FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

PETERPNYC Oct 17, 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17280883)
1. The standard room is 22,000 and the Park Suite ( a lovely Junior Suite) is 33,000. It is NOT hard to redeem - rooms are usually available when you go.

2. The ONLY way to upgrade your free Visa nights is either by being a Hyatt Diamond or by paying the hotel the difference in price. That said, the difference can be less than what you see on the internet site. I got the Capital One card awhile ago (as did my wife) when we got the 100,000 miles match. We were able back then to redeem the miles for a total of $3600 in Hyatt certificates. The rate for an Executive Suite is 990 Euro but my Virtuoso travel agent was able, working directly with the hotel, to get a rate of 795 Euro with a fourth night free. It is possible a good agent can call the hotel, explain you have four free nights and see what the best deal you can get is.
3. You said you don't know what you would do with the free nights - are you kidding??!! You could purchase 26,000 Hyatt points for a bit over $600 which would give you enough for the four free suite nights using the Chase UR points. Then you would have do figure out where to go with the free nights. I can assure you, if you really, really put your mind to it, you might find a nice place! We have had some lovely stays at the PH Washington DC and it's a great city to be a tourist in (our son and his family live there). In fact, this might be my
preferred option - $600+ for four nights in a suite in Paris and four nights somewhere else - a pretty good yield!

Thank you for your response. It s exactly the reason I asked the question in the first place . I did not know I could purchase 26,000 Hyatt points for $600 and where would I do that ?

I was concerned that the certificates expire in one year and besides my two trips to Greece each year and my wife's one trip to the USA , we usually travel frequently throughout Greece and the Islands so I limit our European capital trips to one a year .

Having the option to buy miles/points solves the problem of getting both the certs and the 100k UR POINTS ( if both cards get approved ) which we could transfer to the airline of our choice?

Is the virtuoso agent an employee of Chase UR and do they help with redemptions of free night certificates ? Also I have AMEX platinum non branded personal card , and I have never used their travel dept. I did not realize they might help me redeem certificates

MikeFromTokyo Oct 17, 2011 3:47 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17286205)
Is the virtuoso agent an employee of Chase UR and do they help with redemptions of free night certificates ? Also I have AMEX platinum non branded personal card , and I have never used their travel dept. I did not realize they might help me redeem certificates

I don't want to take this thread further off topic, but will just point out that a Virtuoso agent will very likely NOT be willing or able to help with the redemption of award nights, as these are not commissionable to the travel agent. Virtuoso is a luxury travel consortium, and has nothing to do with Chase or Amex.

As this is the review thread for the PH Vendome, further discussion about credit card offers, points, and certificates probably belongs in another thread.

Thunderroad Oct 17, 2011 9:41 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17278275)

Have my heart set on getting wife to Paris , although I personally am not thrilled .

Originally Posted by slocouple (Post 17280639)
Please don't go with trepidation -- take a standard room (and save the additional points for later), and let Paris work her magic with you --- just go with the flow and enjoy the City.

Peter, perhaps I misunderstood this post and your subsequent one, but if you're not thrilled about going to Paris because of the city itself, you might be in for an extremely pleasant surprise. I had that attitude when I took my wife there several years ago (though not to the PH), thinking I was simply taking her there because she'd love it. But I loved it as well. With points and miles still making the world our oyster (at least for the time being), Paris is one of the few places we definitely want to head back to.

OTOH, if your comment was because you weren't sure how your wife would react to a standard room, even at the PH, that's another matter. I recall posts upthread, replying to my own query, to the effect that the difference between the standard room and junior suite there is not that great, but I don't know that from personal experience and in any event we all assess such matters differently.

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17280883)

2. The ONLY way to upgrade your free Visa nights is either by being a Hyatt Diamond or by paying the hotel the difference in price. T

I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong. I believe that you can get Diamond benefits such as a free breakfast if you're staying on Visa nights (or on points, for that matter), but that doesn't include upgrades.

stevens397 Oct 17, 2011 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 17287648)
I hope you're right, but I think you're wrong. I believe that you can get Diamond benefits such as a free breakfast if you're staying on Visa nights (or on points, for that matter), but that doesn't include upgrades.

Peter is talking about free nights so the only way he can get breakfast included is if he is a Diamond Elite. Both AMEX and Virtuoso (and apparently others that I don't know about!) offer free Continental breakfast as an additional amenity but in my case, I won't be needing it. And as many have posted, free breakfast here is a BIG DEAL! 48 Euro per person - last trip we had a late breakfast and an early dinner each day.

As to Peter's question about buying points, here's the link:

https://buy.points.com/PointsPartner...EN&product=BUY

Mike, you're right that these are to most of us, very elementary questions and we are going far afield. But after getting my ... slammed on the BA thread for an innocent question, I'm trying my hardest to be as nice and helpful as possible. Peter - you're overthinking this. We've all been there. It seems daunting. Once you're done, you'll realize how easy it is. Getting a travel agent to help book free hotel tickets??? Takes very, very little time and unlike airline award tickets, much simpler. Good luck.

stevens397 Oct 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Any Diamonds ever reserve an Executive Suite and get an upgrade from that to, say, a Prestige Suite?

lalala Oct 22, 2011 4:32 pm

No, but with my fuji converter, the only place I have been able to successfully charge my phone has been in the bathroom. The outlets in the desks are at such a weird angle it is impossible to use a bulky converter/adaptor.

lalala Oct 22, 2011 4:34 pm

I agree with Missy and had a romantic lunch with her there a few years ago... Hah.

The concierges are amazing at the hotel, just contact them sooner than later.

Firewind Oct 23, 2011 8:17 pm

So much for my (already) blithe suggestions to wander across the place to the Ritz for a drink and a swizzle stick. It's going to close next summer for "more than two years" for renovations. . .

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...,7020480.story

Papa will roll over if they touch his hangout in back.

Wonder if this will affect occupancy/availability at our hangout.

RichardInSF Oct 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17324206)
So much for my (already) blithe suggestions to wander across the place to the Ritz for a drink and a swizzle stick. It's going to close next summer for "more than two years" for renovations. . .

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...,7020480.story

Papa will roll over if they touch his hangout in back.

Wonder if this will affect occupancy/availability at our hangout.

Tend to doubt it will -- with the recent opening of Shangri-La and upcoming addition of the MO.

Robl Oct 28, 2011 8:45 am

Stayed 4 days last week on Chase free nights. Since it was technically 2 stays (though in the same room) we got 2 bottles of wine (took a Chablis for the second bottle) and the nice young woman at the front desk actually sent us 3 boxes of chocolates. Very good location as we walked to the Louve. Went to the Musee d'Orsay one morning to find it closed as they were on strike. For us non-diamonds who don't want to drop 70 euro on breakfast for 2, just walk back north to the Opera square and there is an excellent patissiere opposite the paribas bank where you can get a nice breakfast for 2 for maybe 10 euro or less.
We loved a tiny restaurant we found in the St. Germain district called Bistro d'Henri. The slow cooked lamb in prunes was exceptional.
Took the Roissybus back to the airport and on a Sunday we were in the terminal in 45 minutes.

Firewind Oct 28, 2011 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 17350844)
...Went to the Musee d'Orsay one morning to find it closed as they were on strike...

The thing about the d'Orsay is that a strike might last just an hour. But by then, you're already in the Rodin garden, or staring at Napoleon's tomb. By then, well, the walk from museum to museum wasn't too long, but all the way back? Wouldn't it be nice if the d'Orsay had a website that gives an up-to-date status report? Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to have one that tells how long the lines are there, and at the Louvre etc.? (Half-humor, whole-serious - maybe there already is one...) Anyway, last comment: It is nice to know that if you're into walking, these are walkable.

Robl Oct 28, 2011 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17351166)
The thing about the d'Orsay is that a strike might last just an hour. But by then, you're already in the Rodin garden, or staring at Napoleon's tomb. By then, well, the walk from museum to museum wasn't too long, but all the way back? Wouldn't it be nice if the d'Orsay had a website that gives an up-to-date status report? Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to have one that tells how long the lines are there, and at the Louvre etc.? (Half-humor, whole-serious - maybe there already is one...) Anyway, last comment: It is nice to know that if you're into walking, these are walkable.

Lol. When we saw the d'Orsay was closed we walked to the Rodin Museum! We had purchased an all museum 2 day pass from the concierge. With the pass you avoid all the lines. BTW French strikes are different. there are no pickets (that would be "work") just a sign taped that they are on strike because the museum was expanded and they did not hire more people.

Firewind Oct 28, 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Robl (Post 17352695)
Lol. When we saw the d'Orsay was closed we walked to the Rodin Museum! We had purchased an all museum 2 day pass from the concierge. With the pass you avoid all the lines. BTW French strikes are different. there are no pickets (that would be "work") just a sign taped that they are on strike because the museum was expanded and they did not hire more people.

Right you are. But it's a rare week in Paris that you don't encounter a "manif" aka "manifest" aka "manifestation" aka demonstration. There will be signs and all the other features that you missed. It may not even make the news.

RichardInSF Oct 28, 2011 11:09 pm

There used to be a French site that would list all the upcoming strikes. It was pretty helpful but vanished a few years back, alas.

dhoward Oct 29, 2011 2:29 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 17354514)
There used to be a French site that would list all the upcoming strikes. It was pretty helpful but vanished a few years back, alas.

It wasn't very accurate though, because quite often the guy who updated it would go on strike...