Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2024, 10:15 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Great the hotel looks to still be able to perform - even if irregularly.

And Americans, please stop ordering avocado toast in Paris. It is just almost never going to work out well for you.
Very bizarre to frame Americans as the leaders of the avocado toast movement around the world. (I'm also sure there are plenty of places in Paris that serve wonderful avocado toast.)
Old Feb 7, 2024, 5:37 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by steveholt
Very bizarre to frame Americans as the leaders of the avocado toast movement around the world. (I'm also sure there are plenty of places in Paris that serve wonderful avocado toast.)
It was Bill Granger of Bill’s who first put this on a cafe menu and is Australian. He recently passed away.

https://www.smh.com.au/goodfood/recipes/how-to-make-bill-granger-s-original-and-best-avocado-toast-20231227-p5ettt.html
Old Feb 7, 2024, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter

And Americans, please stop ordering avocado toast in Paris. It is just almost never going to work out well for you.
Originally Posted by m0hamed
It was Bill Granger of Bill’s who first put this on a cafe menu and is Australian. He recently passed away.

https://www.smh.com.au/goodfood/reci...27-p5ettt.html
There are two great luxuries in being American:
  1. Ordering whatever the hell we want for breakfast
  2. Baselessly claiming ownership over things someone else created
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia

I'm not sure about that, but it seems in a place with a million butter choices, not such a great idea.
Old Feb 7, 2024, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by m0hamed

https://www.smh.com.au/goodfood/reci...27-p5ettt.html
I'm aware! I'm used to people complaining that Americans want comforts from home when they travel, but avocado toast isn't even a popular dish in America outside of the major cities.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 1:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Aussies definitely started it, but you don't see too many of them in Paris.

I have lived in Paris and am pretty sure there are not plenty of places that serve wonderful avocado toast (there may be 1-2 that I have never heard of, but I doubt it. I never even found a good avocado). Similarly, when in Paris I do not expect my yorkshire pudding to have the right crispness to it. You have to read the room.
Old Feb 8, 2024, 10:11 am

Aussies definitely started it, but you don't see too many of them in Paris.

I have lived in Paris and am pretty sure there are not plenty of places that serve wonderful avocado toast (there may be 1-2 that I have never heard of, but I doubt it. I never even found a good avocado). Similarly, when in Paris I do not expect my yorkshire pudding to have the right crispness to it. You have to read the room.
There are more Americans than Australians in Paris, of course, but Americans are not flocking to Paris to get a taste of their beloved avocado toast, because avocado toast is not a beloved dish in America. It would be like saying "And Chinese, please stop ordering avocado toast in Paris."
Old Feb 25, 2024, 2:15 pm

Is it common for front desk/reception to call your room the day before checkout and ask if there is anything they can help with? Haven’t had this happen at other Park Hyatts and was just curious if this was their long winded approach to ask when we’re checking out.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by travelbugging
Is it common for front desk/reception to call your room the day before checkout and ask if there is anything they can help with? Haven’t had this happen at other Park Hyatts and was just curious if this was their long winded approach to ask when we’re checking out.
No, it's excellent pro-active service in case, for example, you need assistance with airport transportation.
I'm pretty sure it would work out well here: https://www.ziaparis.com/

Chef Justin Kent is an American with a French mother whose resume includes l'Arpege. We had dinner at his new(ish) restaurant, Milagro, and it was fantastic. Great location in the 7th.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
1. assuming no such availability pops up, and assuming the hotel does not proactively upgrade to a suite, what is a ballpark expectation for cash upgrade per night (e.g., at check-in) to a deluxe suite or exec suite?

2. any recent reports on the airport arrival service? I am leaning towards booking it because the planeside meeting sounds amazing, especially since I'll have a 2-year-old in tow.

3. assuming I fork over $$$($) for a paid suite upgrade, what would be the recommendation for a quiet room (i.e. the least street noise) or quiet nook within the room in which to place the crib for the 2-year-old?
As an update, I am here now. A week before arrival, Édouard reached out and asked preferences and some other things. I had found SUA availability (for 6 nights, not for 3, but the Hyatt Twitter DM team was able to get it applied for just my 3 nights and had updated the reservation to include my kid). So we had a Park King Suite booked on points+SUA, but I asked for any paid upgrade offers to a proper suite with a separate bedroom. He offered an executive suite with view for 650/night or a Prestige for 850. I agreed to the 650 (essentially I view it as paying 650/night and using the 40k points and the SUA as a copay). The suite is beautiful, very tall ceilings, lots of mirrors, extremely quiet and dark with the blackout shades (ny 2 year old has been napping midday without making a peep). A nice Médoc and a bowl of exotic fruits (lychees and berries, etc -- for the kid, per his preferences) greeted us along with a signature palmier.

The planeside VIP arrival service was seamless and very welcome after a 14.5-hour flight from Korea. I would do it again for sure.

Also, OT, but we walked through the St. Honoré market this morning and there were indeed some beautiful looking (and feeling) avocados for sale, along with some of the best looking long-stemmed artichokes I've ever seen. So good avocados do exist here!
travelbugging likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks for the info on the paid upgrade. Higher than I expected. It was 400 euros offered (320 eventually accepted) in September 21.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.