Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skj
I'm making this thread a wiki since there are issues that keep getting repeated (breakfast and transportation from/to CDG). Feel free to add whatever you feel is important - stick to facts of please and not one off exceptions (eg if you get an upgrade to the Presidential Suite on an award stay without any status - that's definitely a one off that doesn't belong in the WIKI - obviously you can do a regular post on it).

Public transport to the hotel from CDG

The best option is to take the Roissy bus to Opera. From there, the hotel is about a 5 minute walk.

The next best option is to take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles. All trains from Roissy/CDG head south into Paris so no worries there. Some go express all the way into Paris (Gare du Nord, so Chatelet-Les Halles is the second stop); others are locals, in which case there are a lot of stops; some are half-express, half-local ... but all stop at Chatelet-Les Halles; and there is no point waiting for an express because it is rare if ever that an express will overtake a local. So get on whatever comes first. At Chatelet-Les Halles, transfer to RER A for one stop to Auber (which is joined to Opera station). You will be heading westbound, toward the termini St. Germain-en-Laye/Poissy/Cergny. You have to go up the stairs and back down for the Auber-bound train. Do not race across the platform for the RER B because that will be heading eastbound, to Gare de Lyon, Nation, Vincennes (and, depending on which one you get on, eventually Eurodisney!) The walk from the Auber exit closest to the RER stop takes about 10 minutes.

Public transport to the hotel from Orly

Take the Orlyval train to its end at Antony, then switch to RER B to Chatelet-Les-Halles and continue as above. In this case you can just cross the platform from the RER B to get the RER A headed to Auber.

Breakfast

The breakfast at Cafe Jeanne is free for Globalist members but is 40-50 euros per person otherwise. A modified but still very good version of this buffet breakfast is also available in the room and is also free for Globalists. Tips are not covered but then again the theory in France is that the service charge is in the price.

Museum tickets & pass from the concierge

You can buy "skip the line" tickets to the Louvre or Orsay for 18€ each, which is higher than the regular tickets via the Louvre & Orsay websites. But being able to "skip the line" obviously adds some value. They will also sell you the two day Paris Museum Pass for 55€. That is a 7€ markup.

Phone/data recommendations:
Lebara worked really well for me. What you need to do:
• You must unlock your phone (you can do this for free online with ATT through their website if you are out of contract)
• Order free SIM card at Lebara.fr a few weeks before your trip. I don’t think it took more than 2 weeks for my SIM card to arrive
• Activate SIM card at https://www.lebara.fr/activate-sim-detail?isoCode=en_GB or search “activate SIM” at Lebara.fr
• Load your SIM card with what you need. I paid 10 euro for 3G of data, unlimited SMS and local calls for 10 days (this should be plenty for most tourists)
LeFrench Mobile did not work so well for me: I paid 20-30 euro for local and international calls for my sister but was only able to make local calls and SMS

restaurant recommendations:
Nearby:
(We're here on 1 Oct 2021 and it appears this restaurant is closed permanently ...) Le Cap Bourbon- good, inexpensive, our server was nice and attentive (by French standards), great local crowd, menu has English translation
We ate a local Thai restaurant - Yo - its about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and very busy. I had a guinea fowl green curry - a first for me. Very good food and friendly service.

Other:
L'Avant Comptoir is a wine bar with great,relatively cheap eats and a great atmosphere and friendly, English-speaking staff. Standing room only and tight.

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Paris-Vendôme REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (Aug 2011 onward)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I agree with all the post but encourage you to try the subway, it's the most efficient cheapest way around Paris. Watch as you ANYWHERE in Europe for pickpockets make sure carry minimal and have your GF keep her purse close, real close. On subway watch out for Gypsy's.

Enjoy go to the Latin Quarter for food
Oh, yes. I meant to mention the Metro (and RER) also. We use it almost exclusively to get around unless out after it closes for the night. And get the Metro Paris Subway app (the one that by Presselite). You can plan your trip, get notifications, etc. on closures and delays. With that app and Google maps, I never carry a map anymore.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Oh, yes. I meant to mention the Metro (and RER) also. We use it almost exclusively to get around unless out after it closes for the night. And get the Metro Paris Subway app (the one that by Presselite). You can plan your trip, get notifications, etc. on closures and delays. With that app and Google maps, I never carry a map anymore.
The Apple app is fantastic! They have one for Rome as well.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I agree with all the post but encourage you to try the subway, it's the most efficient cheapest way around Paris. Watch as you ANYWHERE in Europe for pickpockets make sure carry minimal and have your GF keep her purse close, real close.

Enjoy go to the Latin Quarter for food
I agree! I love how cheap and easy the subway is. However, I found that if you're traveling with the family/friends Uber is about break even. Had the wife and toddler with me last time and when the kiddo got too tired to walk we hopped an Uber a few times and it ended up being about $0.30 more than the subway. So as long as it has been reinstated, it's also a good option (along with walking ;-P)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by DjRashonal
I agree! I love how cheap and easy the subway is. However, I found that if you're traveling with the family/friends Uber is about break even. Had the wife and toddler with me last time and when the kiddo got too tired to walk we hopped an Uber a few times and it ended up being about $0.30 more than the subway. So as long as it has been reinstated, it's also a good option (along with walking ;-P)
Thats a great point and will try it this fall, do they pick up at CDG?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:22 pm

Programs: GP Dia, HH Dia, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Thats a great point and will try it this fall, do they pick up at CDG?
Yup! My buddy who lives there gets picked up from CDG to the 3rd Arr. says it costs around $45Eur ( https://www.uber.com/cities/paris/ should show flat rates and base rates. Crazy cheap!)
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:50 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Watch as you ANYWHERE in Europe for pickpockets make sure carry minimal and have your GF keep her purse close, real close.
I cannot emphasize this enough. I was a victim of a pickpocket last year in Paris. Please "faites attention!"
Old Mar 23, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Watch as you ANYWHERE in Europe for pickpockets make sure carry minimal and have your GF keep her purse close, real close.
Can't agree more. After 20 years of extensive international travel, I got too comfortable and had my wallet (with passport and lots of euro) stolen 10 hours before my flight.

Still got on the plane without a passport. Helped that I was a woman traveling with a 6 year old. Good for me, bad for the state of border control.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly
I cannot emphasize this enough. I was a victim of a pickpocket last year in Paris. Please "faites attention!"
Remember a couple of years ago the staff at the Louvre went on strike over PP I remember the signs that have on the escalators warning of PP ! Milan is worse !
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

as is any other big city..... nothing new here.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
as is any other big city..... nothing new here.
Yep ! Just try not to dress like an American but then that's hard
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:47 am

I'll be staying here next week with my partner for an early anniversary "treat" before we head to MEX for vacation. Is it worth emailing the hotel to let them know it'll be our anniversary / a special occasion? I'm using one of my Hyatt cc's free nights, and I only have status from my Hyatt cc...
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by kthpence
I'll be staying here next week with my partner for an early anniversary "treat" before we head to MEX for vacation. Is it worth emailing the hotel to let them know it'll be our anniversary / a special occasion? I'm using one of my Hyatt cc's free nights, and I only have status from my Hyatt cc...
well if your using status from CC then your PLT so call the platinum desk and they will get in touch with the hotel

Paris in the Spring !
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:59 pm

well if your using status from CC then your PLT so call the platinum desk and they will get in touch with the hotel

Paris in the Spring !
I didn't even realize there was a platinum desk! Great idea.

& yes, Paris in the spring is great - luckily we live on the coast in Brittany, so we can go to Paris often, but our favorite time is April and late September - when the weather is usually warm & the crowds are still not too overwhelming.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by kthpence
I didn't even realize there was a platinum desk! Great idea.

& yes, Paris in the spring is great - luckily we live on the coast in Brittany, so we can go to Paris often, but our favorite time is April and late September - when the weather is usually warm & the crowds are still not too overwhelming.
We also have enjoyed Christmas time in Paris and will be doing that again this year. PHV is stunning inside
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:43 am

Just stayed here for a night, a few of my thoughts:

I find it frustrating (and embarrassing) that so many people complain about PH Vendome when they are staying for free and really can't complain about anything. Dark Hallways? Are you serious? If you can't tell that the low lighting of the entire hotel is clearly done on purpose to create a chic ambiance, then I really don't know what to say.

I was given an upgrade for free (it was my anniversary, and I informed them of this in advance - unfortunately my partner missed his flight so I got to spend a night alone in a beautiful / romantic one bedroom suite :/) and was treated no differently than those who had paid.

Obviously, being given a suite upgrade, a demi-bouteille of champagne, a personal welcome letter, etc. is going to skew my review a bit, but I would've been just as happy in a standard room as the entire staff was perfect and more than welcoming. I'm honestly shocked that people report the staff being rude - I wonder if they just aren't used to the "French way." Perhaps they were nice to me because I speak French? I don't know.

Anyway, if you are planning on coming here (either paid or w/ points / free nights), I couldn't recommend PH more. It is a wonderful hotel in a great location (again, can't believe people say this is a bad location, it's within walking distance to everywhere a tourist would go in Paris), it's beautiful and they make you feel extremely welcomed. I should also note that you are in PARIS, so you should make an effort to get out of the hotel and see the city / try not to just focus on the hotel.

For reference, I am a Platinum by the way of the Hyatt CC, and I was given coupons for 50% of breakfast, and another for 50% off a drink in the bar (it's very expensive, but with the coupon, worth the fun - the entire Man City soccer team was there last night).

Last edited by kthpence; Apr 6, 2016 at 9:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.