Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:13 pm

Amazing Trip!!!

My wife and I just got back from a 5-night stay at the Park Hyatt Vendome, and it was awesome!!

Initially, I booked all of the nights with C&P and tried to use a DSU, but could only get a suite confirmed for 3 of the nights. So, I booked that and then had a separate C&P reservation for the other 2 nights. A couple of weeks later, I decided to get a Hyatt credit card and use the 2 free nights to replace the second C&P reservation (saving me 30,000 points and $600).

When we checked in, we got an Executive Suite and we were really pleased with the room. In fact, it was so big that it took us two days to find out that we had a second bathroom!! After 3 nights, I went to the front desk to switch rooms and they let us stay in the Executive Suite for the rest of the trip. So, altogether, 5 nights in the Executive Suite cost me 45,000 points and $900 -- what a deal!!!

As a first time visitor to Paris, I had high expectations (based on what I had read on FT and elsewhere), but I have to say that our stay was even better than I had hoped for. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The breakfast was one of the best that I have ever had in a hotel (only exceeded by the Andaz Maui). And the location was perfect -- we were within easy walking distance to all of the major museums and other tourist sites. I can't wait to go back again!!!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by hawkandhoo
My wife and I just got back from a 5-night stay at the Park Hyatt Vendome, and it was awesome!!

Initially, I booked all of the nights with C&P and tried to use a DSU, but could only get a suite confirmed for 3 of the nights. So, I booked that and then had a separate C&P reservation for the other 2 nights. A couple of weeks later, I decided to get a Hyatt credit card and use the 2 free nights to replace the second C&P reservation (saving me 30,000 points and $600).

When we checked in, we got an Executive Suite and we were really pleased with the room. In fact, it was so big that it took us two days to find out that we had a second bathroom!! After 3 nights, I went to the front desk to switch rooms and they let us stay in the Executive Suite for the rest of the trip. So, altogether, 5 nights in the Executive Suite cost me 45,000 points and $900 -- what a deal!!!

As a first time visitor to Paris, I had high expectations (based on what I had read on FT and elsewhere), but I have to say that our stay was even better than I had hoped for. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The breakfast was one of the best that I have ever had in a hotel (only exceeded by the Andaz Maui). And the location was perfect -- we were within easy walking distance to all of the major museums and other tourist sites. I can't wait to go back again!!!
That's what it's all about ! Glad you had a great time and was positive unlike some on here who feel the need to criticize a wonderful place, and get their rooms for free !!
Old Aug 24, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Delta Plat, AA Gold, Avis PresClub
Combining Multiple Reservations
Family of 4 planning to stay 3 nights in late May. I am a Hilton guy (Diamond by nights) and have no Hyatt points. I know we will need to book two standard rooms per night. I am thinking of my wife and I each getting the Hyatt credit cards to cover the 1st two nights, and then i would transfer 60k UR's for the last night. I might start switching up my hotel stays when i can as well for Hyatt, especially when the Diamond challenge comes back. I was originally thinking of transferring 180k UR's, but that's a ton for basically a 3 night hotel stay.
Will Hyatt be able to combine all these reservations so we don't have to move and can get 2 adjoining rooms?
Any other thoughts?
Old Aug 24, 2015, 7:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by truprunbike
Any other thoughts?
Book the nights you want to stay on points asap... no use thinking about all scenarios when availability is gone. May is a popular time to be in Paris.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by truprunbike
[B]Will Hyatt be able to combine all these reservations so we don't have to move and can get 2 adjoining rooms?
Once you have the res nos., eve if it is 3 different res, they will have no problem keeping you in the same room as long as you let them know in advance (probably at least a week to be safe). There are some connecting rooms as well if you want to ask for them depending on the ages of your kids, but that will strictly limit location.

Availability fluctuates constantly, since a lot of people make speculative multiple reservations well in advance. As RW1 said, book what you can as soon as possible, availability often opens up, but then disappears very quickly.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
My husband and I are vacationing in Paris for my 40th birthday in May. He tried to reserve our stay using cash plus points at the PH today through the Diamond Line, and was told there are no cash plus point rooms available.

We can pay for a basic room for the four night stay with all points (those are available apparently), but we are under the impression we lose out on using the DSU we have saved up if we go that route. We also have two free stays to use, but aren't those restricted to just the category 1-4 hotels?

Does this property upgrade Diamonds who are booked on point stays? Are we able to pay cash for an upgraded room? I've read that the base rooms are a bit tight and I'm exploring our options for a larger space.

Any opinions?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mbourgeois
My husband and I are vacationing in Paris for my 40th birthday in May. He tried to reserve our stay using cash plus points at the PH today through the Diamond Line, and was told there are no cash plus point rooms available.

We can pay for a basic room for the four night stay with all points (those are available apparently), but we are under the impression we lose out on using the DSU we have saved up if we go that route. We also have two free stays to use, but aren't those restricted to just the category 1-4 hotels?

Does this property upgrade Diamonds who are booked on point stays? Are we able to pay cash for an upgraded room? I've read that the base rooms are a bit tight and I'm exploring our options for a larger space.

Any opinions?
Welcome to FT! I stayed at PH Vendome this past February on a pure points stay. I was upgraded from a Park King to a Deluxe Park King room, which was of very good size. Unless you're going to spend a lot of time in your room, I personally wouldn't bother with paying the extra cash and using a DSU.

Welcome to FT!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:40 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
It may be worthwhile to check availability "one night at a time". Sometimes points and cash is available for some (but not all) of the four nights. You can book the nights which are available, then check back later to see if the other nights open up.

For example, let's say that nights 1 and 4 are available for Points and Cash. You can book those nights and apply a DSU. Then you can book nights 2 and 3 on All Points. Let the Diamond Line know (and ask them to let the hotel know) that you're extremely interested in converting nights 2 and 3 to Points and Cash, if and when it becomes available.

Originally Posted by mbourgeois

Any opinions?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:48 am

Per this
https://pizzainmotion.boardingarea.c...-availability/

C&P is never available at Park Hyatt Vendome...not a single day. Your options are to use full points for the room, full points for a Suite, or pay for the room using cash and a DSU to upgrade to Suite.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Originally Posted by djefvert
Per this

C&P is never available at Park Hyatt Vendome...not a single day. Your options are to use full points for the room, full points for a Suite, or pay for the room using cash and a DSU to upgrade to Suite.
Absolutely not true. I stayed there for 4 nights a week and a half ago on points + cash and used a DSU and paid for a connecting room for 2 kids. Fabulous stay. ^
Old Sep 7, 2015, 8:04 am

Incredible review. During my bout with insomnia at 4am, I was devouring the details of your trip. The first class flight "room" looked incredible despite the food. Thank you for the reply!

Originally Posted by dat4life
Welcome to FT! I stayed at PH Vendome this past February on a pure points stay. I was upgraded from a Park King to a Deluxe Park King room, which was of very good size. Unless you're going to spend a lot of time in your room, I personally wouldn't bother with paying the extra cash and using a DSU.

Welcome to FT!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:39 am

Per this

NOT true at all. I stay here once sometimes twice a year, some paid other points. I have been offered additional upgrade for what I considered very reasonable cash!

Diamonds are always upgraded unless your unfortunate to land when the hotel is slammed ( that does happen) but as someone else pointed out this is Paris rooms are small. But then one can't see much out the windows anyway

get out drink some wine!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:14 am

edgewood49 and XCstud, thats good to hear. That provies you can't believe everything you read. I havent had luck finding C&P there for 3 different stays I've tried. Must have just been the dates. I was ready to give up.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:01 am

edgewood49 and XCstud, thats good to hear. That provies you can't believe everything you read. I havent had luck finding C&P there for 3 different stays I've tried. Must have just been the dates. I was ready to give up.
If you have access to "special services desk" they seem to be able to get it 90% of the time. PHV is very accommodating even to us American's, except of course the "whiner's" !!!!!!!

Enjoy it's a great stay.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:42 am

Forgive me - we are relatively new Diamond Members...what is the special services desk? (Assuming since I don't know, I probably don't have access...)

Originally Posted by edgewood49
If you have access to "special services desk" they seem to be able to get it 90% of the time. PHV is very accommodating even to us American's, except of course the "whiner's" !!!!!!!

Enjoy it's a great stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.