FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

krazieman Nov 13, 2011 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by boifromtroy (Post 17443151)
Would anyone recall whether they have ESPN America in the rooms here? Don't want to miss my Trojans next Saturday....

There's no ESPN, but you get the ...... Star sports. On the plus side, it'll save you from watching the Trojans. :P
Although I can't talk - my 'Horns are awful this year.

Thunderroad Nov 15, 2011 12:40 am

Gare du Nord?

I've seen a few posts mentioning the Gare du Nord as not being too far from the PH. Does anyone have a rough estimate of what a taxi would cost? And if we decided to connect to the metro, how easy is that and is the nearest stop walking distance from the PH? FWIW, we would be traveling light, with only carry-on wheelie luggage.

Thanks for any help.

Firewind Nov 15, 2011 1:11 am

Can't speak to the taxi from Gare du Nord. I wouldn't walk it. (Well, I have, but I was wandering, so it must be a pretty reasonable taxi ride.) The Metro Opera station is close enough to be a nice walk. Too short for a taxi. The Roissybus stop is about 150m beyond. Metro Madeleine and Pyramides stations are walkable with a rollaboard, IMO, but I can't think of a reason not to use Opera.

Incidentally - and it's been mentioned a ways above - the CDG Hyatt's express shuttle stops near Pyramides. Again, a reasonable walk that several of us have done. But in the rain, Madeleine, Pyramides and the Roissybus stop are not pleasant walks. Advantage: Opera.

Thunderroad Nov 15, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks very much! This is useful. FWIW, I should have mentioned that we'd be taking the train from London, hence my focus on Gare du Nord.

TMOTEE Nov 15, 2011 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 17452130)
I've seen a few posts mentioning the Gare du Nord as not being too far from the PH. Does anyone have a rough estimate of what a taxi would cost? And if we decided to connect to the metro, how easy is that and is the nearest stop walking distance from the PH? FWIW, we would be traveling light, with only carry-on wheelie luggage.

Thanks for any help.

I have taken a taxi from Gare du Nord to the PHV several times. It is less than 10 Euros with the tip.

RichardInSF Nov 15, 2011 10:49 am

Originally Posted by TMOTEE (Post 17453662)
I have taken a taxi from Gare du to the PHV several times. It is less than 10 Euros with the tip.

Same for me. The main problem is the queue when a train arrives. The queue is long because the loading mechanism is not very efficient, usually not because there aren't enough taxis.

Thunderroad Nov 15, 2011 10:50 am

Thanks for this additional info, folks. This is good to know.

PETERPNYC Nov 16, 2011 1:26 am

Originally Posted by tsg20 (Post 17404702)
Thanks very much for this tip - in fact I asked my private line rep to look into it, and she managed to "pull some strings" and get exactly the dates that I wanted.

Private rep from HYATT or Chase

DHalltheway Nov 16, 2011 11:52 am

Pardon my ignorance, I have not stayed at this hotel before, but I'd like to ask what makes it so special that many regard it to be on par with the PHT? Is it just service or the rooms themselves are that special (was looking at the photos and didn't see anything to rave home about).

I am wondering out loud because I am thinking of going to Paris next year, and am deciding between the PHV and HRM.

mcavin Nov 16, 2011 12:37 pm

€49 Credit/pax/day?

It's my undersatnding that Diamonds staying at this property are given a complimentary "full american breakfast" for each person on the reservation (in my case, 2x). This is valued at €49 per person, per day.

Is anyone aware if this can be waived in exchange for a €49 credit that can be spent on other options (e.g., other food & beverage, or even the spa)?

Firewind Nov 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 17461832)
I am wondering out loud because I am thinking of going to Paris next year, and am deciding between the PHV and HRM.

Depending on whom you're with and the purpose of your visit - try them both! They're not inconvenient to each other. I suggest that you'll get so many subjective answers here (there already are) that only you can decide. And, after all, how often do you do this particular trip?

laxsnaogg Nov 16, 2011 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by mcavin (Post 17462097)
It's my undersatnding that Diamonds staying at this property are given a complimentary "full american breakfast" for each person on the reservation (in my case, 2x). This is valued at €49 per person, per day.

Is anyone aware if this can be waived in exchange for a €49 credit that can be spent on other options (e.g., other food & beverage, or even the spa)?

I received the breakfast as Diamond in August, its an impressive spread (there are pictures on this thread).

I don't know the answer to your question; but its my understanding that the breakfast is provided to Diamonds because they do not have a Regency Club...If that is in fact the case (which I'm sure it will take other FT'ers no less than 30 seconds to correct me) I wouldn't think it would be interchangable for spa credit, etc...(nor would I even think it fair to ask--but to each his own)

laxsnaogg Nov 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17463626)
Depending on whom you're with and the purpose of your visit - try them both! They're not inconvenient to each other. I suggest that you'll get so many subjective answers here (there already are) that only you can decide. And, after all, how often do you do this particular trip?

+1, especially on Firewind's point about it being subjective.

That said, I would just add that from my recent experience, I was most impressed by the location, as well as the service (rooms are nice, but nothing special). Specifically, the staff spoke perfect English (a real plus for those of us that can't speak nor understand a word of French!) and went out of there way to make sure we were taken care of. I've been to my share of upscale Hyatts, but this property stands out in terms of friendliness, and helpfulness of the staff.

DHalltheway Nov 16, 2011 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17463626)

First time back in Paris in about 10 years?:D

Either myself or with family, not sure yet as I am in the planning stages.

Originally Posted by laxsnaogg (Post 17463835)
+1, especially on Firewind's point about it being subjective.

That said, I would just add that from my recent experience, I was most impressed by the location, as well as the service (rooms are nice, but nothing special). Specifically, the staff spoke perfect English (a real plus for those of us that can't speak nor understand a word of French!) and went out of there way to make sure we were taken care of. I've been to my share of upscale Hyatts, but this property stands out in terms of friendliness, and helpfulness of the staff.

I appreciate you views.

The reason why I am asking the question is because many constantly rave about the PHV as being comparable to the PHT. I've seen most of the PHT in the movie lost in translation before even setting foot in it so I know what to expect. In addition, I frequent Tokyo alot too so I had a certain level of expectation already.

However, I look at the photo of the rooms on the website PHV didn't strike me as on par with the PHT (Hard Product).
Additionally, the level of service in Europe for me has been very hit and miss even at high end hotels (Soft Product).

So I asked myself what I am missing when people say the two hotels are comparable and decided to think out loud hoping to get an answer that would satisfy my curiosity.

PETERPNYC Nov 17, 2011 3:46 am

Well I have made some progress so my obsession is much more realistic now.

I got my 2 standard room free nights posted from Hyatt after first spend and mid cycle without the bill either bring generated or paid.I was told my awards would show up in second cycle but they came as I said very quickly

I have the 50 K UR and am waiting prolly a few more days till my wife meets her spend for 2 free nights . I was told her awards would show up one billing cycle after her spend was met but Chase was much faster than that for me and hopefully for her also .

I would prolly like to stay at PHV for 4-5 days April preferably may 2012.

Should I book 2 Nights using my certs and transfer 22 k UR to Hyatt for the 3 rd night , and then hope I can add on when her free nights show up ?

Are reservations made using free nights changeable or cancelable?

Should I look for flights EX ATH first or get room first ?

Or should I wait till I get her free nights to start . I have heard it is difficult and then heard it is easy to get rooms here and I don't know what to think.