FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

MikeFromTokyo Nov 17, 2011 4:33 am

Originally Posted by DHalltheway (Post 17464402)
The reason why I am asking the question is because many constantly rave about the PHV as being comparable to the PHT. I've seen most of the PHT in the movie lost in translation before even setting foot in it so I know what to expect. In addition, I frequent Tokyo alot too so I had a certain level of expectation already.

However, I look at the photo of the rooms on the website PHV didn't strike me as on par with the PHT (Hard Product).
Additionally, the level of service in Europe for me has been very hit and miss even at high end hotels (Soft Product).

So I asked myself what I am missing when people say the two hotels are comparable and decided to think out loud hoping to get an answer that would satisfy my curiosity.

The two hotels of course cannot be compared architecturally, as one is at the top of three interconnected towers designed by Kenzo Tange and built in 1994, while the other is a wonderful contemporary luxury hotel built inside of several existing Haussmannian buildings in Paris.

Both are considered to be among the top hotels in their respective cities, which says a lot considering the competition.

Personally I place Park Hyatt Vendome in a class slightly below the very top Paris hotels, such as Four Seasons Geroge V, Hôtel Plaza Athénée, and Hôtel Le Bristol. For those who prefer a more contemporary hotel however, it is currently the best choice in Paris.

peteropny Nov 17, 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17466418)
I would prolly like to stay at PHV for 4-5 days April preferably may 2012.

Should I book 2 Nights using my certs and transfer 22 k UR to Hyatt for the 3 rd night , and then hope I can add on when her free nights show up ?

Are reservations made using free nights changeable or cancelable?

Should I look for flights EX ATH first or get room first ?

Or should I wait till I get her free nights to start . I have heard it is difficult and then heard it is easy to get rooms here and I don't know what to think.

Since your wife's free nights should show up within a couple of weeks, I would wait until they do to do the bookings.

Yes award reservations are changeable/cancelable within normal cancellation policies (usually day before arrival).

Flights ATH-CDG - can't help you - are you looking for award seats and how available are they?

PETERPNYC Nov 18, 2011 3:55 am

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 17467085)
Since your wife's free nights should show up within a couple of weeks, I would wait until they do to do the bookings.

Yes award reservations are changeable/cancelable within normal cancellation policies (usually day before arrival).

Flights ATH-CDG - can't help you - are you looking for award seats and how available are they?

Wow that Hyatt program is fast , My wife got a welcome to hystt gold email statement and 1 night has already posted. I feel confident the second night will post as soon as we spend another $400 which might be today.

Is the fifth night that I want va 22 k UR ALSO changeable cancelable? That is trickier because I have to send the 22 K UR to Hyatt and they are not returnable. Does anyone think the Hyatt GP DESK might help, or the PHV Reservstion dept.

Someone mentioned that CO had partners that fly ATH CDG for 25 K , and AA partners with someone that I could fly ATH LHR CDG for 29 K worst case scenario.

This trip is starting to look real to me thanks to you guys.:cool:

tjbrooks Nov 18, 2011 5:52 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17473374)
Is the fifth night that I want va 22 k UR ALSO changeable cancelable? That is trickier because I have to send the 22 K UR to Hyatt and they are not returnable. Does anyone think the Hyatt GP DESK might help, or the PHV Reservstion dept.

Yes, you can cancel/change.

CANCELLATION POLICY: 1 DAY PRIOR ARRIVAL UNTIL 3PM HOTEL TIME TO AVOID 1 NIGHT CXL FEE
Just use Hyatt.com to make the reservation. UR transfers to Hyatt are instant.

SeamasterLux Nov 18, 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 17466544)
The two hotels of course cannot be compared architecturally, as one is at the top of three interconnected towers designed by Kenzo Tange and built in 1994, while the other is a wonderful contemporary luxury hotel built inside of several existing Haussmannian buildings in Paris.

Personally I place Park Hyatt Vendome in a class slightly below the very top Paris hotels, such as Four Seasons Geroge V, Hôtel Plaza Athénée, and Hôtel Le Bristol. For those who prefer a more contemporary hotel however, it is currently the best choice in Paris.

+1 Definitely agree with you on the fact that it's difficult to compare both hotels.

I also agree on the fact that the Four Seasons George V and le Bristol are better than the PHV but I disagree totally for the PlazaAthenee. Maybe they treated you well because you are a foreigner but if you are French, my my, you just want to slap them. I have never experienced such a rude staff and not only once, but at least 5 times.

peteropny Nov 18, 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17473374)

Someone mentioned that CO had partners that fly ATH CDG for 25 K , and AA partners with someone that I could fly ATH LHR CDG for 29 K worst case scenario.

Just look and see if the base room Park Queen / Twin (not Deluxe) is available for revenue stays on your dates, it should be available for awards.

CO miles should get you on Aegean (Star Alliance) - AA miles would get you on BA (oneworld).

PETERPNYC Nov 19, 2011 2:02 am

Originally Posted by tjbrooks (Post 17473658)
Yes, you can cancel/change.

Just use Hyatt.com to make the reservation. UR transfers to Hyatt are instant.

Does the Hyatt.com make the transfer of 22K UR points also, or do I have to initiate that ?

Why is it I thought I read that once award reservation was made it was not cancelable . Maybe I read that you can not change the property once res is made.

You guys are certain of free award nights being changeable cancelable in case of health reasons.

I have a 99 year old father , so that's always a fear of mine

MikeFromTokyo Nov 19, 2011 2:20 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17479114)
Does the Hyatt.com make the transfer of 22K UR points also, or do I have to initiate that ?

Why is it I thought I read that once award reservation was made it was not cancelable . Maybe I read that you can not change the property once res is made.

You guys are certain of free award nights being changeable cancelable in case of health reasons.

I have a 99 year old father , so that's always a fear of mine

I'm not familiar with UR points, but I am sure that the transfer has to be requested from UR (Chase?). Hyatt has nothing to do with that process. This is the case with all inter-program point transfers I know of.

Award nights with Hyatt have similar cancellation policies to revenue nights- in the case of PH Vendome it is 24 hours before check-in.

You are free to cancel or modify your booking for ANY reason until 24 hours before check-in. You will not be asked any questions, and no "excuse" is necessary. When an award reservation is cancelled, the points will be redeposited in your account.

PETERPNYC Nov 19, 2011 3:34 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 17479147)
I'm not familiar with UR points, but I am sure that the transfer has to be requested from UR (Chase?). Hyatt has nothing to do with that process. This is the case with all inter-program point transfers I know of.

Award nights with Hyatt have similar cancellation policies to revenue nights- in the case of PH Vendome it is 24 hours before check-in.

You are free to cancel or modify your booking for ANY reason until 24 hours before check-in. You will not be asked any questions, and no "excuse" is necessary. When an award reservation is cancelled, the points will be redeposited in your account.

I just DL the Hyatt app to my iPad and searched and found 5 nights at end of April and also first 2 thurs Tuesday stays in may. Need to transfer UR to wifes account .

Waiting for one more night then I have to transfer 22k UR it hyatt for 5 th night and wife's miles .

I don't see an award section on iPad app. So will book via Hyatt GP. IS first week or second week of msy a nice time to go ? End f April still rainy I think

peteropny Nov 19, 2011 7:34 am

If those dates work for you, why don't you go ahead and transfer the Chase UR points and book the 4 nights - and book the remaining 1 night in a "few days" when the other 1 night show up in your wife's account - it would have to be separate reservations anyways - just ask that they be linked so you don't have to switch rooms (remind at check-in).

I don't think we can predict weather and shouldn't be really different anyways since it is only a week or 2 different. We were there in April 2003 a few days before Easter (flew back on Easter on the Concorde), and weather was fine.

stevens397 Nov 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Peterpnyc-

You will get all of your nights and it will all work out. Then, of course, you have to get there.

I pray that if you have any intention of trying to use British Airways miles, you don't start asking questions on the BA board! The are not as kind and generous as the people on this board. I shudder to think how they would treat you:eek:

PETERPNYC Nov 20, 2011 3:33 am

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17481530)
Peterpnyc-

You will get all of your nights and it will all work out. Then, of course, you have to get there.

I pray that if you have any intention of trying to use British Airways miles, you don't start asking questions on the BA board! The are not as kind and generous as the people on this board. I shudder to think how they would treat you:eek:

ROFLMAO Thanks for that gut wrenching laughter. I am not easily intimidated by people in the physical world. Sure as heck am not going to be afraid of a bunch of Internet tough guys .I was raised near , and hung out in Harlem
NY so the BA guys should be no problem . LMAO

stevens397 Nov 20, 2011 7:26 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17484138)
ROFLMAO Thanks for that gut wrenching laughter. I am not easily intimidated by people in the physical world. Sure as heck am not going to be afraid of a bunch of Internet tough guys .I was raised near , and hung out in Harlem
NY so the BA guys should be no problem . LMAO

My money's on you!

Thunderroad Nov 20, 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17481530)
Peterpnyc-

LOL! But OTOH let's be fair. True, the BA forum can be tough on folks when they raise issues about things like the incredible extra fees to use BA miles. But I've also found lots of participants there extremely helpful, even with the sometimes stupid questions I ask.

tsg20 Nov 21, 2011 3:33 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17458929)
Private rep from HYATT or Chase

sorry, just saw this - Hyatt private line rep.