Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by mzrn
So interestingly enough, I had a different Toto, so it seems like they have a grab bag of different models.

Same functionality as yours but different control panel and the seat wasn't nearly as... blocky... Also, different users?! :O
Yeah the seat was kinda blocky, so the ergonomics didn't seem quite right to me.

I guess this seat wouldn't pass muster in the parts of Asia where fancy toilet seats are common. It doesn't auto-flush, you have to lift up the seat (but not the cover) yourself for the boys taking a piss, you can't flush from the remote, it doesn't play music, and the seat felt a little too warm for me.

However, no complaints from me as getting one of these outside of Asia is always a very pleasant surprise!
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Any recent experience with the hotel's car service? I used the bus last time from CDG, and it was fairly easy, but just thought I'd consider the car service (E-class, just my wife and I). Anyone use the hostess as well?

On an unrelated note, I just thought I'd share (since it's being discussed just up thread) that I booked 5 nights via C+P w/ DSU upgrade this morning for next Aug.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by laxsnaogg
Any recent experience with the hotel's car service? I used the bus last time from CDG, and it was fairly easy, but just thought I'd consider the car service (E-class, just my wife and I). Anyone use the hostess as well?

On an unrelated note, I just thought I'd share (since it's being discussed just up thread) that I booked 5 nights via C+P w/ DSU upgrade this morning for next Aug.
If you have no problem with the high cost it's nice. we have gone from that to the bus to the hotel and depending on weather private car back
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Marriott
laxsnaogg, what price is the hotel's car service? I have been using a car service called Blacklane in Europe and the US for a few years and have always found them to be very reliable. The cost from Orly to the Park Hyatt in July was 53 Euros (E Class) and from the hotel to CDG was 62 Euros.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Pierre48
laxsnaogg, what price is the hotel's car service? I have been using a car service called Blacklane in Europe and the US for a few years and have always found them to be very reliable. The cost from Orly to the Park Hyatt in July was 53 Euros (E Class) and from the hotel to CDG was 62 Euros.
Airport

E-Class or Minivan EUR 306 (346)
S-Class EUR 387 (423)
Viano EUR 387 (423)
+ Hostess EUR 115

Disposal

E-Class 3 hours EUR 299 (317)
S-Class 3 hours EUR 339 (357)
Viano 3 hours EUR 339 (357)

(Night prices 8:00PM - 8:00AM)
Old Sep 20, 2015, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Airport

E-Class or Minivan EUR 306 (346)
S-Class EUR 387 (423)
Viano EUR 387 (423)
+ Hostess EUR 115

Disposal

E-Class 3 hours EUR 299 (317)
S-Class 3 hours EUR 339 (357)
Viano 3 hours EUR 339 (357)

(Night prices 8:00PM - 8:00AM)
A pretty Euro penny indeed.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Yeah, but good grief, with the RER now up to 10 euros (!), it's tempting to just go the hotel car service route. Less than a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue from room service.

I'm just glad I bought a carnet of 10 RER tickets when they were still 7,65 euros apiece.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:18 am

I usally take the Roissybus to the airport. It was just €11 and a very comfortable 5 minute walk from the hotel in brilliant autumn weather, and without any of the transfers that would have been necessary on the RER.

Sure it might be a bit odd for those who pay €900 a night for this hotel then scrimp on transport, but I thought the bus was a really good value option and would do it again. (I paid with points, so the oxymoronic behavior doesn't apply to me!)
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:33 am

Clearly there is a lot of middle ground between the RER (I don't mind the principle of using public transport, but I swear I could have walked faster than the speed it seems to travel) and the utterly insane prices charged by the PHV.

The taxis are too much of a lottery as to what car you get, but Uber and Blacklane really make compelling arguments for taking a reasonably luxurious car to/from the airport at perfectly agreeable prices.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by carmy
I usally take the Roissybus to the airport. It was just €11 and a very comfortable 5 minute walk from the hotel in brilliant autumn weather, and without any of the transfers that would have been necessary on the RER.

Sure it might be a bit odd for those who pay €900 a night for this hotel then scrimp on transport, but I thought the bus was a really good value option and would do it again. (I paid with points, so the oxymoronic behavior doesn't apply to me!)
Or me! We do the same thing.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
Clearly there is a lot of middle ground between the RER (I don't mind the principle of using public transport, but I swear I could have walked faster than the speed it seems to travel) and the utterly insane prices charged by the PHV.
It is ridiculously expensive, I agree. But in line with other Parisian palace hotels. The rates are to be expected and accepted by many guests for peace of mind, latest generation vehicles and professional driver + amenities.

Do not forget that for many suites (or Virtuoso bookings) one-way and sometimes even return airport transfers are comped by many hotels, including PHV. Do negotiate.

The best hotels have their own fleet of cars, but to be honest, I am not sure this is the case with PHV. Might be a subcontractor. Anyone knows? Would be disappointing considering the rates, since I tend to ask driver about ongoing events at the hotel and the likes on the way.

Some guests (Vip1+) go through the hotel to arrange for vehicle(s) 24hrs a day to ensure safety (of guest and entourage in some cases), where special rates apply and money is not a limiting factor to begin with.

In Paris however, Blacklane is excellent and reliable. Better off having a wonderful dinner for the money spent.

Of course there's always the old discussion if booking these services results in over the top upgrades and treatment, I'd suggest the according thread in the luxury hotel forum or various magazines for insight -or gossip. (start here or here)

Last edited by scented; Sep 20, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:08 pm

It is ridiculously expensive, I agree. But in line with other Parisian palace hotels. The rates are to be expected and accepted by many guests for peace of mind, latest generation vehicles and professional driver + amenities.

Do not forget that for many suites (or Virtuoso bookings) one-way and sometimes even return airport transfers are comped by many hotels, including PHV. Do negotiate.

The best hotels have their own fleet of cars, but to be honest, I am not sure this is the case with PHV. Might be a subcontractor. Anyone knows? Would be disappointing considering the rates, since I tend to ask driver about ongoing events at the hotel and the likes on the way.

Some guests (Vip1+) go through the hotel to arrange for vehicle(s) 24hrs a day to ensure safety (of guest and entourage in some cases), where special rates apply and money is not a limiting factor to begin with.

In Paris however, Blacklane is excellent and reliable. Better off having a wonderful dinner for the money spent.

Of course there's always the old discussion if booking these services results in over the top upgrades and treatment, I'd suggest the according thread in the luxury hotel forum or various magazines for insight -or gossip. (start here or here)
PHV sun contracts and they do not comp cars at less to my knowledge and I stay there often, been Diamond for ever and a day as well as booked into suites There are few left that do. Park Hyatt Chicago does, Guam does
Old Sep 20, 2015, 5:21 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Please send your stay detail to us via [email protected] if you are still at the hotel as we would like to help further.

Best Regards,

Thim - Guest Relations
Old Oct 15, 2015, 2:37 pm

The best hotels have their own fleet of cars, but to be honest, I am not sure this is the case with PHV. Might be a subcontractor. Anyone knows? Would be disappointing considering the rates, since I tend to ask driver about ongoing events at the hotel and the likes on the way...
I am at the hotel now and it seems like they must be subcontracting. I paid almost 400 euro for the transfer from the airport because my wife has a fracture in her foot that is healing (she has to wear a special boot), and I figured that was the best way to have a smooth transition to the hotel. Unfortunately we arrived during the police protest and the streets around the hotel were closed. The driver had to leave us on a corner a few blocks away with our luggage. He had to call the hotel and explain to them what was going on. He told us the hotel was going to send someone to meet us to help us with our luggage but no one did. Not the hotels fault (or mine) that there was a protest, but there was bad communication between the hotel and driver (and us). I have to think there would have been better communication between the hotel and driver if he worked for the hotel.
But, it is an extremely expensive service even when it goes well.

I was a huge fan of this hotel, but for whatever reason this visit has not been nearly as good as when we have stayed here before. They definitely seem to be understaffed and the staff that is here seems overwhelmed. Really poor service in many ways so far and we are only 2 days in to an 8 day stay.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Travlur
I am at the hotel now and it seems like they must be subcontracting. I paid almost 400 euro for the transfer from the airport because my wife has a fracture in her foot that is healing (she has to wear a special boot), and I figured that was the best way to have a smooth transition to the hotel. Unfortunately we arrived during the police protest and the streets around the hotel were closed. The driver had to leave us on a corner a few blocks away with our luggage. He had to call the hotel and explain to them what was going on. He told us the hotel was going to send someone to meet us to help us with our luggage but no one did. Not the hotels fault (or mine) that there was a protest, but there was bad communication between the hotel and driver (and us). I have to think there would have been better communication between the hotel and driver if he worked for the hotel.
But, it is an extremely expensive service even when it goes well.

I was a huge fan of this hotel, but for whatever reason this visit has not been nearly as good as when we have stayed here before. They definitely seem to be understaffed and the staff that is here seems overwhelmed. Really poor service in many ways so far and we are only 2 days in to an 8 day stay.
Thats not good to hear. while Paris Taxis are notoriously known for over charging I would ask to speak the the manager at the PHV and ask him if there is anything he would suggest Hopefully you have a receipt so you can complain. Parisians love to strike so that's no real surprise. Sorry to hear hope the rest of your stay goes well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.