FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

AVIZ Aug 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

MOD NOTE: Older Reviews and Comments on This Property May Be Found At http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...-8-2011-a.html

Just returned from our first trip to Paris and first stay at PHV. What a great hotel; room was beautiful (Park King Deluxe), hotel staff was fantastic, and the location can't be beat. We ended up taking a cab both ways - came to around 46 Euro each way. Would like to use try the Roissy bus on our next trip, saw it around town several times. Hopefully, I'll be play on the next trip and get to experience the much raved about breakfast.

RichardInSF Aug 18, 2011 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by dinasaur (Post 16943149)
A question that I've been meaning to ask for a while:

We had a lovely stay at PH Vendome back in the spring. I sent two of the hotel stationery postcards back to the states, taking advantage of the front desk's offer to mail them without my needing to purchase postage. They both arrived within a week... without any post markings of any kind.

Has anyone else experienced this? How was my mail delivered? Was a fluke? Owl post?

Hi Dinasaur and welcome to FT! I am guessing it was a lucky fluke.

But while we're on the topic of your post, if you had magic at your disposal, why the heck should you require owls to move the mail?

speedytimmy Aug 20, 2011 8:25 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 16936378)
Another vote for Roissybus. Drivers even have a variety of alternative routes which they can use to get around Paris traffic. It's a good service, reasonably priced. I'd generally pick it over the RER.

I would add a vote for the Roissy bus but leave ample time for not only traffic on the way to CDG but for the fact that CDG isn't the most efficient airport to navigate through.

Pickles Aug 20, 2011 11:33 am

Originally Posted by speedytimmy (Post 16958988)
I would add a vote for the Roissy bus but leave ample time for not only traffic on the way to CDG but for the fact that CDG isn't the most efficient airport to navigate through.

Second that. CDG makes JFK feel like Changi.

Thunderroad Aug 21, 2011 4:13 pm

Question conc3erning French Open

My wife and I might want to visit the PHV on points for a few nights (likely three) toward the end of next May. The French Open starts on May 27. We might have a bit of wiggle room in terms of our schedule, departing as early Saturday, May 26 or as late as Monday, May 28. I understand from a couple of posts on this thread that the hotel can be quite crowded due to the guests coming to see the Open. In terms of getting a chance at better rooms beyond the standard (using points or $$) or any other perks, does anyone have any sense of whether it would make more sense to shoot for May 23-26 as opposed to May 25-28? Or is any difference not worth planning our schedule around?

Thanks for any advice!

Firewind Aug 21, 2011 4:42 pm

Thunderroad, I'd suggest that you try hard (keep checking) for all of those nights and upgrades for all of them, or as many as you can get, at the earliest time, and then trim to what you really want before the cancellation deadline arrives. Then you could revolve the stay dates around the upgrade dates. The earlier that you get the upgrade, and the earlier toward 5.23 that you establish it, the more likely that others will fall into place. If the upgrades are really important to you, it's worth the work. However, upgrades at the PH Vendome aren't a big deal, IMO. As is clear above, you're very unlikely to be disappointed. :)

RichardInSF Aug 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I've stayed at this hotel, unknowingly, during the French Open -- I only realized it when I saw Tsonga checking out the day after he lost -- and it seemed to me that the suites weren't all taken, if for no other reason than I got one. So I'd say you have a chance.

dinasaur Aug 23, 2011 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 16951576)
Hi Dinasaur and welcome to FT! I am guessing it was a lucky fluke.

But while we're on the topic of your post, if you had magic at your disposal, why the heck should you require owls to move the mail?

Thanks for the welcome! It's just too weird to me that two separate postcards both made it through. We may never know (until the next PH Vendome stay!) I have an upcoming stay at the PH Milan, so I'll be giving their mail services a try as well, for sure.

...I'm putting way too much thought into your question about owls and magic! I have some theories, but none of them are remotely on-topic, so I'll have to let it go.

cazic99 Aug 24, 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 16966498)
Thunderroad, I'd suggest that you try hard (keep checking) for all of those nights and upgrades for all of them, or as many as you can get, at the earliest time, and then trim to what you really want before the cancellation deadline arrives. Then you could revolve the stay dates around the upgrade dates. The earlier that you get the upgrade, and the earlier toward 5.23 that you establish it, the more likely that others will fall into place. If the upgrades are really important to you, it's worth the work. However, upgrades at the PH Vendome aren't a big deal, IMO. As is clear above, you're very unlikely to be disappointed. :)

How does one get 'Upgrades ahead of time"?

tjbrooks Aug 27, 2011 11:58 am

Award Night with Child

Has anyone booked a room on points for 2 adults and a child (3yo)?
The hotel said it would be fine via email, but GP will only book a suite with points. But GP also told me that no normal rooms were available at all (completely wrong, called them out on it).
I would go for a suite, but the base level suite isn't worth the extra 33K IMO (its only marginally bigger, no extra amenities). They allow a kid in the standard room type for revenue bookings, albeit with a surcharge. The GP agent called the hotel, and they said that the room wouldn't fit three. The call to the hotel only took one minute. I was thinking of calling again, but I hate being that guy. Anyone here have experience with kids here?

MikeFromTokyo Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 17006619)
Has anyone booked a room on points for 2 adults and a child (3yo)?
The hotel said it would be fine via email, but GP will only book a suite with points. But GP also told me that no normal rooms were available at all (completely wrong, called them out on it).
I would go for a suite, but the base level suite isn't worth the extra 33K IMO (its only marginally bigger, no extra amenities). They allow a kid in the standard room type for revenue bookings, albeit with a surcharge. The GP agent called the hotel, and they said that the room wouldn't fit three. The call to the hotel only took one minute. I was thinking of calling again, but I hate being that guy. Anyone here have experience with kids here?

The Deluxe Rooms and above should be fine for two adults and one child in a roll away bed.

I suggest calling directly to the property and speaking with the reservations department.

laxsnaogg Aug 29, 2011 8:16 am

Just finished a 4 night award stay (8/21-8/25). Used my 2 chase suite night awards, and points for the other 2 nights.

I was given the park suite king for all for nights (without asking), and the front desk was well versed on breakfast for Diamonds (I had read some mixed experiences in this thread). They made it clear (without me asking) that I could order the american breakfast in the room, or visit the buffet downstairs. As others have stated, it was excellent.

They mentioned that there was construction going on, but I did not hear or see anything at all during my stay.

All of the staff were friendly and spoke perfect English. To confirm another point discussed in this thread, I don't feel that I was treated any differently for being an award guest vs a paying guest...I couldn't have been any happier with my stay.

tjbrooks Aug 29, 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 17007172)
The Deluxe Rooms and above should be fine for two adults and one child in a roll away bed.

I suggest calling directly to the property and speaking with the reservations department.

I called back to Gold Passport to just book a suite award (even though it's a waste at 33K, looks like it's just a regular room with a couch). The agent said it would be no problem to book a standard room and have a crib/rollaway. But of course when I got the confirmation, it's for 2 adults, 0 children. I realize now it says in the room descriptions "no rollaway", but good ol' "usable.net" makes that impossible to see on a mobile device.
Luckily when I tried to book my Air Tahiti Nui tickets (after my invalid reservation) they had spelled my wife and son's names wrong, so I'm waiting for that to get done still. So I'll most likely just not add on a quick Paris trip. I have a feeling my type is not wanted at this hotel.

krazieman Aug 31, 2011 7:45 am

Staying at the hotel now.. room wasn't ready until 3pm and no Diamond amenity.
Should I inquire about the Diamond amenity?

ronbo83 Aug 31, 2011 9:57 am

Originally Posted by krazieman (Post 17028349)
Staying at the hotel now.. room wasn't ready until 3pm and no Diamond amenity.
Should I inquire about the Diamond amenity?

As I recall, they brought us a 375 ml bottle of red wine and a small box of chocolates on the first or second night of our trip. We did not mention anything. I would give it the evening and then ask about it the next morning. I am surprised they made you wait until 3 PM to check-in, especially in August which is a very slow month for Paris.