Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
I stayed at this hotel over New Year's (Bonne année!), paying cash and using a Diamond Suite Upgrade. In my opinion, although the service was decent, neither the rooms nor the service were enough to warrant the 800-1000 Euro/nt. price tag we paid. And worse, the suite upgrade "suites" they use are not suites, but just larger rooms with a couch. In my opinion, for 900 Euros + a DSU, a guest should receive an actual suite. Even in "expensive" Paris.

Upon the request of the hotel, I completed the departure survey, where I noted the same thing I said above about suite upgrades not using real suites, but otherwise I gave the hotel high marks in all other categories. I received a polite but unhelpful response telling me what I already knew (that the hotel only provides larger rooms, but not suites, for suite upgrades).

The Park Hyatt Vienna was the last PH I stayed in in Europe prior to Paris-Vendome, and in my opinion offered FAR better value.
I know people who were upgraded to an Executive Suite without DSU, which is the category you were after, and their rate was lower by quite a bit.
I think NYE is the culprit.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by scented
I know people who were upgraded to an Executive Suite without DSU, which is the category you were after, and their rate was lower by quite a bit.
I think NYE is the culprit.
You know we go through this all the time upgrades unless you know someone in the hotel and or a frequent guest is generally assigned at time of check in, some days really good and others not so good. I have been for the last five years been booking exactly what I want in advance using points/money or just money
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Is the Park Queen considered the standard room here? I've been looking for award availability and there seems to be Park Queen availability but not any award availability....

Thanks
FDW
Just tried to book award night over the phone. Was told by a supervisor that park queen is the base, not park twin (no park queen avail). I think that is complete BS as both are usually available for booking at the standard 30k/nt.

Called back and tried a different approach. I immediately asked what type of rooms are available as a standard award. Was told park queen or park twin. Well then I should be able to book a standard award if either is available at the standard cash rate. Rep is working on it now.

DONE, BOOKED. Why does it have to be so difficult?

Last edited by jmw2323; Jun 22, 2015 at 2:59 pm
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Could someone PM me a email address that I could pass along a special request to the property? I will be arriving in August for my honeymoon.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by cop35758
Could someone PM me a email address that I could pass along a special request to the property? I will be arriving in August for my honeymoon.
Scroll 49% of the way back, to post 1314.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by cop35758
If your a Diamond call the Diamond Desk their very good at these things.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Just got back from a stay ending Sunday. For anyone who goes there when it's hot, apparently they have the air conditioning set so that Americans can't turn the thermostat down to make it comfortable. The trick it to tell the front desk you would like the room to be cooler and they will send a technician to your room to set it so that you can make it cooler. It was 97° (36°) outside Friday night at 9:15 p.m.

Other than that (and the usual French Hyatt problems with accounting), everything was wonderful. The friendliest staff of any hotel I've ever been to.

The half price breakfast (yes, I'm a lowly Platinum) is great. Even the breakfast pastry basket at 13 Euros (6.5 at half price) is more than enough for two - at least 10 total items. If you're lucky, when you go, Javier will be your waiter. He even put together a box of pastries and cookies for us on the final morning, "for the plane." He's also very easy on the eyes. Unfortunately, the Champagne at the bar is not half price.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
If you're lucky, when you go, Javier will be your waiter. He's also very easy on the eyes.
Can't agree with you more.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:07 pm
DEK

Originally Posted by thucanhho
Can't agree with you more.
Third and fourth that one!

Agree with everything ILuvParis said however we didn't get the "care package" to take on the plane with us....
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:52 pm
Suspended

The half price breakfast (yes, I'm a lowly Platinum) is great. Even the breakfast pastry basket at 13 Euros (6.5 at half price) is more than enough for two - at least 10 total items. If you're lucky, when you go, Javier will be your waiter. He even put together a box of pastries and cookies for us on the final morning, "for the plane." He's also very easy on the eyes. Unfortunately, the Champagne at the bar is not half price.
Regardless of status, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better use for a $100 F&B credit than this hotel! (Full disclosure: I love love love this hotel, but still confused why people paying cash here don't always book Virtuoso rates)

ps, not sure if it's just Virtuoso, or if Hyatt is running it too, but currently there is a fourth night free promo that is quite alive and well
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:30 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
College dorms do the same thing. Such a system is easily defeated. Just ask any college kid how to do it. Hint: if you can find some way to warm up the thermostat, then the air conditioner will come on. So ... how does one warm up a thermostat?

That's why candles were invented. There may be other small portable sources of heat, most of which were invented after my college days.
For anyone who goes there when it's hot, apparently they have the air conditioning set so that Americans can't turn the thermostat down to make it comfortable. The trick it to tell the front desk you would like the room to be cooler and they will send a technician to your room to set it so that you can make it cooler. It was 97° (36°) outside Friday night at 9:15 p.m.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Paris - Park Vendome - REVIEWS - MASTER THREAD - 8/2011 Forwards

That may be true, but the technician brought his ladder, opened a panel in the ceiling, worked for a few minutes and told me he had changed a setting so that the thermostat could now be set at a lower temperature. Perhaps that is not as efficient as going out and purchasing matches and a candle (or a lighter) and periodically heating the thermostat throughout the night!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:22 am

That may be true, but the technician brought his ladder, opened a panel in the ceiling, worked for a few minutes and told me he had changed a setting so that the thermostat could now be set at a lower temperature. Perhaps that is not as efficient as going out and purchasing matches and a candle (or a lighter) and periodically heating the thermostat throughout the night!
Quite.

Not to mention the potentially interesting conversation at check-out why half of the thermostat is melted and charred
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
I'm looking for a link or Hyatt reference to the 50% off Breakfast for Platinum's at PHV. I've seen it mentioned in a few places but can't locate an actual Hyatt offering.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
I'm looking for a link or Hyatt reference to the 50% off Breakfast for Platinum's at PHV. I've seen it mentioned in a few places but can't locate an actual Hyatt offering.
I don't think it's any actual policy per say; much how they used to offer first time plata free breakfast.

Fdw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.