FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

Firewind Sep 24, 2011 9:19 am

PETERPNYC, I believe that you won't be disappointed in the standard room accommodation. What you need to be prepared for, as distinct from the Diamonds who post here, is the price of breakfast, which is very good, but quite pricey. (And so are adult beverages, but they are more optional and thus less of a possible issue. FWIW, if I wanted to pay that price for a glass of wine again, I'd walk over to the Ritz. I digress...)

PETERPNYC Sep 24, 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 17164944)
It would be possible to get the four free nights by getting two CCs, but I don't know how quickly the free nights would become available. If you did manage to secure a reservation for four free nights, it would be possible to pay an upsell to be confirmed in a suite. A free upgrade is unlikely with no status.

I do not think that any airline status or position as a concierge with another company will have any effect on an award reservation at this property.

Having just activating my brand new chase sapphire card one hour ago I asked how long after the 3 k spend was met I would get my points .

The CSR told me 6-8 weeks so Oct. Nov 2011 is out of the question .

I return ATH usually beginning April for 2-3 months. If I got a. Sapphire for my wife , and 2 of the free night Hyatt cards do you think this promo will still be AVAIALABLE for this hotel?

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17165120)
PETERPNYC, I believe that you won't be disappointed in the standard room accommodation. What you need to be prepared for, as distinct from the Diamonds who post here, is the price of breakfast, which is very good, but quite pricey. (And so are adult beverages, but they are more optional and thus less of a possible issue. FWIW, if I wanted to pay that price for a glass of wine again, I'd walk over to the Ritz. I digress...)

I can splurge on breakfast once and a drink won't break me. But I can find a local bar etc for the other times. FWIW I don't drink.

High tea at the RITZ In London is not bad . Just eat a lot of sandwiches and then split a main course for dinner later is what I did

Any way to get diamond without BIS or is it BIR. Butt in room ?

Thx

peteropny Sep 25, 2011 7:29 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17167585)
I return ATH usually beginning April for 2-3 months. If I got a. Sapphire for my wife , and 2 of the free night Hyatt cards do you think this promo will still be AVAIALABLE for this hotel?

Any way to get diamond without BIS or is it BIR. Butt in room ?

Getting a "block" of 8 consecutive nights on award for this property will be tough.

If you have status at any other chain - Hyatt would do a challenge for you.

PETERPNYC Sep 25, 2011 9:55 am

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 17169024)
Getting a "block" of 8 consecutive nights on award for this property will be tough.

If you have status at any other chain - Hyatt would do a challenge for you.

I assume you mean hotel chain. I have a priority club rewards account with what is called an ambassador membership .

Probably means nothing . I can purchase Gold status for $50 and I have 18k points for God knows what ?

Is this worth this and could I get matched to something in hyatt for it to be upgraded to diamond . If I understand correctly Diamonds who apply for Hyatt card get the suites , free breakfast etc

peteropny Sep 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17169591)
I assume you mean hotel chain. I have a priority club rewards account with what is called an ambassador membership .

Probably means nothing . I can purchase Gold status for $50 and I have 18k points for God knows what ?

Is this worth this and could I get matched to something in hyatt for it to be upgraded to diamond . If I understand correctly Diamonds who apply for Hyatt card get the suites , free breakfast etc

Well we're wandering away from the topic of this thread. So I'll leave my comments and links to continue discussions there.

For status challenge (match) see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...n-11-10-a.html - I don't think that Ambassador Priority Club would work since that is basically a purchased tier - perhaps Priority Club Platinum could work. The thread is lengthy but contains just about all the information available on the subject of challenge / status match.

I see that you've already posted in the Chase Card thread - so continue that line of discussion there.

PETERPNYC Sep 25, 2011 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny (Post 17170257)
Well we're wandering away from the topic of this thread. So I'll leave my comments and links to continue discussions there.

For status challenge (match) see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...n-11-10-a.html - I don't think that Ambassador Priority Club would work since that is basically a purchased tier - perhaps Priority Club Platinum could work. The thread is lengthy but contains just about all the information available on the subject of challenge / status match.

I see that you've already posted in the Chase Card thread - so continue that line of discussion there.

Will do.
Thanks

ariannasmom Sep 30, 2011 4:55 am

Recent Place Vendome stay

Recently stayed this past week at the Hyatt Place Vendome and wanted to provide some feedback, as many members of this board have enlighted me prior to my trip. First, note that I am only a Platinum and not a Diamond, so I did not receive the benefits of a Diamond member. Prior to going, I asked this board about coffee and places to procure instead of paying the high room service cost.

One member mentioned that as a Plat member, I was entitled to a complimentary hot beverage. At the time of that conversation, the Hyatt actually confirmed this, HOWEVER, policy has RECENTLY CHANGED, SO, THIS BENEFIT IS NO LONGER.

I stayed seven nights, all on points. The hotel is indeed lovely as everyone has said prior. My husband and I were well treated. The room was very small, but luxurious, particularly the bathroom.

The best part of this hotel for us, after walking miles everyday, was going to the spa and sitting in the whirlpool. Wow, that really set up up for a good night's rest.

The hotel is very conveniently located and note for all you Plats that are not given the diamond breakfast: around the corner is a boulanger called Eric Kayer that has coffee, croissants, pastries, fruit etc. This is where we went every morning for breakfast.

All in all, the hotel is a great one, although, as many here have mentioned, I would go again on points, but not to pay the high price.

HaryoS Sep 30, 2011 7:19 am

The hotel is belong to Park Hyatt Paris Vendome, and not Hyatt Place Vendome. So, theoretically, Platinum Member are not entitle to hot food & beverage ;)

Originally Posted by ariannasmom (Post 17197532)
Recently stayed this past week at the Hyatt Place Vendome and wanted to provide some feedback, as many members of this board have enlighted me prior to my trip. First, note that I am only a Platinum and not a Diamond, so I did not receive the benefits of a Diamond member. Prior to going, I asked this board about coffee and places to procure instead of paying the high room service cost.

One member mentioned that as a Plat member, I was entitled to a complimentary hot beverage. At the time of that conversation, the Hyatt actually confirmed this, HOWEVER, policy has RECENTLY CHANGED, SO, THIS BENEFIT IS NO LONGER.

I stayed seven nights, all on points. The hotel is indeed lovely as everyone has said prior. My husband and I were well treated. The room was very small, but luxurious, particularly the bathroom.

The best part of this hotel for us, after walking miles everyday, was going to the spa and sitting in the whirlpool. Wow, that really set up up for a good night's rest.

The hotel is very conveniently located and note for all you Plats that are not given the diamond breakfast: around the corner is a boulanger called Eric Kayer that has coffee, croissants, pastries, fruit etc. This is where we went every morning for breakfast.

All in all, the hotel is a great one, although, as many here have mentioned, I would go again on points, but not to pay the high price.

PETERPNYC Oct 1, 2011 8:41 am

I would like to thank you very much for this important post. Is that Eric Kayer a sit down place or just take out ? As I am planning to go there for 4 nights and will only achieve platinum status by getting the hyatt card I will Be in the same boat as you were.

If I go on chase UR points I will not even be platinum. I have to get the chase hyatt card to attain Pl . Will I get anything less than you did as a Gold ambassador ?

Any other hints/tricks to get diamond treatment ? I had mentioned once that I am an independent travel agent with hotel employee ID. Maybe a combo of that and a good old new York city bribe like 50 or 100 euros might work.

Any other value added hints, suggestions would be appreciated .

Any other suggestions for reasonable

stevens397 Oct 1, 2011 10:45 am

We stayed at Starwood's Prince de Galles a number of times. Each time we did the same thing as Arianna's Mom - went down the block (less than 2 minute walk) and had our "continental" breakfast at a little bistro - after all, it's Paris.

Going back in December to the PH for the third time. The first time, I was Platinum and the last time Diamond. The difference was that last time we had a massive breakfast each day followed by a relatively early dinner (like 5:30 PM). No, I would not pay 48 Euro each for breakfast but the way it worked out saved us a bundle. This time we are using the Capital One Hyatt certificates to pay for our stays. Booking it through Virtuoso or AMEX FHR will get you some definite perks including Continental Breakfast, internet, late check-out, etc. If you are using a credit card that will pay your bill (rather than using points), this might be a good option and can save you a lot of money.

As to the past poster, alas, I know of no easy path to Diamond and that's one reason I will probably lose that status. Still praying for a double-stay promotion before the end of the year

Pickles Oct 1, 2011 11:31 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17203181)
I would like to thank you very much for this important post. Is that Eric Kayer a sit down place or just take out ? As I am planning to go there for 4 nights and will only achieve platinum status by getting the hyatt card I will Be in the same boat as you were.

The Eric Kayser bread shop also has tables in the back, and sells sandwiches, quiches, and soups.

ariannasmom Oct 2, 2011 5:16 am

As mentioned already, the complimentary coffee is gone! The Eric Kayser is just steps away..easy! You can sit down or take away. They have a lovely selection of pastries/croissants/fruits/salads etc at reasonable prices. They open at 7:00 am and close at 7:30 pm.

FYI, my husband and I never ate in the area for lunch or dinner. We took the metro to the left bank most of the time where the offerings for dinner were much better.

Firewind Oct 2, 2011 7:46 am

Originally Posted by ariannasmom (Post 17206574)
FYI, my husband and I never ate in the area for lunch or dinner. We took the metro to the left bank most of the time where the offerings for dinner were much better.

For those not ready on their first day to make it over to the 5th, it's a 10 minute walk over to the place du Marché St-Honoré, where there is a row of cafés/bistros with blackboard menus and outdoor seating that face an outdoor market. (There's also an Apple Co.-type all-glass building. :rolleyes:) As nice and large a lamb shank with white beans as I've ever had. There's also a Franprix off to the side for picking up necessities from 9-9 (OK, the umpteenth time this has been mentioned here). On your way to it along rue des Capucines/Danielle Casanova, you'll pass a number of indoor-only bistros - small, with copper lighting and walls of mirrors - where you can also get coffee in the morning. Also along there is an inexpensive atmospheric Moroccan place that serves bountiful couscous and - yup - lamb shanks.

PETERPNYC Oct 2, 2011 8:18 am

Originally Posted by stevens397 (Post 17203639)
We stayed at Starwood's Prince de Galles a number of times. Each time we did the same thing as Arianna's Mom - went down the block (less than 2 minute walk) and had our "continental" breakfast at a little bistro - after all, it's Paris.

Going back in December to the PH for the third time. The first time, I was Platinum and the last time Diamond. The difference was that last time we had a massive breakfast each day followed by a relatively early dinner (like 5:30 PM). No, I would not pay 48 Euro each for breakfast but the way it worked out saved us a bundle. This time we are using the Capital One Hyatt certificates to pay for our stays. Booking it through Virtuoso or AMEX FHR will get you some definite perks including Continental Breakfast, internet, late check-out, etc. If you are using a credit card that will pay your bill (rather than using points), this might be a good option and can save you a lot of money.

As to the past poster, alas, I know of no easy path to Diamond and that's one reason I will probably lose that status. Still praying for a double-stay promotion before the end of the year

My goal is to stay there in UR or hyatt free nights. so I am trying to get more creative .

I could use my Amex platinum personal to pay for any additional charges but that will not get me anything .

RichardInSF Oct 2, 2011 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17206989)
For those not ready on their first day to make it over to the 5th, it's a 10 minute walk over to the place du Marché St-Honoré, where there is a row of cafés/bistros with blackboard menus and outdoor seating that face an outdoor market. (There's also an Apple Co.-type all-glass building. :rolleyes:) As nice and large a lamb shank with white beans as I've ever had. There's also a Franprix off to the side for picking up necessities from 9-9 (OK, the umpteenth time this has been mentioned here). On your way to it along rue des Capucines/Danielle Casanova, you'll pass a number of indoor-only bistros - small, with copper lighting and walls of mirrors - where you can also get coffee in the morning. Also along there is an inexpensive atmospheric Moroccan place that serves bountiful couscous and - yup - lamb shanks.

You called it perfectly, I really like that area. So close and so many reasonably priced choices! And for those who don't relish paying E14 to launder a single undershirt, there's even a coin laundry next to the Franprix.