FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1307256-park-hyatt-paris-vendome-review-master-thread-aug-2011-onward.html)

stevens397 Dec 14, 2011 4:06 pm

We just returned from the PH Paris Vendome - I wrote about it on the previous page on this thread. I mentioned an issue I had with the valuation of the Hyatt Check Certificates where I was charged a 7% commission and that I had received an email from the hotel months before stating that they accept the certificates but saying nothing about that commission. Contacted the Diamond Concierge who tried to help but there really was nothing to be done. Okay - we had a great stay and it really didn't cost me anything - the certificates were from Capital One. Figured I would write a note when I got home.

I was, however, upset when the points posted today and I was shorted just under 5,000 points. Seems they used the worst possible conversion when I paid and the lowest when they calculated points. So I wrote today. It was a very respectful email - no histrionics and I stressed how much we love Hyatt and this hotel in particular - but I did strongly state that I was owed those points. I got a response within 45 minutes, part of which is printed below. This organization is so classy that they leave all of the others in the dust. There is a reason we are loyal.

As we continue to improve our hotels and services, comments like yours provide us with a valuable feedback in identifying areas that concern our guests. Thank you for your loyalty to Hyatt and for taking the time to bring your comments to our attention. In appreciation of this feedback, and as compensation for the disappointment we caused, 15,000 points have been added to your Hyatt Gold Passport account. 5,000 points for the difference in points given vs earned, 5,000 points for the money lost in the currency difference, and an additional 5,000 points for the inconvenience of contacting my office for correction.

I'm impressed and more than satisfied!

Firewind Dec 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Wow! To/from whom did you write? Would seem to be Gold Passport, given the magnitude of their response. Or Non?

stevens397 Dec 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 17627984)
Wow! To/from whom did you write? Would seem to be Gold Passport, given the magnitude of their response. Or Non?

Went on MilePoint to the Hyatt Lurker and asked for the address to mail my issue or, if she felt it was better, the email address. She told me to email to [email protected].

As I said, this response came 45 minutes later.

Firewind Dec 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Bravo again. Looks like you did all the right things.

PETERPNYC Dec 15, 2011 10:11 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 17617958)
Guess what? Platinum here. We (a group of six) did give a tip to the concierge staff which made reservations for several restaurants (six) and got tickets for some cultural events for a group of 2 - 9, depending upon the day. However, we didn't give the tip until the end, so they had no reason to base their performance on that. FYI, the six of us combined gave them €50 total and this was based upon the suggestion of a Parisian friend who we asked what might be appropriate.

In restaurants, we generally rounded up for tips and usually gave a few extra Euros, since we had larger groups. My partner, who is a waiter's dream, went behind our backs a few times and gave the waiters extra tips of €10 - €20 depending upon how difficult he thought we were at a particular meal. :D

Well I am glad to hear the ROUNDED UP the tip term used. I live in Greece 5 months a year and that is what is considered normal.

I also heard its normal in Munich , but a waiter ( LOL ) told me 10% was customary .

Living in NYC and ATH it gets a little confusing because I see a movemant to blur the lines bewtween US and Euro tipping norms .

I hope rounding is the right thng by the time I go in early April .

FWIW I just took a cab back from JFK and when I went to put it on a CC it had 3 automatic suggestions add 20% 25% and even 30 % tip on the menu

GoingAway Dec 15, 2011 10:35 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17632272)
Well I am glad to hear the ROUNDED UP the tip term used. I live in Greece 5 months a year and that is what is considered normal.

I also heard its normal in Munich , but a waiter ( LOL ) told me 10% was customary .

Living in NYC and ATH it gets a little confusing because I see a movemant to blur the lines bewtween US and Euro tipping norms .

I hope rounding is the right thng by the time I go in early April .

FWIW I just took a cab back from JFK and when I went to put it on a CC it had 3 automatic suggestions add 20% 25% and even 30 % tip on the menu

That taxi (and others) also gives the opportunity to enter a separate manual amount.

missydarlin Dec 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 17617958)
My partner, who is a waiter's dream, went behind our backs a few times and gave the waiters extra tips of €10 - €20 depending upon how difficult he thought we were hot he thought the waiter was at a particular meal. :D

You can't fool me ;)

ILuvParis Dec 15, 2011 5:54 pm

[QUOTE=missydarlin

You can't fool me ;)[/QUOTE]

You did make me go back and look at my original post to see if I actually said that! :p

MikeFromTokyo Dec 16, 2011 1:47 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 17632272)

This makes me realise how much I love living in a country where tipping is almost never required at all.

Back in New York, I rarely tip taxis more than a couple of dollars, unless a driver has been particularly friendly or helpful, in which case I would give more.

Outside of Japan at hotels and restaurants I tend to tip generously for very good service. A nice big tip can really brighten up someone's day.

ainternational Dec 16, 2011 1:51 am

FWIW, during my first stay at this property a couple years back, I ordered the Champagne Breakfast for two via room service as the "Diamond breakfast". It was fully comp'ed minus the additional gratuity I decided to add in above the service charge.

Recently I stayed here again for the third or fourth time and was charged the difference between the standard "American breakfast" and the Champagne Breakfast upon checkout citing that the Diamond breakfast was the former and I was responsible for the delta considering I ordered the latter.

Inconsistent, but I had expected to pay the delta in any case both times, so I wasn't upset; however, I'd prefer a consistent approach.

Globehopper Dec 17, 2011 9:56 am

Originally Posted by ainternational (Post 17637037)
FWIW, during my first stay at this property a couple years back, I ordered the Champagne Breakfast for two via room service as the "Diamond breakfast". It was fully comp'ed minus the additional gratuity I decided to add in above the service charge.

Recently I stayed here again for the third or fourth time and was charged the difference between the standard "American breakfast" and the Champagne Breakfast upon checkout citing that the Diamond breakfast was the former and I was responsible for the delta considering I ordered the latter.

Inconsistent, but I had expected to pay the delta in any case both times, so I wasn't upset; however, I'd prefer a consistent approach.

During an excellent, recent stay when I asked hotel management about the Diamond breakfast being capped at the value of an American Breakfast, I was told that they had too many Diamond customers taking advantage and ordering the Champagne Breakfast.

So this is their way of enforcing a spending limit--and unless policy changes, it sounds they may be more consistent going forward. The hotel does need to better communicate this limit.

This is not to say that you were taking advantage of the hotel (you did say you expected to pay more), but this is a data point to explain the difference in your breakfast billing experience.

edgewood49 Dec 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Globehopper (Post 17644659)
During an excellent, recent stay when I asked hotel management about the Diamond breakfast being capped at the value of an American Breakfast, I was told that they had too many Diamond customers taking advantage and ordering the Champagne Breakfast.

So this is their way of enforcing a spending limit--and unless policy changes, it sounds they may be more consistent going forward. The hotel does need to better communicate this limit.

This is not to say that you were taking advantage of the hotel (you did say you expected to pay more), but this is a data point to explain the difference in your breakfast billing experience.

You know it takes a lot of money for us to reach Diamond and as such I am not sure I am happy with this type of "reducing" their costs. Example now the Hyatt Honolulu is hitting us with a "resort fee' That includes many of the benefits of Diamond status. That one has a lot of us fuming plus their new manager has been less than stellar !

Back to the breakfast I am very happy with a full "American" breakfast and the Champagne is ok if there but ok otherwise. I need my eggs !!

Am back there this coming April for a week.

ainternational Dec 18, 2011 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Globehopper (Post 17644659)

Good information, thanks for posting. Yes, I have no problem with paying the difference, just want a consistent policy. Perhaps they're moving to that now.

PETERPNYC Dec 18, 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo (Post 17637030)
This makes me realise how much I love living in a country where tipping is almost never required at all.

Back in New York, I rarely tip taxis more than a couple of dollars, unless a driver has been particularly friendly or helpful, in which case I would give more.

Outside of Japan at hotels and restaurants I tend to tip generously for very good service. A nice big tip can really brighten up someone's day.

Thats the problem . Define "BIG". Big in NYC is 35-40% . Even more in some circles .

Goodmorning2U Dec 26, 2011 3:07 pm

First Stay at a Hyatt

Tonight is my first stay at a Hyatt and I am very impressed with the service and the decor, so much so that they have won a guest for life.

I had orginally signed up for the Chase promotion for two free nights with Hyatt, with relatively low expectations for the hotel (along the lines of a nice Westin). The experience has been the complete opposite.

From the moment I walked in people were welcoming me by name and inquiring after my stay. When I arrived early in the morning they allowed me a very early checkin (made all the difference in the world). There was a nice box of delicious Paul Hevin chocolates waiting for me and they later delivered a lovely bottle of wine.

After going to the room I returned downstairs to talk to the Concierge. I had almost finished a hand gesture which was going to be accompanied by the phrase "I need an American converter." When the incredible concierge, I believe his first name is Jean, said that he would have housekeeping send it right up to my room "Mr. Goodmorning2U". Keep in mind, I hadn't met him or any of the concierge yet.

Dinner in front of the fireplace was so relaxing, the food was good quality, and again the service was warm, personal, inviting-perfect. Be warned,they finish off dessert with chocolate truffles.

The gym is small but well equipped and the co-ed hot tub/sauna/steam room are perfect.

The Ed Tuttle sculptures are beautiful in person and the neutral decor soothing amongst a busy city.

A few points for improvement;

1. If they replaced the phones it would make the rooms look brand new.

2. They might also consider changing from a brushed gold finish to a solid matte finish.

3. The frangrance throughout the hotel is lovely but is perhaps a couple notches too strong.

Summary: Can't more highly recommend the Park Hyatt Vendome.