early July?

I also thought it was due to rates not being loaded because availability stopped in early June (night of June 9-10). However, it seems to pick up once again starting July 12.

FWIW, two separate calls to the Diamond Line resulted in both agents telling me the hotel is selling the rooms for my night (but being sold out) and offering me to book a room at a guaranteed-availability rate of 900-something euros.

P.S. Is there anything special going on in Paris June 10-July 11? Roland Garros ends before that but the hotel is not sold out during those dates either.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: FB Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Rusdude
Is there anything special going on in Paris June 10-July 11? Roland Garros ends before that but the hotel is not sold out during those dates either.
The 2016 UEFA European Championship (European football/soccer championship) will take place from June 10-July 10, 2016.
The matches will be played in 10 cities in France, including Paris, St. Denis (a northern suburb of Paris) and Nice.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by orion2000
The 2016 UEFA European Championship (European football/soccer championship) will take place from June 10-July 10, 2016.
The matches will be played in 10 cities in France, including Paris, St. Denis (a northern suburb of Paris) and Nice.
Ouch! That's an embarrassing miss on my part but they haven't held the drawing yet so didn't know the dates. FWIW, Rick Steve's list doesn't have it either (https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/france/festivals).

Now this makes me wonder if we should spend an extra night in Paris and try to enjoy the festivities.. On the other hand, my companion isn't into sports all that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.